So when an LBZ is running hot I need to...

chvyrkr

Still learning...
Check what, look at what?

Unfortunately, I can't say jack about the engine's history. Just traded a 6oh for the truck, so my wife can tow more reliably, comfortably.

It's not the factory installed engine. Looks like a good install. The things I can see where done right.

It runs great.

Dyno'd 514 when we tuned it.

Higher EGT's when driving/towing than I see in my 7.3's...

But now, it got over 250 on my wife pulling her trailer the other day. She's supposed to go to WV Tuesday.

Not losing any coolant.

Water pump?

Stuck thermostat(s)?

How high of EGT?

I say clean the radiator / intercooler stack. They get pretty nasty.

And why isn't it factory installed? Engine was replaced?

So when an LBZ is running hot I need to... Give some real information?

I see one set of numbers for the coolant and that is it. What are the EGT's, and no we don't care about the 7.3. What is the trailer? What are the truck details? What tuning was done? Take it the engine was replaced or something at some point? Lots more info is needed.

Did you talk to brad? What are the egts? Does it have a dsp5? 514 is awful hot to tow with otherwise stock

Last edited:
Did you talk to brad? What are the egts? Does it have a dsp5? 514 is awful hot to tow with otherwise stock

Talked to his, wife? She said she needed two more Brad's...

He's booked solid for a couple weeks still.

EGT's with her show trailer (7000ish) were 900-1000 on flat ground @55. Pushed 12-1250 on hills. That's the trailer she was towing when it overheated.

Then it overheated again empty.

DSP5, live tuned.

514 is not the tow tune. I only stated that as evidence that otherwise, it "runs good." It has an exhaust and intake, fuel system, grid heater deleted, that other pesky thing under the intake is gone, batmowheel, etc...

I had a tow, and a heavy tow, tune made for it. I'll have to ask my wife if the above EGT's were in tow, or heavy tow.

How high of EGT?

I say clean the radiator / intercooler stack. They get pretty nasty.

And why isn't it factory installed? Engine was replaced?

Ditto, if that doesn't fix it, then the fan clutch would be the next guess.

Like I posted in my reply to Chris, EGT's aren't out of control, just higher than I'm used to seeing.

We'll get the front clip washed out, but it looked pretty damn clean when I was crawling around on it before we bought it. Clean enough at least that those being dirty enough to elevate temperatures didn't occur to me.

And I didn't think about the fan clutch, but it didn't burp any coolant when it overheated on her. Which is why I was wondering about stuck thermostats or water pump impellers. Figured if they were open/turning than an overheat would burp coolant.

I posted the thread to see if there were any "things" that LBZ's were known for that caused overheating. So, sorry if it seemed like a shortage of info in the first post.

The stack can look clean from the outside but be nasty in between the three units. Those egts are good and not the cause of the overheating.

Thermostats are easy to replace. The clutch fan is a bit tougher and expensive so I'd try cleaning the stack and replacing the stats first.

Sprung thermostat, I'm thinking it was blocking the passage intermittently. Replaced both, appears to be running normal temps now.

Thanks for your help.

Back