Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris lang View Post
Taking 80% out made a lope tune*
You only want to take 20% out. To do that you multiply the figures by .80.
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
chris lang

Name: chris lang
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDSHIFT View Post
You only want to take 20% out. To do that you multiply the figures by .80.
Yea, I know haha. It sounded like a lot, but 150% over injectors is a lot too so i figured I'd give it a shot. I'm learning here.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #23
Ackerdiesel

Name: Ackerdiesel
Member`s Gallery
Post your flow sheets... but yes I had a dumb moment 20-30% depending on how the truck runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BD Diesel Performance
Diesel Performance Converters
Pro Street Diesel
Drivelines Plus
Done Right Diesel Performance
Firepunk

Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #24
paulb

Name: paulb
Member`s Gallery
There is always more than one way to do things. It sounds like you have changed quite a few things, and to at least some extent they are cancelling each other out.

IMO, to reduce a touchy pedal with large injectors, start with what HP tuners call the part throttle governor tables. This limits the initial amount of fuel that is delivered when the throttle is pressed. Next work with Boost Limit A table to keep the smoke down.

Be careful when modifying the duration (Main Injection Pulse width) table. If you notice on the stock duration table, that the minimum duration is 160us (other than 0). This is because the default value in the ecm for a minimum injection event is 160us. If you command less then that, the ecm will skip that event. This is probably the largest cause of rough idles with large injectors. It's also one of the reasons that some tuners go to single event tunes. With large injectors you will probably at the very least need to reduce pilot injection, so that the ecm can deliver at least 160us during the main event.

As far as a course of action... Go back to the stock pedal maps, and stock duration table. Adjust the two tables I mentioned, until you get the off idle, and acceleration the way you want.

Adjusting the duration table down to match the larger injectors, just means you end up with stock power with the larger injectors. If you wanted 10-20% less fuel, then you should put 10-20% smaller injectors in it.

Again... More than one way to skin a cat...

Paul

Old 07-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
The reason to have a minimum pulse is due to injector latency. If you could force it to run below 100us, the injector wouldn't even inject fuel, not enough time for the pintle to lift before the solenoid shuts off again.

I agree with using a stock pulse table to start with, but you do need to reference the injector flow sheets. This will give you an idea of how much to cut in the low mm3 / mpa areas. If you don't have this info, reference what mm3 a stock truck idles at, then log what pulse your truck idles at and apply that pulse to the stock idle areas and blend it out to the rest of the table.

Remember, a 150% injector only flows that much extra at full rail pressure, so you may only need to cut 20% or so like was said before. To keep a minimum duration in the table, simply subract 160us from the table (if this is really the minimum duration required), make your desired changes, then add the 160us back in when done.

Last edited by JWhite; 07-12-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #26
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackerdiesel View Post
Post your flow sheets... but yes I had a dumb moment 20-30% depending on how the truck runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here's my flow sheet. My first go-round I tried to compare what these injectors flow to stock and make a tune that ran close to stock...it didnt run lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180712_202713.jpg (341.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
There is always more than one way to do things. It sounds like you have changed quite a few things, and to at least some extent they are cancelling each other out.

IMO, to reduce a touchy pedal with large injectors, start with what HP tuners call the part throttle governor tables. This limits the initial amount of fuel that is delivered when the throttle is pressed. Next work with Boost Limit A table to keep the smoke down.

Be careful when modifying the duration (Main Injection Pulse width) table. If you notice on the stock duration table, that the minimum duration is 160us (other than 0). This is because the default value in the ecm for a minimum injection event is 160us. If you command less then that, the ecm will skip that event. This is probably the largest cause of rough idles with large injectors. It's also one of the reasons that some tuners go to single event tunes. With large injectors you will probably at the very least need to reduce pilot injection, so that the ecm can deliver at least 160us during the main event.

As far as a course of action... Go back to the stock pedal maps, and stock duration table. Adjust the two tables I mentioned, until you get the off idle, and acceleration the way you want.

Adjusting the duration table down to match the larger injectors, just means you end up with stock power with the larger injectors. If you wanted 10-20% less fuel, then you should put 10-20% smaller injectors in it.

Again... More than one way to skin a cat...

Paul
For the most part I've been taking the stock pw maps and taking fuel out from the low end by 10-20% at a time and adding some at the higher pressure side. When shes moving, she runs great, fantastic, outstanding...its just from the 0-10something% pedal its requesting so much fuel. I just set up the part throttle Gov and did a log...but I only did the transient map. At 10% it was still requesting 50mm3 while I had it set to 30mm3 at 30% just to see what would happen.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #28
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
So I set up the partial throttle governor tables to be 10mm3 at 10%, 30mm3 at 30% and progressed to 120mm3 at 60%. I did a log of just rolling through the gears as daily driving. Seat of the pants it was better, didnt have that 5-10% throttle surge and didnt smoke anywhere near as bad. But when I look at the log it was still at over 50mm3 ar 10% pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180713_184756.jpg (593.3 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #29
chris lang

Member`s Gallery
Well, I started over from a previous tune and messed with the pedal, part throttle govenors, and boost limit tables like yall told me to. I've got it pretty good, definitely a night and day difference from what it was.
I've got a few questions: what should my boost override quantity be? In my logs, what fuel rate should I be looking at? I assume that is also including the pilot injection?

Closed Thread