Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 07:48 PM   #21
Scattered

Name: Scattered
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Pretty sure I was talking with you Friday night on Bookface about your truck Maded

It’s not too hard to make your own brackets. I had way less then $400 in my traction bars and that included buying the tubing. I just welded two tabs to the bottom of the u-bolt plate and then welded a bracket onto the frame up front.

If you want I can send you pictures of mine tomorrow after work?

Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #22
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Hands down, the best bang for your buck. Do what I did and build these. Fully adjustable.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #23
Maded24v

Name: Maded24v
Title: Maded24v
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
Pretty sure I was talking with you Friday night on Bookface about your truck Maded

It’s not too hard to make your own brackets. I had way less then $400 in my traction bars and that included buying the tubing. I just welded two tabs to the bottom of the u-bolt plate and then welded a bracket onto the frame up front.

If you want I can send you pictures of mine tomorrow after work?
Yeah I'd appreciate some pics, I was thinking the same doing tabs on u bolt mount but also wondered if I dare out all of the stress on the main point of my axle support. But apparently it isn't an issue?

Old 01-28-2019, 12:39 PM   #24
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
@CorneliusRox I'm looking for something a little cleaner looking on my right, looks simple thought. I don't need much for adjustment, once it's there it's at most going to get loosened up a couple threads maybe for street use and tightened back up for pullin

Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #25
fwl_hunter

Name: fwl_hunter
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maded24v View Post
When you say bump stop I assume you mean limiting the leaf spring travel? That's one of the things we aren't allowed to do, even if it allows 2" travel, it's illegal, BUT we can run airbags, that's my plan as of now
Maded24v what part of Michigan are you from? I've run WS competitively the past 3 years in MI, as well as IN and OH. So the rules you've expressed are nothing that I've come across and the only place I haven't pulled is up in the thumb, I'd be interested in where the rules originated and maybe offer assistance where I can.

2013 6.7lt F250 Lariat CCSB Daily/tow rig fully deleted

Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #26
fwl_hunter

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPUMPFUMMINS View Post
I would check your inlet regulations on “workstock”. A lotta guys run 3 inch .250 wall DOM pipe, but still bend them eventually. My buddies 3.0 truck has .250 wall tube.
Agreed on the inlet rules for WS, 366 charger maybe pushing that envelope.
3" seems a bit excessive, I believe my bars are 2.5" with 3-point end links, bought used and daily drove the truck for a year with them on then dedicated to hooking sleds for 3 seasons @ 800 HP. Bars are holding up hardened pins are seeing a little bit of bend in the centers.
If its the VP truck in the OP's pic I wouldn't go crazy with the check book building a set of bars.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #27
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwl_hunter View Post
Maded24v what part of Michigan are you from? I've run WS competitively the past 3 years in MI, as well as IN and OH. So the rules you've expressed are nothing that I've come across and the only place I haven't pulled is up in the thumb, I'd be interested in where the rules originated and maybe offer assistance where I can.

West Michigan Pullers
8,200 lb Street Diesel Truck Rules
All decisions made by a WMP official are final.
STREET DIESEL
The Street Diesel class is designed for full -bodied pulling trucks with a maximum weight of 8,200 lbs. The
truck also needs to be licensed and insured. Trucks may enter into only one class per event. Pulling order
will be determined randomly by tractor pulling software.
DRIVERS: Must be 16 years of age. All drivers must have a valid driver’s license. Drivers shall not be
under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and must drive their trucks in a safe manner at all times when at
the pull.
BALLAST: Hanging weights are prohibited. Ballast may be added in the bed of the truck and must be
secured.

DRIVELINE: An OEM transmission and transfer case is mandatory. It must have been optioned in a one-
ton or smaller pickup.

DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM: The OEM restraint system is mandatory and must be worn.

ENGINE: The engine is limited to a stock appearing, OEM make-specific compression ignition engine.

EXHAUST: All vehicles must be equipped to direct exhaust upward or downward.

FUEL INJECTION PUMP: The fuel injection pump is limited to a stock appearing, OEM engine model-
specific pump only. Twin CP3’s and Hpop’s are prohibited.

HITCH: The hitch must be a “REESE” style hitch. Reinforcements are permitted, but hitch mount MUST
remain in stock factory location. Trick hitches are prohibited. The hitch height from the ground may not
exceed 26" for 4x4 and 30" for 2x4. Must have a hook point at least 44 inches from the center of the rear
axle and be rearward of the factory location of the tailgate. The hooking point must have a minimum 3.00
inch by 3.75 inch inside diameter opening for the sled hook.
NITROUS OXIDE: Nitrous oxide is prohibited. No other oxygen extenders are allowed.

