Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

dzlfarmboy

Supporting Vendor
I would like to hear some people's thoughts & opinions on these two cams, that have either ran/owend one or have had some seat time in a truck that has had one. No BS if you havent ran one or have no knowledge on them, need not apply.

Thanks Brett

I'll let y-all know on this Max Spool III that arrived on my doorstep for testing soon..... It's going in a P-pumped 24V with twins......:evil :evil

I am waiting on pushrods:poke: as we speak.....

Last edited:
I have had both on my truck and they are both good cams. I currently have maxspool in my truck now and did notice the egt's drop a little more with the maxspool.
W1cked

WUnderwood said:
what is the price difference?

I believe it's around a $300 difference

Im trying to decide which one to go with, and just want to get a feel of what everyone with one thinks, Thanks on the replies with first hand experience.

Brett

I'll say this, I had asked Don for a custom ground cam, and to no avail, he just wasn't interested- he'd rather I bought an off the shelf cam from him Helix 2- Helix 3.... I do know these are good cams he has- made off of good UGL's, but again I needed a custom grind to test- not a long term cam, wanted to test a profile....

Greg on the otherhand, believe it or not- had the time to discuss profiles and co-ordinate with his cam grinder a profile close to what I wanted and in a weeks time the UPS truck was leaving a package at my door..... Soon my testing of this Max Spool III Cam will commense and I will let y-all know my findings.

This is in no way shape or form a post designed to slap Don's products- he DOES make great products but I just couldn't find a slot where he had time to suit my needs. I even tried to just purchase a UGL blank from him- no-dice! And completely UNDERSTANDABLE! But the Helix line is a good line also...

So let's see how this Max Spool III does.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
Duallie,

No hard feelings at all. I wanted you to use a Steel Billet cam. Not a casting. A Big ol P pump and RPM really needs a gas carbed steel cam. Nothing less, IMO only of course.

What the heck do I know..........LOL

Don M said:
Duallie,

No hard feelings at all. I wanted you to use a Steel Billet cam. Not a casting. A Big ol P pump and RPM really needs a gas carbed steel cam. Nothing less, IMO only of course.

Hey no problem here DonM. Again this bumpstick is for testing purposes, I'd still like to get my hands on 2 of those UGL's or talk about some custom grinding if you can find some time.......

Don M said:
Duallie,

I do know of a certain cam that OOOOOOOOOH SNAPPED!!

Anybody ever had 2 side by side and looked close at the lobe profiles, If so what were their differences?

Thanks Brett

The camshaft in a Cummins is a weak link. If you are running a P pump, higher than stock rack travel, and have a tendency to lift your foot quickly off the pedal, you have all ya need to break a cam.

The P pump uses tremendous HP to drive it directly off the camshaft gear. P pumps break em because its like loading up a spring with 25 plus HP drag and letting that spring go when you lift the pedal.

In comparison, a VP44 will use 1/6th the power of a stock P7100 pump and the CP3 uses even less, 1/10th. Thats why you never see broken cams in a VP and CP3 truck. I have never seen it.

If you run a P pump with heavy drag, RPM, and high power, you need a gas carbed steel billet cam for a more bullet proof system. Cast iron or ductile cast iron can only carry so much load.

Still cam failures are rare, but when they occur, you can whipe out an entire engine

Don M said:
The camshaft in a Cummins is a weak link. If you are running a P pump, higher than stock rack travel, and have a tendency to lift your foot quickly off the pedal, you have all ya need to break a cam.

The P pump uses tremendous HP to drive it directly off the camshaft gear. P pumps break em because its like loading up a spring with 25 plus HP drag and letting that spring go when you lift the pedal.

In comparison, a VP44 will use 1/6th the power of a stock P7100 pump and the CP3 uses even less, 1/10th. Thats why you never see broken cams in a VP and CP3 truck. I have never seen it.

If you run a P pump with heavy drag, RPM, and high power, you need a gas carbed steel billet cam for a more bullet proof system. Cast iron or ductile cast iron can only carry so much load.

Still cam failures are rare, but when they occur, you can whipe out an entire engine

I'll remember that...lift gently! Of course, if I don't, it barks the charger HARD too:D

Good info in here!
Chris

Back