S400sxe

Very nice! Is the gate a pain to setup? What does the truck weigh?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No wasn't hard at all. I will try to get a picture of how I did mine later today for you. It's nothing fancy. I just used an air compressor regulator and quick connect air line fittings that I got at our local big rig shop. The gate just dumps to atmosphere down by oil pan. It weights 6440 with me in it and 1/4 tank of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blew out one S472sxe in about 6-7k miles and the second one in about 1700 miles. First one wasn't covered by warranty because the oil feed line was too big. Now the 2nd one had a smaller feed line. And hopefully it gets warrantied. Im definitely going with a gtx turbo next.

Blew out one S472sxe in about 6-7k miles and the second one in about 1700 miles. First one wasn't covered by warranty because the oil feed line was too big. Now the 2nd one had a smaller feed line. And hopefully it gets warrantied. Im definitely going with a gtx turbo next.

Don't bank on getting it warrantied. They may, but it is a rare thing. In all reality the diesel trucks are running turbochargers way harder than intended in most cases. Abuse will be their response more times than not. In a way it is hard to disagree with that given the 80 psi of drive pressure you mentioned.

Edit: that was another person who mentioned the 80 psi of drive who has gone through 2 as well.

I get what your saying. But on my last freeway run I had someone film my gauges with my new tunes max boost is 59psi and drive pressure was from 65-70psi. That 80 psi was t a 100% sure reading I just concentrate on driving mostly. I just read what I can see from the corner of my eye.

I get what your saying. But on my last freeway run I had someone film my gauges with my new tunes max boost is 59psi and drive pressure was from 65-70psi. That 80 psi was t a 100% sure reading I just concentrate on driving mostly. I just read what I can see from the corner of my eye.

Your still out of the map, depending on elevation will tell you how far out.

Pressure ratio is something to pay attention to, also shaft speed.

I have a 1.1 housing. Should I put a wastegate on it? I have one just hvent out it on. Or should I go with a bigger housing? But regardless I'll be getting a Garrett gtx4202r next. What housing would you recommend per say?

Your still out of the map, depending on elevation will tell you how far out.

Pressure ratio is something to pay attention to, also shaft speed.

This ^^

50+ psi is not abnormal by any means but most turbos on the market were never designed to withstand boost numbers this high. Again, they tend to live longer than your previous two have but when one does fail it isn't exactly surprising.

What kind of a failure are you seeing?

Blowing oil, bearing failures, catastrophic failure?

First one the seal completely blew out. Leaking oil in both charge and down pipes. Bearings gone. The wheel was super chewed up. 2nd turbo. Oil leaking out downpipe. And minor wheel scrubbing against compressor housing. Borg Warner "tests" these for up to 70psi. I wonder what's the secret to the guys that make 100+psi.

My home elevation is 1100' the people processing the warranty asked me the elevation too

Seals don't blow out in turbochargers. They have rings that keep pressure, dirt, and debris out of the bearing housing. They subsequently tend to help control oil but their primary job is not that.

It sounds like the bearings are failing. That can be from a pile of things, though. Overspeed/overboost, oil contamination, oil supply issue, etc...

How have you been pressure checking the charge air system for leaks?

I understand what your saying.
Well nothing seams to be leaking. All the boots and clamps are on tight. No rips. Elbow and plenum bolts are tight. Doesn't lag too much for being a good size turbo.

You rebuild/sell turbos right? What would the cost be to rebuild one? Is it possible to go with cast wheels?

Should I put the wastegate? And/or go bigger ar housing?

Last edited:
With my limited knowledge on your combo I'd go bigger housing as that is the cheapest fix. 1.15 or 1.30 with the latter as my choice.

I understand what your saying.
Well nothing seams to be leaking. All the boots and clamps are on tight. No rips. Elbow and plenum bolts are tight. Doesn't lag too much for being a good size turbo.

You rebuild/sell turbos right? What would the cost be to rebuild one? Is it possible to go with cast wheels?

Should I put the wastegate? And/or go bigger ar housing?

Visually checking is not good enough my man. Gotta get some compressed air to it. More often than not a charge air leak will hide its ugly face. Doesn't mean that is your issue, but if you do not check it then you cannot rule that out. A charge air leak at those pressures would certainly cause an overspeed.

We do rebuild turbocahrgers. PM me with the specifics of what you are after and I can get you a quote.

Back