Just how durable is a s400?

Nobody has asked this yet, is there a minimum oil flow/spec that should be met to feed these turbos.

I know I have seen some numbers listed for turbos in service manuals, but never seen an aftermarket turbo with an oil spec.

I can't comment on BW turbos, but I 100% guarantee you that Garrett has all those specs in place.

And as for the screen....as much as I hate to say it, if the OP did that, he hasn't read up on the subject much...

If I had to wager a guess, I think y'all were low on oil feed, and then unknowingly pulled a wicked vacuum in front of the compressor...which would also contribute to overspeed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just thought it was odd to see that much variation in size on feed line. I know that CAT uses the S410 BW on their 3406/C15 and they are fed with 1/2" I.D. line.

Garrett even has a maximum on the smaller BB turbos doesn't it?

I can't comment on BW turbos, but I 100% guarantee you that Garrett has all those specs in place.

And as for the screen....as much as I hate to say it, if the OP did that, he hasn't read up on the subject much...

If I had to wager a guess, I think y'all were low on oil feed, and then unknowingly pulled a wicked vacuum in front of the compressor...which would also contribute to overspeed.

Yes we have the oil specs for all the turbos from the different manufactures. They are available...though they are OE specs, which most hi-po motors will easily surpass, BUT, only if the feed location is properly selected from the motor with the proper line.

As stated I use -6 line from the filter head... If that isn't enough, then I think you would have a lot of twins trucks failing too...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Yeah, I just thought it was odd to see that much variation in size on feed line. I know that CAT uses the S410 BW on their 3406/C15 and they are fed with 1/2" I.D. line.

Garrett even has a maximum on the smaller BB turbos doesn't it?

Yes, but the Garrett BB's are internally restricted so in reality you can throw a big line on it with no problems.

So the oil line size has me questioning if my -4 line fed from the 1/8" port on the filter head will be enough? I would rather change it now before I run into problems, I have not even started the truck since the charger went on. 78/87/1.0 t4.

I think it would just be a safe bet to find a larger port, being that they are oil cooled, the extra volume may help keep things running cooler. Just my 2 cents.

Jason, Les,

I hope you don't take this as a derail, and if so, I'll start another thread...

This is actually more of a question for Jose. From what I can tell Jason's engine should be using about 75CFM at a pressure ratio of 3.74, which would put the shaft rpm at about 87K on the compressor map.

The recommendation was to go to a 80mm compressor. What would the advantages/disadvantages of doing this over going to a larger turbine and exhaust housing? Ones that I see (or think I see...), is that going with the 80 would put it closer to the surge line, and going with the larger exhaust housing would make it harder to spool. Both should reduce the RPM? Not that the theoretically RPM is out of line...

I currently have one of FI's 488's on my 05, and a 480 (just put it on), on my 02 as primary chargers. Very happy with both turbo's.

Jason, I have an S475 with a 1.32 exhaust, non race cover, if you want to borrow it.

Paul

Jason, Les,

I hope you don't take this as a derail, and if so, I'll start another thread...

This is actually more of a question for Jose. From what I can tell Jason's engine should be using about 75CFM at a pressure ratio of 3.74, which would put the shaft rpm at about 87K on the compressor map.

The recommendation was to go to a 80mm compressor. What would the advantages/disadvantages of doing this over going to a larger turbine and exhaust housing? Ones that I see (or think I see...), is that going with the 80 would put it closer to the surge line, and going with the larger exhaust housing would make it harder to spool. Both should reduce the RPM? Not that the theoretically RPM is out of line...

I currently have one of FI's 488's on my 05, and a 480 (just put it on), on my 02 as primary chargers. Very happy with both turbo's.

Jason, I have an S475 with a 1.32 exhaust, non race cover, if you want to borrow it.

Paul

80 would put it closer to surge but with a 6.7 its not an issue. Also the 80mm wheel at lets say X shaft rpm will move more air. So for him to reach 850hp the 80mm would turn less shaft rpm for the 85lbs/min he would need. All these are estimated numbers of course. Now by going to a larger turbine wheel, it would not change much since to make 85lbs/min of air with that 78mm comp wheel, he has to spin a certain rpm to fill that particular volume. All the turbine side would do it bring down drive pressure, assuming that is the problem. But without the data we don't really know which side needs help. Now judging by the thrust bearing wear, the comp wheel was trying to make its way out of the compressor cover....lol. Now that is overspinning or like Nwpadmax stated, the screen can be causing a vacuum in front of the wheel which is quite often seen with using a restrictive inlet. Also you get buffeting in front of the wheel much like if you were riding in a convertible. The air gets choppy and disrupts the comp wheel. Basically it creates uneven loads on the comp wheel. Doesn't take much when its spinning 100K rpms.

I dont have a 6.7 to be putting out that kind of exhaust to be turning a 480...

j sorry to hear that your having prblems.. im sure you guys will get it figured out.. hopefully you guys get holister to make into a real pull then i would be coming down..
anyway good luck..

Jose what are you deeming unsafe drive pressure. The highest I've seen is 60psi at 50ish psi boost. The same goes for egts? What's too hot, since it takes heat to spool turbos. Also what's the 78li map range? Could you post it?

I dont have a 6.7 to be putting out that kind of exhaust to be turning a 480...

Glad it worked out for you and you were able to kick some tail this past weekend with the charger. Keep in touch with us.

Jose what are you deeming unsafe drive pressure. The highest I've seen is 60psi at 50ish psi boost. The same goes for egts? What's too hot, since it takes heat to spool turbos. Also what's the 78li map range? Could you post it?

On most setups....you start getting 2.5:1 or 3:1 you are asking for big trouble. Running without a gate is the main problem alot of people encounter as well. As for EGT's, they range on the turbine wheel manufactures.

So in your opinion a 2drive:1boost isn't too much drive pressure? Take for instance the 6 blade billet 75/83-.90 I got from you guys?

as per some pm's i got... this is how i set up my oiling system on the turbo.

i ordered a 1/8npt by -6 sae fitting. i drilled the step out of the fitting so it was a smooth flow right through the fitting. installed it in my 1/8 port on the filter housing. made my line using the same hose many busses use for oil. rated at 250+ degrees and 300psi max. for testing i put a block in between the turbo and line measured oil pressure into the turbo and matched it to rifle pressure of the engine at severel different rpms. match perfectly. the drain used 7/8 hose pushed onto the factory flex drain tube. got a straight block adapter, pushed it in and put the 7/8 hose on it. all is good, so far.

Jason
SBT/LCD

So in your opinion a 2drive:1boost isn't too much drive pressure? Take for instance the 6 blade billet 75/83-.90 I got from you guys?

2:1 is acceptable on bearing wear, but performance wise, if your 2:1 its time to address the exhaust.

Thanks Jose, My DP gauge setup is sitting in a box at the shop awaiting my return home... looking forward to seeing where i'm actually at

Back