Is a 700 hp 7.3 possible?

I thought the diehard VP guys in the dodge world were a bit off until I read some of the money people have dropped on a 7.3 to have 700hp. Holy hell LOL
Depends on what you're after, a vp is one of the cheaper ways to 600hp. A 7.3 isn't a cheap way to anything.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

He's full of it....

When I think of a 7.3 I think of a flip phone... Some people still use them because they work.
Hell when I had mine I ran it off of motor oil filtered to 1 micron and cut down a little... Never gave me any issues running on it either. Was definitely cheap filling the tank :woohoo:
The motor was a good flip phone, one you could drop and not break. But everything else connected to it was a POS! The F'n thing knew when pay day was too!! $100 here, $200 there, another $100 there..... At least twice a month. At that was at 135k miles on it when I sold it! 89k when I bought it

Cummins or nothin' for me now. 6.7! :ft::evil:ft:

I also had a guy I worked with ask me about my old 7.3 and then proceeded to tell me about his f350 6.0 and how it made 700 hp (I was in my truck in gear he was at my window) I askedh I'm what kind of head studs he went with. I got a deer in the headlights look and he said they were not needed. I took my foot off the break and drove away... Ending the conversation

One thing I will give my old 7.3 is it sounded badass when I put the non wastegated 1.15 exhaust housing on it. The zing that came out of the exhaust when I let off was awesome

Thank you. The 2 7.3 my dad has owned over the years got 10mpg if they were lucky loaded and were the most gutless trucks I have ever driven...

I am sure they are decent with some mods but in stock form they are god awful IMO

Better than a stock 460 or 454......

I thought the diehard VP guys in the dodge world were a bit off until I read some of the money people have dropped on a 7.3 to have 700hp. Holy hell LOL

To some people money isn't really a big deal. It's not a super big deal to me. Sure I'm not going, "up in da club and makin it rain on dem hoes"... But I have no problem having $65000 or even $100,000 tied up in a truck. The enjoyment factor is there for me, different strokes for different folks. I do what I do so I can afford my hobbies, and if that's throwing 6 figures in an old 7.3 so it'll make XYZ power, what's wrong with that?

Last edited:
To some people money isn't really a big deal. It's not a super big deal to me. Sure I'm not going, "up in da club and makin it rain on dem hoes"... But I have no problem having $65000 or even $100,000 tied up in a truck. The enjoyment factor is there for me, different strokes for different folks. I do what I do so I can afford my hobbies, and if that's throwing 6 figures in an old 7.3 so it'll make XYZ power, what's wrong with that?

If you are willing to spend that much why not go mechanical?

You realize this in no way shape or form legitimatizes anything right? Spending that kind of money on a 7.3 for 700hp isn't being stubborn it is flat dumb. I understand different strokes for different folks but there comes a point where you should realize you need a different platform.

It isn't like 700hp impresses anybody simply because it took X amount of dollars to get there. That being said I didn't realize we had such ballllllllaaaazzzzz on here that "money is no object".

I don't believe it's taking nearly that kind of money to make a little power on the 7.3. But to have no problem wanting to spend 100k on an old truck is questionable. Especially when you can buy 3 times the truck for half of that.

You realize this in no way shape or form legitimatizes anything right? Spending that kind of money on a 7.3 for 700hp isn't being stubborn it is flat dumb. I understand different strokes for different folks but there comes a point where you should realize you need a different platform.

It isn't like 700hp impresses anybody simply because it took X amount of dollars to get there. That being said I didn't realize we had such ballllllllaaaazzzzz on here that "money is no object".

Why should I or anyone else have to justify what they do?

And now he has his 10 posts....

And for the record, the 7.3 is the best motor ever because Ford owns Cummings.

I'm still laughing at 700 on a 7.3 being easy.

I had a 7.3, it wasn't bad apart from being finicky, not too reliable, and leaving me stranded with stupid issues regularly. Oh yeah, it was slow and got crappy mileage, and the engine sounds bad.

I'm still laughing at 700 on a 7.3 being easy.

I had a 7.3, it wasn't bad apart from being finicky, not too reliable, and leaving me stranded with stupid issues regularly. Oh yeah, it was slow and got crappy mileage, and the engine sounds bad.

Sorry that you got a bad one dude... I have a fleet of 7.3 trucks man. Transmission failure, HPOP failure, injector failure, glowplug relay, etc seem to be the issues on the high mileage engines. Even then it's never been a constant thing. Other than that, pretty solid trucks.

coming from me someone who has put money that he is not made of into a couple different 7.3s. its not worth it. sure the 7.3 is a good old reliable motor. at least all ours have been and are. but the satisfaction you get by custom tunes turbos injectors is far from the same satisfaction you get with just about any other motor and the same mod list. imho

And now he has his 10 posts....

And for the record, the 7.3 is the best motor ever because Ford owns Cummings.

e2618a51.jpg

Back