Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
BMW or other?? Thoughts

I've been thinking about next winters project. I ultimately wanted to get an LSM block and indy head and see how much weight I could drop along with the power addition the head may have added. However, as stated in my first post on the Ram50 build, I don't need to be the fastest and of course the obvious is cost. If the current engine build lives through this year, it is going in a pulling truck for my wife for 2015. Therefore, I need to be thinking about a replacement engine for the Ram50.

I spoke with Dan Schied, LSM and Indy today concerning their aluminum offerings. I did not get a price from LSM, however, Dan Schied quoted me a price of $17,250 for a water block. The Indy head was $7,500. With these prices and some rough calculations, for around $43,000, I would have, IMO, the ultimate 12v for drag racing. I guess if you put things in perspective, a monster normally aspirated v8 gasser would probably be priced about the same and most likely could not be street driven. I would love to have it but, I'm thinking I might settle for something a little less.

I've been looking at the 3.0l BMW diesel. I have searched and read for a while and can't seem to find any hard core hot rodding info on them. I have been thinking instead of selling the farm for the ultimate cummins, why not get a wrecked BMW and see what I could ring out of it. I have no hard numbers, but, I bet the BMW wont weigh 2/3 of what the cummins egine weighs.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this up and see what you all thought. Their may be other engines out there I have not considered.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
You want it to be mechanical or electronic? Hp goal? Old prechamber 24 valve MB engine is easy to get over 600 hp.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I would like to at least make 700 fairly reliable HP. Mechanical would be great. I was looking at the BMW because of the all aluminum construction.

Do you have any links to hot rodd'd MB's you mentioned??

Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
TheHashmaster

Name: TheHashmaster
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
which BMW motor family were you looking for (n47, m47, n57, m57...)?

try going to bmw specific forums and going into their diesel subforums (bimmerfest, bimmerboost both have em).

Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Shawdrainage

Name: Shawdrainage
Title: Shaw
Member`s Gallery
700 can be made on a 6.1 based HEMI very easily. Push the envelop on it to a 448 and be closer to 900-925. And a 727 trans will bolt up with very few mods.

That motor can be built for around $20k without issues. A little more money, all alum 6.4 based motor.

Just throwing that out there......

Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
TheHashmaster

Name: TheHashmaster
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
That's not a bad option, but if OP is looking for a lighter weight aluminum block vs. an iron block, the BMW motor is not a bad choice.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Member`s Gallery
700 at the wheels? Or flywheel? I'd stick with the engine you have, unless you want to switch to a 4bt...they're about 300lb lighter, but still heavy.

What about those little 3.0L Dmax motors like in that truck from Thailand? That thing broke into the 7s just recently.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Jetmugg

Name: Jetmugg
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I'm not up to speed on the BMW's, but the Mercedes 3 liter engines have plenty of power potential. On the ragged edge, 700HP may be feasible. That would be for an OM606 with plenty of pump work, custom exhaust, matched turbo, head work, etc.

There's a guy in Finland (Jeemu, I believe) who makes that kind of power-to-displacement with and OM605 5-cylinder.

If you want to read up on hot-rodding the MB diesels, superturbodiesel.com is probably the best place to start.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
emkay

Name: emkay
Title: SPEEDFREAK
Member`s Gallery
google Teemu Peltola

Sent via smoke signals :-)
2007.5 - 6.7 Cummins, G56, RCLB 2WD (Smarty Custom, all deletes, WCC intake, II 85% CP3, custom stix, ARP425, Hamilton Springs, Steed Speed, GTX4508R, Source 2nd Gen. Kit, AirDog II 165, Valair Triple, Caltracs, lowered, 24x10 KMC Monster)

Old 01-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
700 at the wheels? Or flywheel?
...at the wheels of course.

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping his would generate some interest. We ran out of internet and I have to beg and borrow until the 8th.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Hello all, I had sorta forgot about this post.

I have decided to go ahead with the aluminum cummins build. I purchased an aluminum head from Fatt Technologies and I'm waiting for a possible aluminum block from them as well. If I don't hear anything by August, I'm going ahead with the LSM water block.

Thanks to all for the replies and input.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Damn the luck

Well.... .....damn the luck. I've had to sue Fatt Tech, Indy acts like they don't want to sell me a head, and the aluminum block is only available from Schied at a starting price of 18k. I spoke with Mr. Hamilton a couple days ago and he is no longer pursuing the aluminum head.

I guess I'm back on this BMW kick and have joined Bimmerfest to gain more info and knowledge. My wife and I test drove an '11 335d. It is just flat amazing the power these things make in stock form.

My little brain was running off in dreamland and this is what I've dreamed up so far.

Somehow, convert the BMW engine to run with '03+Cummins engine controls. Have the BMW head machined to accept the cummins injectors, stack a CP? on it, custom exhaust header with compounds, and someone not afraid of tuning this little fella.

What do ya think so far????

Old 10-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
Why not just do a Bosch stand alone controller on it?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #14
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Why not just do a Bosch stand alone controller on it?
Exactly. This is where I need the most help. I can turn wrenches, weld, cut timber, etc... I'm just not up to snuff in the electronic world.

So the Bosch stand alone would work with the BMW sensors?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #15
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post

So the Bosch stand alone would work with the BMW sensors?
Go Bosch if you’re willing to go for the expensive route. .

Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I finally made up my mind. Check out my Ram50 build thread in the drag section for more info. I have two of the BMW engines on the way!!!!

Closed Thread