smoking tail lights

sweet99

i want to smoke my light but dont want to really get the gray look, have any of you tried putting a thin coat of high gloss black on instead. i think that black would look better on my truck than the smoky colored.

How about this color:

28641.jpg

It's Transparent Black Window Tint that I bought at Hobby Lobby in the model car section...and then cleared over.

love that look, did you put it on the outside of the lens. i tried to find some spray on tint at wal-mart but did not look in the model cars section. that stuff would probably be better than black spray paint

Yep on the outside.

Transparent Black Window Tint made by Testors.

Or there is a product called NiteShades made by VHT

Sand with 1000 grit
clean with wax and grease remover
Apply light, even coats of tint till you get to your desired darkness
Apply light, even coats of clear (I would do 3).

If you wanted them super smooth.....wetsand and then clear again.

i think ill go that route. do you know of any other places to buy it besides hobby lobby. i dont know if there is one of those in my area

Any places that sell model cars may have it.

Otherwise, you can order the VHT Niteshades online.
Hell, maybe you can get the model stuff online? I've never looked...

Or, if you know how to paint (automotive paint) you can mix some black and clear to create a tint and then spray them...

So today in class ( I'm going to school to do paint and body) I mixed up some clear base coat with a tad bit of weak black in it (also known as mid-coat) and I put a small dab of blue pearl in it to give a little affect. I am in the process of scuffing my tails now and I will be priming with Bull Dog all surface primer. This is an all around good product it is clear and adheres very well. I'm using the PPG line of products so I think I am going to clear them with 2002 clear. It lays down quite nicely. I have Taken some before pics and I am going to have some after up maybe tomorrow afternoon. Though I would fill yall in and where going to have to see where this takes me. I am not wanting a whole lot of darkness but some smoke affect. Well see in the about the next 24 hours.

We have done dozens of trucks up here with a few light coats on black and clear over it. Wax them and care for them like any other painted surface. Works great for the third brake light too.

You can see it here on the Hemi I have for sale.
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22830

yeah i got the third ready right now. It's going to be the first for everything just in case solvents try to have diner and eat away at it.

I forgot about this thread till i saw it again today. Here are the pics. Those are water spots on the tails not a paint issue.

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

roskoe those look great I think a little more black would be better but still nice I need to find me some of the older tail lights for my truck the smoth ones look killer black.

roskoe those look great I think a little more black would be better but still nice I need to find me some of the older tail lights for my truck the smoth ones look killer black.

They are almost to dark. If I am driving towards the sun and get on the brakes you almost cant see them. The pic's make them look brighter than they are.

My third brake light is cracking with VHT niteshades on it, any ideas on how to fix it and make it look right?

i wouldn't think that niteshades would cause that, i have used niteshades on my tails and 3rd brake light and no issues yet in the 4 months it has been done!

i am going to do the 3rd brake light and tail lights and then as far as the headlights, i am going to take a heat gun pull the glass off and then mask and paint the outter ring (everthing besides the reflector part of the headlight) black and then stick it back together... There are a few people who have done it. It looks sharp

Back