PROPANE: Propane is prohibited.

REAR SUSPENSION: Traction bars and devices are allowed. Bump stops are prohibited. Suspension
must maintain full factory shock travel.

TIRES: Tires must be DOT street tires. Cut tires are prohibited. A maximum tire diameter of 35 inch.

TRANSMISSIONS: Transmissions (manual and automatics) must have a transmission blanket meeting
SFI 4.1 if running more than 4500 rpm.

TURBOCHARGER: The turbocharger is limited to a stock, OEM make-specific charger only.
Turbochargers from different years in the same make may be interchanged.

WATER INJECTION: Water injection is prohibited.

I'm from west Michigan, oceana/Muskegon county area. Ok these are the rules for last year, the rules will be updated and as to my knowledge nothing will change EXCEPT the turbo charger rule, which I had been updated about the week after they had their meeting and changed it, the new rule will be as I think I mentioned before, "any non common railed engine may run up to a 66mm turbo, any common rail equipped engine must run stock/oem style charger". No it's not updated yet but will be hopefully soon. It will bring alot of dosge guys back out to compete I'm guessing hopefully make it something other than all Duramax ��

Last edited by Maded24v; 02-01-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #28
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Agreed on the inlet rules for WS, 366 charger maybe pushing that envelope.
3" seems a bit excessive, I believe my bars are 2.5" with 3-point end links, bought used and daily drove the truck for a year with them on then dedicated to hooking sleds for 3 seasons @ 800 HP. Bars are holding up hardened pins are seeing a little bit of bend in the centers.
If its the VP truck in the OP's pic I wouldn't go crazy with the check book building a set of bars.
Refer to my post above, it's just a new rule they divided to make. So I will be legal, as far as the traction bars right now I'm planning on going with a 2.25" with 3/8" wall that a guy messaged me about. My thought is if the truck ever gets p-pumped I will still have enough with the bars to not need to change them

Old 02-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #29
ramtough01

Name: ramtough01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The bars i made for my truck were 2inch dom sch80 pipe and never had a problem them bending. I mounted the to the bottom of the axle. Made a plate the same pattern for the ubolts and got longer ubolts. Then mounted to the frame just ahead of the front door handle. The never bound or anything and i left them on and pulled gooseneck trailers

Ramtough | Teespring

Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #30
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtough01 View Post
The bars i made for my truck were 2inch dom sch80 pipe and never had a problem them bending. I mounted the to the bottom of the axle. Made a plate the same pattern for the ubolts and got longer ubolts. Then mounted to the frame just ahead of the front door handle. The never bound or anything and i left them on and pulled gooseneck trailers
Did you ever loosen or tighten them up depending on if u were pulling or street driving? Or just leave them alone for everything?

Old 02-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #31
ramtough01

Name: ramtough01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I just left them alone. Make sure weld the axle housing to the tubes.

Ramtough | Teespring

Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #32
Duramaxfan03

Name: Duramaxfan03
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I know the bars that i made are overkill but i went with 2" DOM tube with .5" wall and about 60" long with heims on both ends.

Does anyone know why certain people favor longer bars (80" or so) compared to a 60" bar? Any pros or cons to them? Also, do people prefer a single bar or do more of a ladder bar style?
S&B CAI, MBRP intercooler tubes, PPE manifolds and up-pipes, profab turbo horn, MBRP downpipe, 5" straight exhaust, 10mm cp3, Fass 150 lift pump, 60% over injectors, studs, Custom traction bars, G2 tie rods, kryptonite center link, built trans & T-case

Old 02-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #33
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
I guess I planned to go longer because I'm an extended cab long bed, everyone I talk to says to match the angle of the driveshaft.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #34
fwl_hunter

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
West Michigan Pullers
8,200 lb Street Diesel Truck Rules
All decisions made by a WMP official are final.
STREET DIESEL
The Street Diesel class is designed for full -bodied pulling trucks with a maximum weight of 8,200 lbs. The
truck also needs to be licensed and insured. Trucks may enter into only one class per event. Pulling order
will be determined randomly by tractor pulling software.
DRIVERS: Must be 16 years of age. All drivers must have a valid driver’s license. Drivers shall not be
under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and must drive their trucks in a safe manner at all times when at
the pull.
BALLAST: Hanging weights are prohibited. Ballast may be added in the bed of the truck and must be
secured.

