03 CR Engine problem after rebuild ???

FlyingHighRacin

Ok so I just had my motor rebuilt by one shop and I have a buddy that has a shop locally installing the motor back into the truck. My buddy has the motor and everything back into the truck and hooked up. He took it out down the road to just run it a bit and he had his scanner hooked up and it threw a cam sensor code. He also said that the tach will be at say 2000 rpm and then it will just drop for second and then pick back up. He already tried swapping the cam sensors and still has the problem. He said it does it worse sometimes in idle. He said while he was running it parked to break in the cam it did it a couple times. He said the truck starts up right away and will run but as soon as it throws the cam sensor code the rpms jump like this. He said he has double checked all wiring and everything is good there also. He was wondering if the cam gear may have possibly not been press on all the way to my new cam. Could this be the problem? Im supposed to be headed down to TS with the truck and time is runnin out so any help would be great ASAP!

Here is how the build goes so you guys know what was done.

.020 Cummins pistons
crank ground and poilshed
12V polished and shot peened rods with ARP bolts
Hamilton 188/220
Rotating assembly balanced to 5000rpm
Head heavily ported with ti retainers, Hamilton HD springs and extreme duty push rods and ARP studs
BW S366 T4 on a second gen. Steed Speed
TC Diesel 60% CP3 with wild rail and 30000CPRV
AD150
150hp injectors
Snow stage 3 water/meth
Smarty SSR 1.7 (not currently loaded on the truck)
MPM built Tranny

Check the thrust plate on the cam. We have had a few that had to much wear and the cam was walking foward and causing the same problem your having.

Pull the front cover. The nose of the cam should be sticking out .090 or so from the gear. If the nose of the cam is pressed flush with the cam, then it is not on all the way and your problem.

Only way to fix the issue is to pull the cam and press the gear the rest of the way on. Don't try to tap it on while it is still in the block.

Last edited:
Back