Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 98-02 2nd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #81
dieselbeef

Name: dieselbeef
Title: dick doggin
Member`s Gallery
how does it affect the lifespan of the vp being 10% higher pressures

01 2500 4x4 quad cab all stock/drag comp

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #82
me78569

Name: me78569
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Bosch spec says 4500 psi pop +- 250 psi. Which is 293 bar - 327 bar as acceptible range.

Given that peak pressure is well over 1400 bar, I dont see how an extra few bar of pop really matters when we think of vp44 wear. In my mind it's kinda like saying boost blows head gaskets...but maybe I am wrong.

Last edited by me78569; 01-17-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #83
me78569

Member`s Gallery
edit: peak pressure is ~ 20,000 psi / ~1350 - 1400 bar

Quote:
Pressure increases until the needle valve in the injector lifts (approximately 4,500
psi) and injection begins. Pressure continues to rise due to the VP44 pump
pressurizing the fuel faster than the holes in the injector can discharge it. This
pressure can reach approximately 20,000 psi at maximum fuel flow.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #84
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Well if it's going to be detrimental to longevity of injection components, that'd be enough for me.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #85
me78569

Member`s Gallery
I dont see it causing extra wear,

Consider that pop happens and pressure increases 4.5 fold if using stock bar, if using 350 bar it increases 4 fold to peak pressure.

I dont see how an extra %3 of pop pressure, compared to peak pressure, hurts anything. seems insignificant. The pump is going to push beyond that pop pressure EVERY time an injection stroke happens.

We can think that maybe that extra 40 bar causes too much resistance off the bat, but again I just don't see it. the vp stroke will outflow the nozzle flow until injector size is too big to care about these things. Regardless of pop pressure the pump is having to push against the resistance of the system at far higher pressures than 310 or 350 bar.

seat of the nozzle maybe, but again the nozzle sees far higher pressures.

I promise that extra pop is far less stressful on the pump as a whole than wiretap is, and guys still use wiretap like it is going out of style. Remember guys running wiretap are pushing the fueling solenoid duty cycle ~%30 beyond what it is rated for......Different components yes, but if we are talking about "hard on the pump" lets at least consider what the standard is for abuse on a VP44.

Last edited by me78569; 01-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #86
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
What year is this?

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #87
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
No wiretap for me. Still seems like common sense says the extra pressure means extra wear to me though. Besides I thought that the "breakthrough" of the v2 tuning was that you could now get away with running larger fuel/turbo setups, and be able to tune it work nicely?

Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #88
DODGEIH

Name: DODGEIH
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
how does it affect the lifespan of the vp being 10% higher pressures
To be fair 340 is only about 4% over spec and that's before it settles down...

And overall pressure created by the pump will hardly after affected.. The pressure continues to build after pop it doesn't stop in its tracks at set pop pressure

Old 01-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #89
me78569

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
No wiretap for me. Still seems like common sense says the extra pressure means extra wear to me though. Besides I thought that the "breakthrough" of the v2 tuning was that you could now get away with running larger fuel/turbo setups, and be able to tune it work nicely?
The V2 tuning makes it worlds easier to run clean with big injectors. no real breakthrough just someone put enough effort into the code to give the fueling control to the user rather than canned tunes. Framework is still the same, methods of altering fueling are the same etc etc etc.

Even with the 305 bar 7 x .012 I have now I can pass emissions which consist of a lug down test with a limit of %30 opacity at 55, 45, and 35 mph.

But what this is all about is if it can be "better". If no one ever asked if they could make something better we would all be walking everywhere. They really are simple questions... what are the perks? What are the downfalls?

Opinions are good, word of mouth is good, work from the builders themselves is good, but I have not see any data prior to this about what happens with bumping pop pressure or reducing pop pressure. Is there a dyno graph showing less power / more power? Does anyone have any opactiy data? track times? Anything? I would love to see any of that, really would. More data is good.

Why is a good thing to ask. The more we know the better. I want to know why reducing pop resolves issues with stalling when put in gear? The logging I take shows the ecm actually has to work less hard to manage idle state with 330 bar with 305 bar. Why? I dont know I would love to know. Why doesn't my truck have stalling issues? The other guy logging had it at 365 but now has none at 330 bar. Whats the difference between us and the other guys with stalling issues?

Last edited by me78569; 01-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #90
DODGEIH

Member`s Gallery
^^ exactly! Still from all the nay sayers and negative Nancys they're has been little to no decent input, any figures or data, any proof of anything..just a whole bunch of why do that? ..Don't waste your time.. Someone tried it years ago and failed.. I heard that doesn't work... And so on... Why is everyone so against making a good thing better. Why can no one stop and actually put some thought into it? Maybe this has all been done, as some ppl in the know claim, but that's all there is..claims. No data anywhere...

