ALH TDI problems

6'4 and 425 here. I feel guilty every time I get in the car. It does a great job of dragging me around though.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Admit it though. I know I make the car look small being 6'1 260 but hell you make it look like a tonka toy

LOL

I'm not that big now... I'm only 6'2" 250 Ish!! lol

6'4 and 425 here. I feel guilty every time I get in the car. It does a great job of dragging me around though.

Ha!! Now YOU probably make it look small... lol

These thing really do a great iob of toeting us big folks around!!

Heck, I put Me , Garmon, Darren, Phil AND Mecham in my 4dr Golf and went to dinner in TN for a tractor pull one time... It hauled well over 1000 lbs. that night!! lol

Okay... Update on my LIMP MODE issue...

It's been throwing the same three codes just about everytime after replacing several parts (glow plug #4, glow plug harness, coolant temp sensor, 109 relay under the dash, N75 Valve)

I've checked the ground wire on the fuel cut off valve on the IP.

Today the only code it had was the Glow plug intermitant code but here are the normal three it throws when it limps and/or turns on the CEL..

null_zps3e286f8f.jpg

So I spoke with another VW mechanic that used to work for the dealer but started his own business... He said I need to try a new MAF SENSOR before doing anything else... He said he found out by accident that the MAF can cause all type of wierd codes / issues even though it doesn't show up as a bad MAF.

So today I bought a new MAF... These dang things aren't cheap... It's great to have friends at the dealer.. Retail was like $230+ but I got it for $163 out the door.

I've driven 40+ miles of city stop and go driving today. I've done everything that normall causes LIMP. So Far it has NOT limped and hasn't turned on the CEL for any reason yet..

I'm not holding my breath just yet though... Last time I drove over 200 miles after thinking it was the new 109 relay that fixed it before it Limped again...

I'm SO Crossing my fingers on this one though... I can't keep throwing money at this thing!! But I now have an almost new car! lol
If this fixes the problem I should be good to go for a long while and can finally get with someone and buy a TUNE to make it run even better and get even better mileage!!

Any thoughts on this being my Fix guys???
Anyone ever had the MAF be the main issue??

Last edited:
Yea sounds about like mine. It will be fine for a while then it's something else. The car isn't happy unless its limping. There must be a point where there is nothing left to fail but I haven't reached it yet.

Should have just bought this kit to begin with LOL
Limp Mode Fix Kit (A4 ALH) - IDParts.com

Ha!!! Yeah! I JUST found that link a few days ago myself after hearing that i could be the MAF...

I've not yet tried all new vacum lines yet though... That'll be next but it looks like a PITA!!

And I'm not sure how hard it'd be to replace the turbo accuator either..

Yea sounds about like mine. It will be fine for a while then it's something else. The car isn't happy unless its limping. There must be a point where there is nothing left to fail but I haven't reached it yet.

Yup!! It freakin SUX!!

I was about to just sell it but I love this little thing too much!!

1000lbs ain't got anything on mine LOL

Try taking the tow slot and tying a chain from it to your buddy's 08 f250 ccsb and pull it up a hill cause his trans was blown. Around 8500lbs. Yeah it was angry but it def moved it :D

Well!! Bad News!!

Must not be the MAF Sensor...

The only other time it seems to limp consistantly is at 65-80 mph in 5th gear just cruising with minimal throtle input....

I went out and put about 40 more miles on it on the Hwy and it limped AGAIN!!!! Ugh!!!!

Thing is though, No CEL... I'll have to get with my buddy tmrw to see if it actually stored a code..

This Blows!! Wonder if it's the turbo actuator?? Mine never seemed to move much when I tried to move by hand... Guess I'll try that next.

Well!! Bad News!!

Must not be the MAF Sensor...

The only other time it seems to limp consistantly is at 65-80 mph in 5th gear just cruising with minimal throtle input....

I went out and put about 40 more miles on it on the Hwy and it limped AGAIN!!!! Ugh!!!!

Thing is though, No CEL... I'll have to get with my buddy tmrw to see if it actually stored a code..

This Blows!! Wonder if it's the turbo actuator?? Mine never seemed to move much when I tried to move by hand... Guess I'll try that next.

That's what I was thinking before I finished your post. Low speed, high load and the actuator isn't letting it meet demand.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Anyone ever changed the turbo actuator with the turbo still mounted?

Is it possible? Last I looked it's tight under there.

I would say its possible. A lot more room if you come from the bottom.

Bora Parts sell genuine parts way cheaper than I could find them anywhere else. Aaron is a hell of a guy too. Makes everything right and is willing to help along the way.

Changing direction for a bit....

After it limped last night on the hwy with no CEL, I went today to have the codes pulled.

Wierd!!!

The wastegate code isn't there now but a new code came up... But the Fuel cut off ground intermitant code is there as usual.... I'm thinking it centers around that!!

But I went tothe other guy and he looked up the new code... He thinks it has something to do with the teo relays under the cap under the hood where my new glow plug harness is.. And since I keep getting glow plug issue codes that makes since...

He found some used relays at his shop.. The 53 and 100 relays...
We swaped them, cranked it and checked again and no codes and no CEL.

So right now I'm currently on a 30-50 mile hwy drive to see if it'll limp again without throwing a CEL...

25+ miles so far and running good....

I'll keep ya posted...

Last edited:
Back