Added storage onto frame of 5th wheel

smokjunky

Just the new guy
So back story I'm getting out of the air force when my med board is done. I'll be moving from mt to nc. Me and the wife are getting divorced and it will be me and my dogs living in my 32 ft 5th wheel. What ever I can't fit in the camper will be sold. I have a snowmobile that I really want to bring with me.
So my question is can I take the bumber off of the camper and weld or bolt like 4 or 5 extra ft on the back of it to hold my snowmobile? I seen a company kind of makes one with a 360 turning wheel underneath but it ranges from 2100 to 4 grand. I'd rather do it my self and cut the cost.
I hope someone can guild me or give me some good pointers on do and don't.
Thanks so much Rob

Jory did something similar to his camper, not sure where he posted the details about it though, might try a PM to him.

Welded some tubing back as far as I could. The longer, the better.

attachment.php

I let the end of it set on the factor bumper for more support.

attachment.php

Made a frame that slides into the dual receiver setup.

attachment.php

I built a basket to set on the frame that bolts onto it. It also doubles as a table that can be taken off and flipped over with adjustable legs. In your case, it would just be a flat deck.

attachment.php

I would guess there to be #300 in mine but it is dayum sure stout if my #200lb ass jumps up and down on it. I wouldn't carry a #1000 bike on it much, but I bet it would make one trip.

attachment.php

Just be careful to not rip the ass out of your trailer and/or cause a wreck. I would lean more towards renting a small flat bed trailer and just mounting a ball on the back of your trailer and letting the small tag trailer support the weight. Then all your trailer has to do is pull and stop it. Much easier on your camper's frame. And remember, any weight you add to the back, especially cantilevered off like this, takes weight off your tongue so don't over do it and lose your drive tire traction. $.02

Attachments

• IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5486.jpg
    IMG_5486.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5476.jpg
    IMG_5476.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5475.jpg
    IMG_5475.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_55081_zpsqir719it.jpg
    IMG_55081_zpsqir719it.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's exactly what I was looking for just a bit wider.it's does scare me with the added weight about stability but I'll only be going about 55 to 60. And it's for one trip bit about 3k miles lmfao.
I wish I could tow another trailer but I think that stops about south Dakota

Cool. Hope it helps. How much does the sled weigh? I have seen a few that have a swiveling tail wheel on a spring. It would support some of the weight but would need a pretty long travel so you could go over bumps and hills without pushing up past the stop and ripping it off the camper frame.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• View 1.jpg
    View 1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • View 2.jpg
    View 2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thinking out loud here. To get the width needed for a sled I think you need to raise the platform rather than just extend straight out. It's one of those things you don't want dragging, breaking, fixing on a trip of that distance.

If it is just for the one way trip, look into having it shipped out versus building something on your RV and risking damage/safety while towing. When we moved from CA to TN I had my motorcycle (2004 Honda Interceptor), jet skis and trailer, and another car shipped out with a transporter and it wasn't too expensive. I would think you could have the ski shipped for a reasonable price.

But the real question is, will you be able to use it in NC??? Might be better off selling it in MT in Winter than having it to ride on dirt in NC... Something to think about.

Back