What the difference in gas vs diesel 47re

05maxlly

I have a 1996 v10 truck and was wondering the difference between a 1996 diesel trans other than converter and vb. Thanks

VB and torque converter are different.
Some internals too I think, but they will interchange, with the above changes.

I personally went through this with a customers truck that had been swapped with a gas 47re and there is infact internal differences, nothing that can't be swapped out. Right off the top of my head i think the Direct Drum was different and the rear planetary is a 4 pinion instead of 5 i believe. I don't remember what else was different, i couldn't seem to find too many people that could actually tell me at the time.

Some of the clutch packs have different counts in them

Valve body

Torque converter

Planetary differences

Not aware of any ratio differences. The differences can be found throughout the ATSG manual. In different portions they distinguish what will be different between gas and diesel.

47 RE gas and diesel differences. This is mostly from memory so forgive me if I forget something.

Main differences:

*Front drum capacity. Usually only 3 fwd frictions. Diesel is 4 and it has to do with the position where the snap ring groove in machined in the drum. It sits lower in the drum itself. I have found some gas version to have a 4 clutch direct drum but it may be from previous rebuild.

*Front planet is 4 pinion and not 5. Diesel is 5 pinion steel.

*Rear planet may be 3 pinion instead of 4. In diesel application, the rear planet was 4 pinion aluminum.

*Overdrive brake clutch capacity is usually 4 clutches vs 5 on the diesel. Pressure plates can be changed.

*Overdrive Direct clutch count is usually 8 clutches with thicker steels and pressure plates to make up for the difference versus the 10 clutch in the diesel

* Valve Body has differences but it is usually the separator plate, shift control timing springs which include 1-2, 2-3 shifts, and TV spring from what I can recall. Now, the 48re valve body does have more than a few differences vs the 47re. Here I would stick to a diesel application.

*Other small differences band lever ratio, accumulator with 2 spring instead of one.

*As far as the shafts are concerned. They all interchange. I can not tell you if there are differences in the orifice sizes although I do not believe there is. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
This is pretty much a complete list but remember, Gas 47re vary based on what was their application. I have seen and worked on more than one type of 47re gas transmission.

Last edited:
Back