Thinking out loud

RXT

I don't post much, but I now have a question. I've been in the process of building my Cummins powered Dakota which will be a daily driver & weekend mud bogger. Heres the quick run down

It's an 89 non IC 6BT. Injectors were replaced with DAP 5X.012
Turbo is replaced with a HE351CW
It has a water-to-air intercooler
and an Air Dog 100

The IP is a stock VE with M&H M3 fuel pin, 3200GSK and dynamic timing device.

Transmission is a 47RE, with a single disc TC, and full manual valve body. If it matters, the drivetrain is D60/D70 front and rear 4.56 gears on 41.5" Pitbull Rockers

This engine had been sitting for over ten years before I began to work on it, but it looks like the IP is going to need to be rebuilt. I'm thinking about taking this opportunity to do something radical, but I either need for you to talk sense into me, or tell me heck yeah…..

I'm thinking about buying a 14mm head. My main thought was, I wanted to push about 400hp out of this. Thats what the torque converter can handle and thats what the factory head bolts should handle, but the factory VE would be totally maxed and likely not to get there.

However, a 14mm, can take a VE equipped Cummins way beyond 400hp. I'm not looking for way beyond, I'm just looking for a solid 400hp and I'm guessing that the 14mm turned down will get me there. (In case you asked… why 400HP? Why not if I can do it?)

Is this a bad idea?
Thanks in advance
Ed

A 12mm will live longer even at 400hp. Your turbo and injectors will be your weak point before the 12mm pump is done.

If you wanted to get the most out of your motor with that he351, I'd stick with the 12mm pump and go with some marine 370s.

I agree with Justin. None of the 14mm heads have proven reliable on a ve. A few odd balls have lived acceptable lives but they were few and far between especially in a daily driver scenario.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Stick with the 12mm. Also at 400 you'll probably need head studs and with that turbo it'll probably get a little warm

Stick with the 12mm. Also at 400 you'll probably need head studs and with that turbo it'll probably get a little warm

It's a VE. He's gonna hear that a lot. lol

Stick to the 12MMVE. Nothing but heart ache and misery with the 14MM.

Can someone explain why the 14mm VE pumps don't live?

I'm also interested to know just how far a 12mm pump can be pushed with the right injectors and a set of twin turbos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A friend of mine has a close to maxed 12mm with pod's and 351/471 and it runs awesome. Pulls strong and doesn't get hot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can someone explain why the 14mm VE pumps don't live?
I'm also interested to know just how far a 12mm pump can be pushed with the right injectors and a set of twin turbos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The drive that spins the head is not up to the task.

You are at the right place.

Back