loss of mpg after delete

4WheelinFreak

Metal Butcher
So like the title says after I had the truck deleted my mileage got worse. Gonna add I'm not driving like a 16 year old kid, just normal driving with the occasional getting after it and 15-16 hand calculated just ain't cutting it. Truck is a 13 Ram 2500 with the 68rfe and 45,000 miles, efi live 4 position tune switch 30,50,70, and 100ish hp. Also if you let it idle the exhaust smells very rich.
I'm hoping someone else has had this problem before and figured it out cause I haven't had any luck finding any similar stories.

I believe they are Kory Willis tunes, I talked to the guy that did everything and we're going to try a different tune set to see if that makes a difference.

The fact you don't know who's tunes are in it bothers me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well who's tunes are for sure where I'd start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In theory any improvement in efficiency will yield more power and it is what we do with that more power that makes a difference... If you drive exactly the same after making improvements you will generally see good MPG improvements. If you get drunk on the additional power you will see losses...

In your case, could be something with the tuning or another issue, rarely have I heard of that much of a loss...

Did you take the valve in intake out or remove gears I have seen them stick closed then open later and cause issues like that

Did you take the valve in intake out or remove gears I have seen them stick closed then open later and cause issues like that

Throttle valve might not be a bad place to check real quick. If you remove the cold side charge pipe, you should be able to feel the butterfly pretty easily.

The 13 up SCR trucks don't see near the gain when deleted vs the non SCR EGR/DPF only trucks. The SCR trucks run less active regens vs say my 12 that regend all the damn time and chugged fuel while doing so. Give it some time and a larger sample size/more miles.

With the tunes I have and the truck being bone stock the power difference doesn't quite have the "wow" factor that some of my other trucks have so I don't really have a need to get after it.
No smoke at idle or normal acceleration.
I'm sorry if I sound like a noob but this is the newest truck I've ever owned and the only one I've had someone else work on so bear with me when I ask "where is the throttle valve located" lol

If I understand correctly, it shuts off the intake a bit (like a gasser) to create a vacuum for the EGR gasses to be sucked into the intake.

I am running one of Ryan Millikan's ( Hardway ) delete efi tunes in my 2011 and did a throttle valve delete and picked up 4 mpgs highway and also 4 when I tow my trailer.

Last edited:
Back