Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
99cumminsdeere

Name: 99cumminsdeere
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
How to Set-up a Ring and Pinion

I have a dana 80 and 60 in my pulling truck and I am looking to go from 3.55's to 4.88's. Can anyone direct me to a good thread on setting up ring and pinions? I have never done it before and would like to learn.

Also do I need to buy a shim and bearing kit to install them or can I get by without? Do I need any special tools?

I figure I better learn how if im gonna keep pulling.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
jedeka

Name: jedeka
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Your rebuild kit will have bearings, seal and shims. I set up my Dana 60 and 80 and is trial and error. Bought my gears, rebuild kit and tools thru Complete Off-Road.

2005 3500 4x4 dually, auto, KORE leveling coils, 19.5 wheels, Smarty Jr

Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Lots of resources here:

Randy's Ring & Pinion

Good detailed instructions and I THINK a video or two. You will need a master kit to get the shims, you will need them, along with a set of set-up bearings that will slide on and off the carrier because the shims go behind the bearings. It's a very tedious task, so be ready for lots of trial and error. A lot of feel involved, too. I would also suggest a dial caliper to measure backlash.

I just had a friend put new bearings in mine and set it up right. Someone had been in there before I bought it and had it set up wrong. He's a gear head with lots of experience and loves setting these up and it took him a couple of hours to get it right.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Your best bet is to have some one who knows how to do it, do it and you watch/help. Not done correctly and the out come can be very expensive.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 04-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
sledshaker

Name: sledshaker
Member`s Gallery
Make sure you buy new diff case for the 80 model. They worked for 3.55 and down, and 4.10 and up. Not sure on the 60.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
99cumminsdeere

Name: 99cumminsdeere
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
If I pay someone what should I expect to pay in labor?

I just mainly don't wanna pay for labor a couple times if I decide I want a different ratio or stock ratio back in or a locker/spool ect.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
1pieceatatime.

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cumminsdeere View Post

I just mainly don't wanna pay for labor a couple times if I decide I want a different ratio or stock ratio back in or a locker/spool ect.

6-8 hours per axle is reasonable.

If you are just changing a diff carrier and its a relatively fresh build, its not unreasonable to just swap the carrier out and not touch the pinion, leaving just the back lash to adjust for less time.

If you are doing a ratio change ( one that doesn't require a carrier change) and the Diff carrier bearings are relatively fresh then its not unreasonable to not mess with them, but the shims will have to be changed accordingly.

If you are a capable mechanic that can read a set of mics and follow a detailed repair manual, you should be able to tackle it yourself.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits

Last edited by 1pieceatatime.; 04-30-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
$300 to $450 is usually what the cost varies on set up depending on area and shop.
You can expect to pay more for the tools needed to do that unless you have a press, spreader, calipers, depth ind, dial ind, torque wrench to 250 ft lbs, torque meter, and either set up bearings for the carrier or the machined carrier set up tool bearing blanks.

Last edited by Supershafts; 05-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Bolof

Name: Bolof
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I just chan.ged my 80 out last month to a set of 5.13's and it was very time consuming. I have set up many 9" before and the 80 was probably one of the harder ones I have ever done just because of the shims behind the bearings. One trick I did read up on to save a little money was that you can use your 3.55 carrier and put 4.10 or better gears in. You have to take both main carrier shims, the big 3/4" or 1" spacers that are on each side of the carrier bearings and move them both to the drivers side. It will push the whole carrier assembly over enough so you can shim accordingly. I wouldn't recommend this if you have a 4.10 and up carrier but for a budget build or a pulling set up it will work. I haven't put the power to the ground yet with it but I got everything to set up lash wise with a great pattern on the teeth. Hope this helps a little.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
That isn't really a smart way to do it at all. when you move those big shims like that you now weaken the side you put the extra shim on because you move the bearing out of the main cap that distance. So instead of using the full face of the bearing against the main cap now you are only using a part of it. Your going to be looking for parts pretty soon. If your on a budget then this isn't the way to do it. Do it right so you aren't doing it again after 1-2 hooks.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #11
Astaindsoul5446

Name: Astaindsoul5446
Title: FNG
Member`s Gallery
^^^ what he said,

Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolof View Post
I just chan.ged my 80 out last month to a set of 5.13's and it was very time consuming. One trick I did read up on to save a little money was that you can use your 3.55 carrier and put 4.10 or better gears in. You have to take both main carrier shims, the big 3/4" or 1" spacers that are on each side of the carrier bearings and move them both to the drivers side.
Did you read that on the internet ? and where ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
That isn't really a smart way to do it at all. when you move those big shims like that you now weaken the side you put the extra shim on because you move the bearing out of the main cap that distance. So instead of using the full face of the bearing against the main cap now you are only using a part of it. Your going to be looking for parts pretty soon. If your on a budget then this isn't the way to do it. Do it right so you aren't doing it again after 1-2 hooks.

I have to agree, that isn't a cheap trick, that is a expensive trick, you also very likely moved one axle out of side gear engagement spec.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
fox

Name: fox
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cumminsdeere View Post

If you think you will reuse the original gears, keep all shims in a group, labeled and tagged.
They aren't that hard to do if you understand the process.
I can do them and have for $300, but you have to bring the complete assemble to me. I will NOT lay under a truck to do it, or stand under one on a lift anymore.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
sledshaker

Name: sledshaker
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
Did you read that on the internet ? and where ?

I have to agree, that isn't a cheap trick, that is a expensive trick, you also very likely moved one axle out of side gear engagement spec.

I did this trick on a DD/2.6 truck. Ran it for two years pulling and driving on the street, not a single problem. It is not the correct way, but it does work.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Bolof

Name: Bolof
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I first learned of moving the spacers off this forums archive. Dates of 6-15 through 7-04-2010. One member even said that shied sets some of there trucks up that way that leaves their shop. I was just throwing that option out there. Like I said if you have any other option to get the correct carrier that would be the best way to go. When I was reading about it at first I thought it was a lot of bull, but after mock up everything seems good. Again I'm not recommending this just throwing it out there for conversation.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I first learned of moving the spacers off this forums archive. Dates of 6-15 through 7-04-2010. One member even said that shied sets some of there trucks up that way that leaves their shop. I was just throwing that option out there. Like I said if you have any other option to get the correct carrier that would be the best way to go. When I was reading about it at first I thought it was a lot of bull, but after mock up everything seems good. Again I'm not recommending this just throwing it out there for conversation.

Good for Sheid, they also sold a guy around here some high dollar s366 2.6 pulling charger that was at least .010" oversized for a 2.6 plug check.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
smokin247

Name: smokin247
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This is what Pure Diesel Power told me to do with 3.55 gears and a Detroit locker.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin247 View Post
This is what Pure Diesel Power told me to do with 3.55 gears and a Detroit locker.
3.55s and A detroit? In a puller?
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
smokin247

Name: smokin247
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
3.55s and A detroit? In a puller?
Didn't say anything about a puller.
97 nv4500 4x4. 63/68/.83, 5x.014, 025dv, airdog 4g 165, Hellman sump, steedspeed T4, bored .020 over, Mahle pistons, balanced crank, o-rings, valve job, Hamilton 188/220, Hamilton HD pushrods, SDX beehive springs & retainers, valair DD, and every bolt ARP makes.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
Fahlin Racing

Name: Fahlin Racing
Member`s Gallery
Overhaul manual
Clean work area
Machinist bluing
Mounted Dial indicator
Sockets & ratchet
Impact gun
Housing spreader (if needed)