my 98.5 dodge that hasen't runn in over a year...I'm in Alaska

philip l withey

I have a 1998.5 dodge diesel and it just shut off and I cannot get i to restart.. something has my injection pump shut off. One time I had batt voltage on pin 5 of my vp44 pump plug which is the signal to shut of the vp 44. I cut that feed and cough start the thing, but nothing would work. no alternator voltage, no lock-up convertor. It will also run if you ground pin 7 and apply batt voltage to pin 6 or vice-versa, on the vp44 plug it will idle.
something has my vp44 shut of...Please don't start with fuel pump and the fuses that have been checked over a thousand times. No blown fuses and 17 lbs. of fuel pressure at the vp-44. A wiring diagram of the vp-44 plug would be very helpful. I have it at another shop and there blaming the problem on the computer, that have also been sent for in for all the latest updates and of course they say there is no computer problems. a break out box is probably what I need and a schematic of the vp44 plug.
I'm 76 and have retired from the carb shop that I owned for over 30 years. I got to know something. Every sensor that I could find has been replaced. New lift pump new vp44 injection pump, had the front of the engine apart checking the killer dowel pin. by the way the ecm and pcm were sent in as a pair. is there someone out there that could shed some light. On my problem???

fabulist phil

Have you cracked loose the injection lines while cranking to verify if fuel is leaving the vp44? ( You already verified 17 in, little weak but whatever, it should start with that...

Is the truck in a heated shop? You said Alaska. Lol.

76 year old guy forgot he posted here. I had a wiring schematic for him too. Oh well.

:hehe: Honestly, I've reached the age where 76 doesn't seem as old as it once was. :kick:

I do believe he has a issue in his wire harness someplace if I understand his post correctly. It's sounds like he was able to make it run by isolating the VP44 from the ECM, just like we do with the break-out box used to test pumps before replacing them. I do hope he makes it back on here so we can help him.

I'm an idiot. I bet NEVER know. Now you guys can hold out on paying me until we actually reach never.

Back