Organizing the tool box

redneckroot

It must not have spark
The time has come to start organizing all of my boxes and tool cart.

I'm looking for ideas for sockets and wrenches. Most of the socket holders stand the sockets up which requires a deep drawer. I'd like something that lays them down.

I like the wrench setup.

For sockets I'd really like a tray that lays them down. Keep the ideas coming.

I agree with Kleann. If you have to lay them down use a rail. The magnetic ones look cool but get old after a little bit.

For wrenches the same as Kleann also. But I also use the foam ones from craftsman: Craftsman Universal Tool Divider System

They come in two strips and you cut them to length. I didn't cut them and stuck them down. You could do a whole wrench set from 9/32 to 1 5/16 and still have extra for specialty wrenched and such. They held up in a service truck for over 10 years.

For standing up sockets I like the 3 row snap on ones. This is if you have shallow, semi deep, and deeps sockets. They have them in 1/4 and 3/8. I'm not sure if they have them in 1/2.
d114c1c985e9dda4d9696feb4179e3d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How well do the sockets stay on those rails?

The rails I have are twist locks. Good idea and nice when you take them places, but a pain if your not going to be moving the whole rail around.

I second the Habor freight organizers. They look almost indentical to the snap on ones that were posted earlier

Trust me the harbor freight stand ups are the way to go! They do not bounce out even when a semi truck takes the front end of you service vehicle

I like the strips myself. I can grab the strip I need and not go back to the box because I always get the wrong one the first time.

attachment.php

As for wrenches, I got these strips from I think Matco. Row of standards and row of metrics.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4911.jpg
    IMG_4911.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4910.jpg
    IMG_4910.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 0
Correct. We usually dispatch of 6-10 a year on our place. Timer Rattlers. Or velvet tails, which ever you prefer.

I like the look of that as long as the sockets stay on the rails. The wench setup is exactly what I've been trying to find.

I am looking to do some serious organization in my toolbox, and probably buying another one that is bigger because of this thread. Tired of having all my tools in different drawers because I don't have enough room. Looking at a 41" wide Kobalt that they have at Lowe's.

Anyone have any suggestions other than Letgo, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace to buy a good, preferably used but probably buying new black tool chest, that I can store all my hand tools/wrenches/sockets/ratchets/screwdrivers/etc?

Anyone have any suggestions other than Letgo, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace to buy a good, preferably used but probably buying new black tool chest, that I can store all my hand tools/wrenches/sockets/ratchets/screwdrivers/etc?

I'm waiting on my father to retire from his currently 64 years working in then owning the body shop. With any luck, his huge ass Matco boxes will be moving an hour south to my shop. :D I may need a step stool to reach the top. LOL

I am looking to do some serious organization in my toolbox, and probably buying another one that is bigger because of this thread. Tired of having all my tools in different drawers because I don't have enough room. Looking at a 41" wide Kobalt that they have at Lowe's.

I found my used SnapOn rollaway on ebay for a great deal. It was being sold by a pawn shop...

for wrenches I like these the best
Ernst (ERN5086)

but the ones that don't grip are decent as well.
Bottom-line pricing on Proto 3000R at ToolTopia.com

these last ones work well if you want to keep a large set in the same organizer.
- 6012 20 Tool Wrench Rail Organizers - Red #6012

I don't recall where, but I saw a set of these that were magnetic...even better than adhesive I think.

The company in the 3rd link above offer theirs in plain, adhesive and magnetic, and I think they are also priced much better than tool-truck ones...

Back