DRIVELINE: An OEM transmission and transfer case is mandatory. It must have been optioned in a one-
ton or smaller pickup.

DRIVER RESTRAINT SYSTEM: The OEM restraint system is mandatory and must be worn.

ENGINE: The engine is limited to a stock appearing, OEM make-specific compression ignition engine.

EXHAUST: All vehicles must be equipped to direct exhaust upward or downward.

FUEL INJECTION PUMP: The fuel injection pump is limited to a stock appearing, OEM engine model-
specific pump only. Twin CP3’s and Hpop’s are prohibited.

HITCH: The hitch must be a “REESE” style hitch. Reinforcements are permitted, but hitch mount MUST
remain in stock factory location. Trick hitches are prohibited. The hitch height from the ground may not
exceed 26" for 4x4 and 30" for 2x4. Must have a hook point at least 44 inches from the center of the rear
axle and be rearward of the factory location of the tailgate. The hooking point must have a minimum 3.00
inch by 3.75 inch inside diameter opening for the sled hook.
NITROUS OXIDE: Nitrous oxide is prohibited. No other oxygen extenders are allowed.

PROPANE: Propane is prohibited.

REAR SUSPENSION: Traction bars and devices are allowed. Bump stops are prohibited. Suspension
must maintain full factory shock travel.

TIRES: Tires must be DOT street tires. Cut tires are prohibited. A maximum tire diameter of 35 inch.

TRANSMISSIONS: Transmissions (manual and automatics) must have a transmission blanket meeting
SFI 4.1 if running more than 4500 rpm.

TURBOCHARGER: The turbocharger is limited to a stock, OEM make-specific charger only.
Turbochargers from different years in the same make may be interchanged.

WATER INJECTION: Water injection is prohibited.

I'm from west Michigan, oceana/Muskegon county area. Ok these are the rules for last year, the rules will be updated and as to my knowledge nothing will change EXCEPT the turbo charger rule, which I had been updated about the week after they had their meeting and changed it, the new rule will be as I think I mentioned before, "any non common railed engine may run up to a 66mm turbo, any common rail equipped engine must run stock/oem style charger". No it's not updated yet but will be hopefully soon. It will bring alot of dosge guys back out to compete I'm guessing hopefully make it something other than all Duramax ��
the only time the Dmax trucks dominated that WMP class was when I didn't show up to play in that series, and that was with a non 2.5 WS charger. That class is 2.5 though, I guess I hadn't been made aware of the change to their rules; splitting turbos rules for certain trucks in a class (outside of the 6.4 trucks) is rather hokey if ya ask me, I'm going to look into this more.

End of the day VP trucks will be challenged to compete with common rails at that level, jump to WMP's top diesel class and mechanical trucks rule track hands down, which is where I'm moving to just to avoid the nitpicking BS from one pull to another

Old 02-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #35
fwl_hunter

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
the only time the Dmax trucks dominated that WMP class was when I didn't show up to play in that series, and that was with a non 2.5 WS charger. That class is 2.5 though, I guess I hadn't been made aware of the change to their rules; splitting turbos rules for certain trucks in a class (outside of the 6.4 trucks) is rather hokey if ya ask me, I'm going to look into this more.

End of the day VP trucks will be challenged to compete with common rails at that level, jump to WMP's top diesel class and mechanical trucks rule track hands down, which is where I'm moving to just to avoid the nitpicking BS from one pull to another
Sh*t I just realized you're talking about the street class not the PRO street, my bad, disregard parts of what I said, I ran the PRO street with WMP. However they wouldn't allow me to run in the street class with a modified HE351 charger, they must've really changed the rules if they are allowing trucks to run up to S366 now

Last edited by fwl_hunter; 02-04-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #36
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
I was going to say ..... No this is not the pro street, it's street trucks. No the Dodges hands down are very competitive in the pro street. Very hard for a vp truck to compete with new trucks with just a tune tho in the street class.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #37
fwl_hunter

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I was going to say ..... No this is not the pro street, it's street trucks. No the Dodges hands down are very competitive in the pro street. Very hard for a vp truck to compete with new trucks with just a tune tho in the street class.
Right, I confirmed that change in street class rules for non CR trucks with one of my friends who is in the WMP organization. As long as you don't plan to go far from that area and run strictly WMP events, running the 366 charger shouldn't be an issue, going elsewhere and running different rules will likely get you bumped up a class or 2

Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #38
Maded24v

Member`s Gallery
Right I understand that part of it. And if they have to bump me up then oh well, most of the ones I will pull at will be WMP

Closed Thread