water/meth ???

Blue01Cummins

i have a devilsown nozzle that is the biggest you can get it says it flow 882ml/min is this ok with a stock turbo and a edge comp and 150s and the supporting mods for what i have done should i be running this big of a nozzle or what??? thanks

Thats way oversize. 600cc/m is the biggest you should use for that, even that amount should be split into two nozzles and preferably that into separate stages.

That is a touch big... Though the size is majorly dependent on how much you're overdriving your turbo and how hot the intake charge is...

Though the size is majorly dependent on how much you're overdriving your turbo and how hot the intake charge is...

Actually its not, its dependent on the air mass and quench point of the combustion event. Any water droplets left in the air will be evaporated during the heat of compression and, if its not so much that it quenches, combustion.

Yah..... Basically what I said... :) Depends how hard he's driving the turbo. Generally (not always) if you drive the turbo harder, Mass Air Flow increases, and so does intake air temperature, which raises the quench point of the combustion event..... Also creating higher egt's which is what we are trying to prevent...... So, you're exactly right, but it's exactly what I just said.. And, as a side note, there is a point where the turbo will cease to increase in mass flow, but will continue to increase discharge temperature.. And in those cases, more water IS a viable option, even though the mass flow is the same; due to the fact the charge air is much hotter and can evaporate more water...

But, all things aside, for the OP: Water droplets hitting the cylinder are BAD! if you have too much to atomize, then you have too much water. Pure and simple. :) (Oh, and it's not that the droplets are "bad" as per say..... But if you're getting droplets, you could be getting pooling somewhere, which "could" build up, then get ingested by the motor all at once. THAT is bad!!)

Hope this helps shed a little light on the subject..... I'd start with say, a 175CC nozzle and a 350cc in two stages and see what happens..... If it's not enough, then up em. :)

Yah..... Basically what I said.
No, not at all what you said, mass and temperature are two different things. The air mass flowing through the tubes before and after the intercooler is the same, despite the temperature difference.

but it's exactly what I just said.
That is false information.

And, as a side note, there is a point where the turbo will cease to increase in mass flow, but will continue to increase discharge temperature.
Thats called the choke line.

And in those cases, more water IS a viable option
Sorry, thats false information.
A turbo running in choke means its too small for the engine. Nothing will improve that situation except a larger turbo or nitrous.

But, all things aside, for the OP: Water droplets hitting the cylinder are BAD!
Also false.
See: Every gasoline engine ever made, and, nearly every professional sled puller.

No, not at all what you said, mass and temperature are two different things. The air mass flowing through the tubes before and after the intercooler is the same, despite the temperature difference.

Thats called the choke line.

Sorry, thats false information.
A turbo running in choke means its too small for the engine. Nothing will improve that situation except a larger turbo or nitrous.

Also false.
See: Every gasoline engine ever made, and, nearly every professional sled puller.

Yes, I know what a choke line is... But instead of just throwing that term out, I explained it to the OP. Yes, I know that a turbo on the choke line means too small, and that it ceases to flow more MAF.. BUT, it is FACT that the turbo's outlet temperature will increase rapidly at that point, causing (usually) higher boost numbers, caused by a reduction in air density..... Spraying more water in these conditions will NOT give the user more air, but it WILL cool the intake charge, reducing EGT's so you at least won't melt down a piston..

So mass air flow through the intake is the same from 5# of boost to 35# eh? That's news to me, as well as the rest of the world..... I said that if you drive the turbo harder, MAF and IAT increase..... Until you hit choke, then MAF ceases to increase, and IAT skyrockets. If you keep the nonsense up, then turbo goes BOOM.

And, as far as just quoting that statement about water droplets hitting the cylinder being bad, I love how you didn't quote the rest of my statement, which I shall repeat here: IF YOU HAVE DROPLETS HITTING THE CYLINDERS, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE OF POOLING, AND POOLING IS BAD. I'm pretty sure those professional sled pullers are flowing enough MAF that they could shoot a garden hose in there and not have pooling. But since the majority of us here on CompD that DD a truck don't, my warning stays....

Why don't you learn to read a post entirely before you pick it apart? I'm not sure what your deal is, but you seem to like to take a half of a statement from somebody, quote it, then tell them how they're wrong by twisting the meaning all around. That doesn't help anyone man. :(

But instead of just throwing that term out, I explained it to the OP.
You didn't explain anything, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Spraying more water in these conditions will NOT give the user more air, but it WILL cool the intake charge
Further overspeeding the turbo and reducing efficiency. Zero benefits.

So mass air flow through the intake is the same from 5# of boost to 35# eh?
Yes, to people such as yourself that have no understanding of how turbos work. An can HX40 flow as much air at 5psi as an HX25 can at 35psi, but not on the same engine.

That's news to me, as well as the rest of the world.
Is ignorance as blissful as is described?

And, as far as just quoting that statement about water droplets hitting the cylinder being bad, I love how you didn't quote the rest of my statement
Because your ENTIRE statement is false.

IF YOU HAVE DROPLETS HITTING THE CYLINDERS, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE OF POOLING

I'm pretty sure those professional sled pullers are flowing enough MAF that they could shoot a garden hose in there and not have pooling. But since the majority of us here on CompD that DD a truck don't, my warning stays...
Correct, your warning stays invalid and false information.

Why don't you learn to read a post entirely before you pick it apart?
Why don't you learn the basics of a topic before embarrassing yourself posting nonsense?

That doesn't help anyone man.
People with thick heads like yourself cannot be helped.

Back