Old 01-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #91
me78569

Member`s Gallery
Plus I am bored now days gives me something to mess with. I dont recommend other guys do it unless they are bored as well.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #92
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Connecticut opacity test with a 12v and 5x0.022" VCO injector.

Click the image to open in full size.

Stalling issues seem intermittent, some worse than others, I've never found a consistent explanation.

As for dyno results it's pretty simple, if you were not involved and did not carry any of the financial burden, don't expect to see the results for free.

I've had several sets of injectors from different companies using the same brand of nozzles sent to me with excessive seat wear considering the mileage, this is irreversible and increasing opening pressure isn't going to make them last longer. Maybe it will help clean up smoke as you have seen, but I only see it as a temporary band-aid, the case hardening in the seat area is not sufficient for extended wear life.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #93
DODGEIH

Member`s Gallery
Is higher pop pressure going to cause more seat wear?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #94
me78569

Member`s Gallery
I don't feel entitled to have you share info if you dont like, there was no info out there so I asked and then started to datalog as best as I can.

Your knowledge is your livelyhood, thats fine. Its not an attack on you for not sharing, just that I couldn't find anything. I do applogize if it came off otherwise.

as always good info.

That opacity test is vastly different than ours.

This was with 7 x .009's on an emissions tune before I knew how they ran the test. I think I hit %70 duration. Datalog to show the process we go through here.

I am curious how the 7 x .012's do on power vs opacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGEIH View Post
Is higher pop pressure going to cause more seat wear?
It is reasonable to assume that it wil. how much I dont know. Another reason why I dont suggest guys do it unless they are bored.

Last edited by me78569; 01-17-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #95
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
I assumed the opacity testing would be quite different, but the orifice sizing was also quite different.

Regarding the impact on power, it is hard to compare since our testing is done at full load on a negative sweep, this style of testing will not show part throttle or lower RPM differences. I have seen a few instances where increased opening pressure helped reduce low engine speed smoke, however we found that a higher quality nozzle was a better overall solution to the problem.

I have seen better results from tailoring the specifics to match the end user's goals rather than increase the seat pressure on a production part.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #96
DODGEIH

Member`s Gallery
That's pretty good info... Now really what would be the downfall of combining the 2. High quality parts and craftsmanship, along with even slightly higher pop pressure? Say pushing the limits of Bosch spec at 325-330 bar? Seems like you would be in the realm of safe, and have the best of both worlds creating very low smoke and heat with the most power.... I mean honestly all of our findings so far are pointing towards 330+/- 10 bar (kind of a sliding scale with nozzle size) being the best fit, granted all of us are early on yet.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #97
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
being the ignorant one here..would not bosch have done any kind of this research to reach a recommended pop pressure?

also I think the statement was made that press builds beyond pop press by the vp..help me to understand that if the inj pops off..isn't the press releasing?

cuz im really just not following most of this for some reason idk

07.5 3500 4x4 dually 4 dr 6.7 d&j extreme, fleece cheetah, gorend triple, cat filters,

rip wrongway...

Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #98
me78569

Member`s Gallery
@smokem

I wasn't meaning it to be a direct compare on the opacity, just showing what process they took my truck through for emissions and the only time I ever get a dyno number. I am semi scared for the test this year, I fear the lug down will eat my driveline if I run the tune I have now and the injectors I have now.

I keep thinking about that set of 8 x .010's you talked about before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeef View Post
being the ignorant one here..would not bosch have done any kind of this research to reach a recommended pop pressure?

also I think the statement was made that press builds beyond pop press by the vp..help me to understand that if the inj pops off..isn't the press releasing?

cuz im really just not following most of this for some reason idk
Bosch did they spec'd 293 bar up to 327 bar in the documents I can find. Anything in that range is " ok by them" apparently the 330 bar I liked so much was just outside the spec from bosch.

The vp stroke will outflow the nozzle so pop happens at say 310 bar, but the vp stroke continues to push fuel faster than the nozzle can flow it. Peak pressure is ~1400 bar on the stroke at WOT. Remember that on a stock truck %70 of the fuel returns back to the tank.

Last edited by me78569; 01-17-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #99
DODGEIH

Member`s Gallery
Also Bosch wouldn't have figured out correct pop for the large injectors we are replacing them with, and talking about either.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #100
dieselbeef

Member`s Gallery
so bosch never used any inj in a cummins with a vp except the stock ones that cam on my truck? huh...

stick with a vco not an sac and the diff will be more noticeable than pop press differences...

rip wrongway...

Closed Thread