motor oil in diesel fuel

'Powerstroke7.3

Hearing Impaired
So I got this Idea actually from this site. If you arent adding alittle motor oil to your diesel, you should be. I have about a two mpg gain. The only thing that I contest is they say it should just be SAE 30. I was brave and went with some 99 cent a quart oil I seen on the shelf that was 10W40 which worked just as well. Funny story. Those guys at the auto parts stores know everything apparently. I got out of there with the cheap oil but not after a long argument about what the W in for example 10 W 40 means. I know alot of people think it means Weight. According to the Society of Automotive Engineers it means Winter. Anyway. Dump away and get better fuel milege from Ultral Low Sulfer Diesel. Thanks for the tip guys

I have heard that also but I havent tried it. I heard that if someone accidentally puts Gasoline in their tank depending on the amount you should add ATF.

like how much oil do you put in per tank of fuel? i know where to get the good old "offroad" red fuel.

Atf is an old school mechanic trick and should be avoided with modern injection systems.

If you want to add oil look for an ashless two stroke oil. Thats what the dodge guys are doing anyways. Mileage, lubricity, and a smoother running motor. Just add a quart or two when filling up. And its okay by cummins too =P

Ph4tty said:
Atf is an old school mechanic trick and should be avoided with modern injection systems.

If you want to add oil look for an ashless two stroke oil. Thats what the dodge guys are doing anyways. Mileage, lubricity, and a smoother running motor. Just add a quart or two when filling up. And its okay by cummins too =P

Any ashless dispursment oil is fine from what I have been seeing. I have ran everything from sae 30 to 10w40. I wouldnt use mineral oil. but any AD oil or veg oil woud be ok I guess. I put one quart per 30 gal

99 7.3 said:
like how much oil do you put in per tank of fuel? i know where to get the good old "offroad" red fuel.

if you are using off road diesel you dont need to add oil. Thats going to be overdoing it. But ULSD I always add one quart per 30 gal

I add ashless 2-stroke, 1 oz per gal. ATF is not designed to burn add can actually leave deposits on the cylinder walls over time. I have talked a few guys around here in to doing it and we have all noticed a smoother, quieter engine.

As far as on the shelf diesel additives, most of the are full of lacker thinners that will remove the lubercation that you have built up. There is a guy on some of the other forums that has the MSDS sheets. After seeing what some of them are made up of, I wouldn't put them in my truck if they were free.

Just my 2cents,
Kenny

what about marvel mystery oil,
today I added about 9 oz. to my tank
what are some pros and cons

Hey guys, what is the best additive for cold weather to keep the fuel from jelling? I heard HEET(pure methanol) is good but Idk. what should i use and how much of it per 30 gallon tank? thanks

So thats the verdict on MMO. Sucks and costs too much. POWERSMOKE I guess you are using Bio since you are talking about fuel jelling. Couldnt tell ya, But I know one thing for sure I wouldnt add methanol to your rigs fuel. I dont know what it could potentially do. As for everything else, Please take my advice, this is one thing I know. 2-stroke=used and tested aint gonna mess nothing up and you get better lubricity values than additives. If your cheap like me 10W40. Works/Cheap. I have been running it for the last 10000 miles and I havent seen a running difference but it definatly gave me 2 MPG or better on normal driving.

There are a few different types of oil whether you know it or not. Ashless Dispursment, Mineral oil, Vegetable oil, and Synthetics. I am an aircraft mechanic and we use different oils for different situations and well to sum it up, it would take entirely too much time to explain but trust me, Just add some 2-stroke or SAE 30 to your rigs fuel going off the measurments above and happy trails.

Back