5r110 install

03BlackWidow

Getting ready to put my tranny back in and have a couple questions.

Whats the easiest way to turn the motor over to get the converter off and bolted back up.

What needs locite, and torqing?

Did mine last week and the only way is to use a pry bar on the flexplate teeth through the starter hole. It's a pain!!!!!! You also have a second entrance for the converter blots on the drive side of the adaptor plate (a 3" X 2" hole).

I use the balancer bolts and turn the crank clockwise. it works well.

x3 Take the 2 bottom bolts out of the fan shroud and you can do it from under the truck. It's an odd length socket to get the convertor bolts out. It's tight between the oil pan and the bolts.

Didn't try the crank bolts, using the hole on the adaptor plate makes removing the converter bolts a lot easier(just above the oilpan rail on the driver side). It's not all that bad, took us 7 hours start to finish.

Sun Coast just drills a 2" (I believe) hole in the bottom of the bell housing. Then they use a pry bar on the flywheel bolts. When they are done, they just use a 2" (again I believe that's the size) plug to plug the hole.

I drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of my bell housing. I can R&R a tranny in about 2 1/2 hours. I am now rebuilding the tranny but one of the thrust washers is discontinued so you have to buy the updated plantery. I called John wood and he sent me the washers but UPS broke them. The box looked like it was in a war. He is now sending two more.

Well I picked up my tranny last night and tonight began to unbolt the converter since it was still on the flexplate tonight.

Got 5 converter nuts offs with zero problems then got to the last one and its rounded off:bang Any helpful ideas since its such a tight space to work in? Also does everyone else's converter use studs/nuts too?

btw I did unbolt the 2 bolts on the fan shroud and using the balancer bolts worked really well, i didnt think it was gonna push far enough forward for the ratchet but it did. Thanks for the help guys. After this stubborn converter nut itll be running in a couple hours.

What a pain in the ass, i tried some special tools and finally a plain ole pair of vise grips got it.

My last problem now is the aux filter from suncoast. It came with zero instructions and the ones I had them fax didnt come out very well. The pictures are all just black squares.

Back