TPS potentiometer mod - kicks OD off after awhile..?

Rogan

US Army Tanker Vet
So I did the TPS pot mod as a test for some of my trans problems. One of the many problems was that the OD engaged way too early.

so I bought the 271-1714 potentiometer and wired it up. worked like a champ, and was selectable for OD engagement, as expected.. Maiden roadtrip: 55 miles. About 40 miles into the trip, 65mph (pot set for OD engagement 40mph, disengage at 30-ish), all of a sudden, It pops out of OD and my 4.10 run the rpms up to about 2700! wow!

I pulled over, checked everything. All looked fine. Re-fired the truck and continued on, and it worked fine the last 15 or so miles.

On the way back, about the same time length/distance, it did it again. This time, I just shifted to neutral (while still at speed), cycled the ignition, re-fired it, put it in D, and away I went, good as new..

...for about 5 minutes, then it did it again. Repeated process, and another few minutes, it did it again. This time, I just pulled over, disconnected the pot, and re-connected the TPS and finished the trip home.

No idea why it's doing this on extended runs. Short, in-town runs, it's fine.

This is on a '97 3500 DRW.
no codes when it occurs

I found info on a 150ohm 1/2w resistor on C2/p31 (ORG) for "gov Pressure out of Limits" and a C2/p1 (VIO) 1K ohm 1/2w inline for "trans temp"..
I'll check into this tonight, if I get a chance.

I found info on a 150ohm 1/2w resistor on C2/p31 (ORG) for "gov Pressure out of Limits" and a C2/p1 (VIO) 1K ohm 1/2w inline for "trans temp"..
I'll check into this tonight, if I get a chance.

I installed these last night. No OD at all and trans temp light on.

This morning, I bypassed theC2P1 resistor and got my OD back and no Trans Temp light.

Sounds like you narrowed your problem down. I had o/d lockout cancel sometimes and found that my brake pedal was dropping down far enough to turn the brake lights on cancel lockup.

Back