Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
CTDYoungGun

Name: CTDYoungGun
Title: Seth- Fuel Injection Guy
Member`s Gallery
"Best" Open class donor truck

So here's my current idea:

To buy a "cheap" older truck (70's or 80's Chevy or Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton) and essentially gut the drive-train and some body in order to drop in a 12 valve p-pump cummins with a 5 or 6 speed tranny. The truck will be built to run in the local association's "open class" which allows all trucks, tractors, etc as long as safety equipment is satisfactory and a fire-suit with helmet is worn.

The engine will be a mildly built engine (cam, head work, some lower end balancing and re-enforcing) most likely utilizing a 2.7ish turbo. I am not intending to build a nationally competitive truck, just something to run for fun in the open class and hopefully avoid some of the drama associated with specific truck classes.

The truck will eventually be built into a solid rear axle (tube frame utilizing the stock frame rails) and the front end will be allowed to travel, but with minimal movement.

So the input I'm looking for would be:

1. What year, make, and models have or could easily be built to have the most durable front and rear axles, driveshafts, etc?

2. What year, make, and model would have the best frame design to be welded to and retain it's strength while pulling?

3. Any other USEFUL info about the do's and dont's of building a solid rear-axle truck and other tips...

I'm leaning towards a late 70's reg. cab 3/4 Chevy, but if another option is much better, I'm open to ideas.

Once again, this truck will be a "play truck" only, and hopefully be built dependable while staying on a reasonable budget and as for now it's only a current "toy project" idea...

Thanks in advance

Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
JFlagg

Name: JFlagg
Title: Gun for Hire
Member`s Gallery
Why not just salvage a beat up, run down 2nd Gen 12V? You could get one with a manual tranny, D60 up front and D80 out back. Everything you mentioned, unless by "open" class rockwells and tractors tires like what they run around here...

Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
i have a 3rd gen reg cab long bed rolling chassis for sale.
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
CTDYoungGun

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlagg View Post
Why not just salvage a beat up, run down 2nd Gen 12V? You could get one with a manual tranny, D60 up front and D80 out back. Everything you mentioned, unless by "open" class rockwells and tractors tires like what they run around here...
The only thing about that is, even the run down trucks like that around here sell for $5K or more...I am almost sure I could buy a truck, then buy an engine/tranny combo for less than that...but I may be way out in left field...

Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Bosshawg600

Name: Bosshawg600
Title: PDP.com FireFighter
Member`s Gallery
If you dong an open class, why limit yourself to 1-ton and smaller trucks? Go to any junk yard and get a single axle truck and have fun with that! Already have super powerfull engines and trans combos and would def. be unique!

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
98xtremcummins

Name: 98xtremcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Watch ebay. You can buy 94-2000's kinda rough complete runners for 5k or less. Body parts are readly available and affordable too.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
CNeubauer

Name: CNeubauer
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosshawg600 View Post
If you dong an open class, why limit yourself to 1-ton and smaller trucks? Go to any junk yard and get a single axle truck and have fun with that! Already have super powerfull engines and trans combos and would def. be unique!
Yeah and if it's an open class you can start with something like an IH DT-466 for an engine with a P pump that's going to be hard to beat. McCormick diesel has a drop in sleeve and piston set for the DT-466 to take it out to 572 cubic inches which is going to be hard for guys running pickup engines to run against. The 466 should be as cheap as the 5.9 to mod and there is a wide variety of transmissions that will bolt up to them.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
CTD03

Name: CTD03
Title: One Hot 03
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeubauer View Post
Yeah and if it's an open class you can start with something like an IH DT-466 for an engine with a P pump that's going to be hard to beat. McCormick diesel has a drop in sleeve and piston set for the DT-466 to take it out to 572 cubic inches which is going to be hard for guys running pickup engines to run against. The 466 should be as cheap as the 5.9 to mod and there is a wide variety of transmissions that will bolt up to them.

DANG GOOD IDEA WITH WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT

Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
CTDYoungGun

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNeubauer View Post
That thought has crossed my mind, but does anyone know if any form of a "stock" drivetrain would have a chance? I would think a built tractor engine would require a bullet proof tranny, transfer case, and probably rockwell axles right? I do work at a diesel shop so the parts and building of the engine wouldn't be too difficult, but the drivetrain might kill the dream...lol

Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Many Turcks running a DT-466 or what ever already run rockwells and almost bullet proof everything! Heck if you realy had some time, I would buy an old single axle cab an chassis with a DT-466 (just picked one up for 5k!) and throw any body you want on it. Thant would be one sweet open class truck!

Im positive it would work and would be a lot cheaper in the long run than modding a 1 ton truck to get to the same power. Its Open class, let you mind wonder........

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #11
Rattlin_Ram

Name: Rattlin_Ram
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Many Turcks running a DT-466 or what ever already run rockwells and almost bullet proof everything! Heck if you realy had some time, I would buy an old single axle cab an chassis with a DT-466 (just picked one up for 5k!) and throw any body you want on it. Thant would be one sweet open class truck!

Im positive it would work and would be a lot cheaper in the long run than modding a 1 ton truck to get to the same power. Its Open class, let you mind wonder........
Is that a 4wd?

Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #12
Bosshawg600

Member`s Gallery
Eww, got me there! I didnt even think about it. I guess it would be hard to find a 4wd with a DT in it. Its worth a shot though!

Ive been wanting to do something like this for a long time after I get my truck were I want it. Just something to bring to pulls and have fun with, not competeing at all ( Less DRAMA!) and have a ton of fun!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #13
CTDYoungGun

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Just something to bring to pulls and have fun with, not competeing at all ( Less DRAMA!) and have a ton of fun!
That's what I'm looking for...something fun, because even running for points is not justifiable in monetary terms...so why not truly do it for fun...

BUT, getting back to the original question at hand, if I were to purchase a beat up old truck, what would be my best candidate? Maybe I looked past the obvious of a 94-?? Dodge with the dana 60 70 or 80 combo...

How about if I asked which truck comes factory with the most durable drive-train? And which could be built the cheapest into something that will last?

Thanks again for the input and sparking some new ideas...I think the tractor engine idea will be done at a later date, when funding is readily available

Old 09-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #14
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Late 70s Chevy is pretty stout and universal for parts.

A first gen would be easiest to put the Cummins in.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
CTDYoungGun

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedtexan View Post
Late 70s Chevy is pretty stout and universal for parts.

A first gen would be easiest to put the Cummins in.

What brand and model front and rear ends does a 76 and/or a 79 chevy k2500 use? I figured the older chevy's should be cheaper for axle parts since they are used commonly for mud and pulling trucks...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
2wpuller

Name: 2wpuller
Title: letting the smoke fly
Member`s Gallery
A freind of mine just got a 96 2500 standard cab Dodge body not that bad a blowed motor gasser has a Dana 60 front and a dana 70 rear for 800.00 got it off Craigs List.
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
MCS MidwestPerformanceDiesel
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Closed Thread