Front end limited slip/35 spline

Puddles

I am wanting to put a Eaton trutrac in the front end of my truck but as I have come to find out they don’t make a 30 spline unit. If I were to delete the CAD and go to 35 spline shafts will I have a miserable time in 4x4 on the street? Truck is a daily driver so it will need 4x4 during the winter. Thanks-Matt

With lunchbox lockers in jeeps the front doesn’t act funny until it’s in 4wd. The locker free wheels with no power to it. Not sure about a torsion style tho.

From what I've read of people with 3rd gens trucks that didn't have lockout hubs were fine with the truetracs. The only time the steering got tight was on a 4wd pull. They are supposed to act as an open diff until a tire starts loosing traction then they torque bias and act like a limited slip.

I was trying to avoid the front driveline spinning all the time initially but it seemed like the only way to get that would be the e/ air locker which I was trying to avoid. I have a trutrac in the rear and it only locks when you want it to so I had hopes it might be driveable in 4x4. Spoke to somebody with one in a third gen that has a lot of hooks on one in the front but no real street 4x4 use. Does anybody know if front and rear Dana 60 differentials are interchangeable?

A front carrier that is not high pinion (reverse cut) and has the same spline count is in fact the same front or rear. There are tons of variables tho, course spine, fine spline, 31, 35, reverse cut. There is a Dana 61 also that is different.

Was looking again through the Eaton catalog and it looks like they sell a 30 spline “rear” 60 carrier. Fits 60 60HD 60m 1974-2002 but it’s a pricey little bastard at nearly a thousand bucks... can’t seem to find a contact info on there website either

Whew. Man for a grand id have a selectable locker. OX, arb, Yukon zip, etc.

That Eaton you speak of might be an electric unit though I suppose.

That price was for the trutrac anywhere from 950-1150 which puts me in selectable locker territory. Meanwhile the 35 spline front trutrac can be had for less than 800 and with stronger axles.. this whole daily driving a truck that I’d like to stay together while pulling sure has its obstacles lol

Haha I understand the struggle. Never pulled but I’ve had race cars I daily drove as well as rock crawlers. It’s a balancing act for sure.

Back