Just how durable is a s400?

ISBeINSIDE

Left Coast Hooker
i have a s478li from FI... its had 2 pulls, maybe a dozen dyno pulls. all with no filter... found after my last pull that it had excessive axial and radial play. removed the turbo and removed housings found the wheel to have made slight contact with the comp and turbine housings. sent it back to FI, they disassemblied and inspected, found shaft to be overheated and thrust to be worn on one side. was told, that i overheated and over speed this unit.

my question is, is this what i have to look forward to? running this turbo at 50-55psi on a stock short block. have a 87/80 machined 1.1 turbine housing...
made 840hp, nothing to special.

feed back please

Jason
SBT/ LCD

What was your drive pressure?

Unknown..but was told 60+psi was still in the map for the wheel.

Didn't expect DP to be really high..T-6 foot.

Turbo only saw 50.

Turbo was NEVER barked and always cooled to at least 350*.

Turbo had maybe 2k miles

~Les

^^^what les said...

i'll admit i dont monitor DP. but with a t-6 foot and not tha t big of injectors (300hpish extrud hones). i dont think it should be that much of an issue?

i am going to install a DP guage when i get the turbo back, but i dont expect it to be an issue... my K31 with 180hp EH, never had a problem...

I know Cole and Cory have hit 70+psi and backfired their S475 a bunch of times, and it's still fine. What kind of bearing was it? 360 deg?

was told the 270 was good enough, asked about the 360 in this rebuild was told the samething... so fustrating...

I'd contact Majestic Turbo...they built me a S362 that I'm very happy with, and they were very reasonable.

I'd contact Majestic Turbo...they built me a S362 that I'm very happy with, and they were very reasonable.

At this point in time I just want it back to finish our the season, have 3-4 more hooks hopefully it will last that long... Then I will way my options. Just can't help but think I should have gotten a holset...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

At this point in time I just want it back to finish our the season, have 3-4 more hooks hopefully it will last that long... Then I will way my options. Just can't help but think I should have gotten a holset...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

What Holset Jason....

I feel your pain bd f'd me on my turbo i bought from them.....Had the same problem and less time on it and I had to eat it.They said it was the air filter that caused it but the few times it saw 45-50 psi it had no filter. Send the thing to Pius and be done with it. Have sprocket call him for you.

Could be an oil flow problem. What size line are you feeding it with and from which port on the filter block?

This is where a turbo tach would come in handy. Just because you are below a certain boost pressure does not mean you are not overspeeding it. Boost leaks will greatly increase the RPM's the turbo will turn at any given pressure.

Like Jason said we have abused the 475 on coles truck more than any other turbo we have ran and it hasnt had a problem yet. Still feels good and tight and everything looked just fine last time it was off. That turbo has been on the truck for close to 2 years i think.

Could be an oil flow problem. What size line are you feeding it with and from which port on the filter block?

have a -6 line coming from the 1/8" port on top of the filter adapter. the drain is the factory drain with hose extending it down to a straight block adapter. was agreed that the -6 hose was big enough.

It's truly sad to see a 2week old charger fail to dramatically and be told..."Your fault". Eventgough it wasn't ran nearly hard enough to warrant the damage....

Isn't there any quality assurance anymore???

Why pay $1500 for something that just won't last....

Jason...Hx-60.....I know a guy who can get one...and I know another who can make it work....!!!

~Les

This is where a turbo tach would come in handy. Just because you are below a certain boost pressure does not mean you are not overspeeding it. Boost leaks will greatly increase the RPM's the turbo will turn at any given pressure.

there are no boost leaks... but i will recheck it before the turbo goes back on.

Like Jason said we have abused the 475 on coles truck more than any other turbo we have ran and it hasnt had a problem yet. Still feels good and tight and everything looked just fine last time it was off. That turbo has been on the truck for close to 2 years i think.

i have seen that turbo make several 10sec passes and a couple 9sec passes. i have pulled against the that truck for 2 seasons and blow a couple head gaskets. thats what lead me to that turbo frame.

What Holset Jason....

i dont know maybe a hx60? ht3b as a single? or hell just go back to a silver bullet and hang a hx82 under the biatch and call it a day. i can still get hx80's for cheap...

Obvious some people don't know much about turbos in this thread with the comments made, but the shaft is completely blue and superheated on both front and rear bearing. Jason was sent a pic of the shaft itself. Also the thrust bearing is worn on just 1 side, which is an easy indicator of two things, either drive pressure/EGT's or overspinning causes this. No matter whether the turbo is built by God himself, you put a unit in that situation and it will kill the turbo everytime. We have the 360 deg thrust kits for the units as well, but in a situation like this, it will only prolong the inevitable. To fix this most will wastegate the turbo or simply move up on the comp wheel size if its a overspinning issue. No rocket science here folks.

I don't build turbos for a living, but the few I've pulled apart with blue shafts had oiling problems.

I would quadruple check the feed line, maybe it has a kink or manufacture defect. The 1/8" NPT feed port is marginal. Not big enough in my personal opinion, but I am far from a turbo expert. On my twin setup with HT4B, I purposely adapted from the stock turbo large feed port on the filter block to the bottom HT4B turbo, and used the smaller 1/8" NPT port to feed the small He351 top turbo. So far, both turbos are running great and show no signs of extreme wear.

Back