Helix 2

These still on backorder? Couple sites I have seen say they are and I am in need of one to get my motor back together since my cam gear has decided to start to walk off.

Helix 2 cam and Hamilton 110# springs??? issues with this???

Little birdie told me that brand New Tappets would need to be used......Any thoughts????

unless it's an inferior cam which I'm sure it's not... I doubt there will be issue with that combo. I asked Hamilton the same thing and he agrees, there wouldn't be a problem.

It's the combo I have now and the truck is purring right along.

unless it's an inferior cam which I'm sure it's not... I doubt there will be issue with that combo. I asked Hamilton the same thing and he agrees, there wouldn't be a problem.

It's the combo I have now and the truck is purring right along.

Great to here it's running....Pm details....If your not posting results

As far as the cam/spring combo, I'd probably still do New tappets just to make sure....

Anybody know what tappets cost from Cummins??

Great to here it's running....Pm details....If your not posting results

As far as the cam/spring combo, I'd probably still do New tappets just to make sure....

Anybody know what tappets cost from Cummins??

I know of a few running that combo, lifters arn't to much money but are fun changing them out. I would think your stock ones would be fine with fairly low miles on them.

I know of a few running that combo, lifters arn't to much money but are fun changing them out. I would think your stock ones would be fine with fairly low miles on them.

Well, I've never done it but it will have to be done anyway (By Jeff Garmon of course)...My whole block has got to come out and to the machine shop...:doh:

Lets just say ..she's hospitalized right now and Surgery is Required....So new tappets will go in anyway just to be safe...

In my opinion the tappets MUST be chaged there is a wear pattern started with in 10 min of run time! I know they are pita to change but i know that even if i had a bran new motor from cummins that had only been ran for quality checks I would still change the tappets if I were to install a new cam! I know that there have been many people who havent and are fine. so they think! I have removed many CR after market cams and the ALL have issues with flaking and none of them had the tappets changed.

I know I went off track but there is a BIG issue with the cams in the 3rd gens maby its the Zink bein takin out of the oil maby its the hard ness of the cams what ever it is it needs to be fixed and corrected!

Last edited:
In my opinion the tappets MUST be chaged there is a wear pattern started with in 10 min of run time! I know they are pita to change but i know that even if i had a bran new motor from cummins that had only been ran for quality checks I would still change the tappets!

It's settled then...New tappets are gonna go in.....Since the whole thing will be apart, I'd be stupid not too..

Btw, Is there anything else I should replace besides the cam, tappets, etc..?

It's settled then...New tappets are gonna go in.....Since the whole thing will be apart, I'd be stupid not too..

I dont rember how much they are but they arnt to bad! But you had better plan on adding about 1 hole day to the install to exchange the tappets and just hope you dont drop one :bang caus theres no real good way get the oil pan off with out lifting the motor up or out of the truck.

Can we get an opinion from Don on this spring / cam mix question ?

new tappets with a new cam is all good but, Swoles original question was about the heavier springs with a Helix II

I just got running a helix 2 with 50,000 miles on it over 2 years. In my opinion, I ran this truck pretty hard all the time and the cam came out better than I could have ever imagined. Since the motor is out, I'm sending the cam and tappets back to him for his inspection with a fine tooth comb.

Even thought the market has changed over the years, competition has increased, and demand has increased... Don has been a forefather of performance during a time when there wasn't many others out there doing much for the hobby/sport. I think the advice you are receiving is sound! If your going to do the cam, dedicate an entire day to be safe and change out the tappets.

Good luck brother with whatever cam you decide and hope you are happy with what you get. With a good cam, you will notice a difference in performance right away!

How many miles do you have? IMO Id rather spend the money on pushrods then tappets.

And also when it comes to cams Id go w/ someone who will build a cam with your specs in mind

Back