Ford 6.7 reliability???

Disclaimer: I respect your opinion entirely.

Same here man, just giving my thoughts on it.

Thinking about the reliability of a 12v and talking about a late model 6.7 cummins is hardly logical. Almost zero difference in Underhood work space between Ford and Ram current year models.

Definitely a difference in reliability between the two, which is why I favor the 12v so heavily. I've never been under the hood of a 11-16 or 17+ much but I think my Ram is much easier, but maybe I just haven't gotten deep enough into either to know.

Don't forget, the 6.7 fords are reverse flow heads so the ease of access in the valley is night and day between the older international motors.

There are plenty of fleets moving away from Cummins due to engine failures but not much of that gets talked about on here due to everyone thinking Cummins are the best.

One big thing that isn't looked at much is parts cost. Replacement parts for the Ford engines are shockingly cheap, since they have been making them in house.

I'm unfamiliar with details on the Ford motors or replacement part costs, and that's good information to consider. I don't think the Cummins is the end all, but it has certainly done well for me and many others. Of course the Scorpion is pretty good as well. The CP3 vs CP4 is what gave me some pause, and it's not unwarranted.

Glad folks on CompD can have good informative exchanges, one of many reasons I like this place. All these platforms have certain issues, best we can do is pick the assumed issues we might experience and deal with it if/when it happens.

Last edited:
This thing goes into a high idle when it’s not even that cold out so I got to reading and I read some where that if the dpf is deleted that the sensors still need to be plugged up or it will cause a high idle. Is this true? When they stole the exhaust they cut the wires, so it’s going to be a real pain to try and fix.

This thing goes into a high idle when it’s not even that cold out so I got to reading and I read some where that if the dpf is deleted that the sensors still need to be plugged up or it will cause a high idle. Is this true? When they stole the exhaust they cut the wires, so it’s going to be a real pain to try and fix.

Whats the temp. It will only idle up if it is below 32*. Not necessarily true what you said about the sensors. Did you get my pm?

if all the sensor wires have been cut, tune the truck properly and then remove the entire harness. If you locate the pcm on the passender side firewall under the wiper cowl, the plug closest to the engine is strictly the emission harness. Corrosion and shorting wreaks havoc on the canbus and its better if its not there. Alternatively, you would have to split and heat shrink any cut pigtails to eliminate the possibility.

The more I drive it I’ve been seeing some pretty noticeable blue smoke, again I’m not familiar with these engines but most likely place to start would be the turbo maybe? I’ve seen they had kits to upgrade to a newer style turbo so I figure it must be a problem area.

I did a turbo in my 13 Dually at 150k.

And then cracked a piston in my 18 at 53k. I believe this was a fluke. and it was traded and replaced with a 2020 that is awesome.

We also have/had two different 17s and an 11 that were problem free.

100%. Pulling my 5th wheel toy hauler to Daytona. Starting knocking in TN. She made it but wasn’t happy sounding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a turbo in my 13 Dually at 150k.

And then cracked a piston in my 18 at 53k. I believe this was a fluke. and it was traded and replaced with a 2020 that is awesome.

We also have/had two different 17s and an 11 that were problem free.

2018 Ford? I didn't those come with "better" Forged steel pistons? Had a buddy claiming those were the ones to get.

Don’t know what pistons were in that one besides a broken one.

Our family/company buys all brands and the overall vehicle quality, that engine didn’t scare us off. Now if we do another it may.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back