My Engine Idea

sounds like you need a better computer. Which makes a big difference with any cad program. I have a component chassis tractor with sheetmetal rearend designed.up in fusion 360. every single piece just like in the real world is its own component. The sheetmetal rearend parts, hitch, tubing, machined parts like.planetaries, steering components, wheels, tires, body sheetmetal all in one file. No crashing on my laptop.

Our tiny machine shop in the back uses Fusion360 as well. They love it.

sounds like you need a better computer. Which makes a big difference with any cad program. I have a component chassis tractor with sheetmetal rearend designed.up in fusion 360. every single piece just like in the real world is its own component. The sheetmetal rearend parts, hitch, tubing, machined parts like.planetaries, steering components, wheels, tires, body sheetmetal all in one file. No crashing on my laptop.

You must not have very many versions or sketches, then. It doesn't matter what computer I am on with one of my files. It takes 10 minutes to open. It is on version 120+, though. I know I am not the only one with this complaint using Fusion.

You must not have very many versions or sketches, then. It doesn't matter what computer I am on with one of my files. It takes 10 minutes to open. It is on version 120+, though. I know I am not the only one with this complaint using Fusion.

Maybe I'm just using it differently. A bare chassis alone has 170-200 sperate components without anything attached.

A lot of it depends on the little stuff inside of the sketches and components as well. Files tend to slow down quickly on it if you have 100+sketches even if there are only a few components. I can move the components to a new file and choose to not save the design history and that helps get it back up to speed. I enjoy Fusion mostly. That is my only complaint on it. The CAM can be cumbersome to eliminate wasted motions on some parts but hey it is very affordable.

Interesting reading here for sure. Yall stop cussing AutoCAD. I've been using it since 1995 and it is the one program that never crashes or gives me schidt...but I only do 2D stuff with it. Solidworks is the biggest pile of steaming excrement out there....but I use it everyday. It is easy to learn, very versatile, but it is like a bottle of red wine balanced on a toothpick over momma's white carpet. If you sneeze, the SOB crashes. I'm conditioned to hit save every 2 minutes.

Try doing 3D terrain modelling with AutoCAD (2018 Civil3D package). I save often with big surfaces. :D But in all honesty, it is a pretty stable program. Much better than even a few years ago with ACAD 2008.

Sorry back on topic.

Back to the "3D printing" a block, think it would be possible to set up a robotic welder to do just that? Get a chunk of aluminum sheet metal as the starting base, like either the oil pan or head side of the block and just have it build weld up on it in the block's design.

What does a barrel of aluminum welding wire cost?

I had to serve on the Grand Jury a couple days last week.

One of the cases involved a high speed chase with, you guessed it, a VR-6 Jetta.

Our county officer gave up pursuit at the county line. He proceeded on in support capacity as the neighboring county deputies, state police, and local law enforcement made attempts to stop the guy. He got away and was later apprehended.

How do I know it was a VR-6? I asked the arresting officer if the Jetta was a diesel or a gas. Just so happens, he is a VR-6 fan. LOL

Lots of crazy ideas on this thing floating around in that empty space between my ears. It will be nice when I can devote more time to some of these ideas.

EnduringAtlas, I'd say it would be possible. Not cost effective, but, possible.

Back to the "3D printing" a block, think it would be possible to set up a robotic welder to do just that? Get a chunk of aluminum sheet metal as the starting base, like either the oil pan or head side of the block and just have it build weld up on it in the block's design.

What does a barrel of aluminum welding wire cost?

Sounds great in theory, but one hiccup in a 3D print and the entire build is junk. We have that issue with little plastic parts here. It would take a day or two to print and I don't think you'd be happy with the end result of a 3D welded block. Just my $.02

Sounds great in theory, but one hiccup in a 3D print and the entire build is junk. We have that issue with little plastic parts here. It would take a day or two to print and I don't think you'd be happy with the end result of a 3D welded block. Just my $.02

Still needs to be final machined, heat treated, pray to God there is no flaws in the weld, etc. Just make it out of a piece of billet.

Not to mention you would still have a chit load of machine work to do to it to make it a finished product.

Just curious, have any of you all played around with some drawings of the VR-6?? Anyone interested in spending some time on one? I just don't have the time right now to devote to my learning curve. lol

I ain't talking that $90/hr stuff I was quoted for a rendering. Lol If I would have had the money, I would have hired him in an instant. I'm just talking about a common person that might be interested in the extra coin and you must also show a bit of interest in the design.

I also want to keep everything posted right here for everyone to see. So you would have to be OK with the CompD criticism.

Not what I was expecting. I thought you were going to hit us with this, which follows a company I'm sure you've mentioned elsewhere. I think this is amazing technology, but there's something holding it back. Likely durability and cost. Several OE manufacturers developed it and subsequently dropped it in the late 90's.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2mTriy9oQM"]Koenigsegg Subsidiary Shows Camless Engine - Freevalve G6 Rrail - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I looked at the Koenigsegg valve. Specifically because he is the fella that also has the torque converter transmission.

I did more researching on the springless valve from the previous post, as one critic mentioned, to much heat soak is going on with different metals to accurately keep valve lash in check.

I had spoken with the "Thunder Brake" fellas about their compression engine brake. This man is essentially doing the same thing as the Koenigsegg valve, only all they have to control is the exhaust valve and the particular control event is no where near as involved as the complete combustion cycle. However, opening up an exhaust valve with cylinder pressure under it has become a problem.

I am soaking up all the info and tech I can. However, I have to keep it real for my familiar world. For now, probably best just to "KISS" for the meantime.

I am trying to tighten up the bottom of the cylinders. Now that I am using the computer to draw with, I have found some pretty big errors in my hand drawings.

Would anyone know if it is acceptable to allow a portion of the piston skirt to extend beyond the bottom of the cylinders?

Edit: Found this:

nitro-nitroblog-cutaway-big-block-chevy-427-3.jpg

Last edited:
I also found this image:

cummins_cutaway.jpg

So I believe I've answered my own question. This is good. In order to keep the engine as narrow as possible, allowing the piston skirt to extend beyond the bottom of the crankcase will allow me to tighten up the Center Line of the three bank bore spacing.

Back