.020 over on a 5.9 for 1000hp+

dnrcustoms

Looking for some heindsight on wether or not going .020 over is asking for problems in a 1000-1200hp 5.9 build? The block i was hoping would be ok for standard bore needs .020 to be perfect. I would not question it being a 700hp setup. But i dont have much experiance in the 1000hp range like many of you on here. Thanks

They are punching them out to 4.125 and filling them and they are surviving north of 1200

I dont want to fill tho, in theory .010 per side shouldnt make much difference. Just wondering what guys making big power are using.

I know one camp that's been in the 1500's on a chassis dyno at .040's with horseshoe in hand. Wet block. I made it to 14xx on my dyno on stock bore on a loaded pull and popped a cylinder wall, each time it's been the cylinder closest to cold pipe where it meets the plenum.

Last edited:
Mine engine is north of 1200 on a .020 over bore turning 6k off the line in a puller and I've had no problems

Well pretty sure im rolling the dice on the .020 over. I have the block ready to go to Mike, i figure if a block splits oh well. Loose some maching cost but it wont be a catastophic failure like my previous motors.

Whats everyones thoughts on coated pistons? Thinking of using OE cummins 03/04 pistons and having them coated. Seams like their is a lot of controversy on whether or not coating the pistons is worth it.

bringing it back from "half life." (sorry) How bout an hx60, 13 mil pump, .040 over 2.6 motor? What are the chances of this making it a season or two?

edit: wet 5.9 block, ross forged pistons. 5,500 off the line

Last edited:
It's not uncommon at all for 2.6 trucks to spin 6K on the line.

I'm not a puller, nor do I play one on tv but 6k seems awfully damn tight for a Cummins. Watching some of the in cab video's from my super stock pulling buddies where the tach is clearly visible, those trucks don't even spin 6k on the line.
I remember when people used to call bullsh!t on the "my cumminGs will turn 5000rpm easy" stories, lol. Carry on :Cheer:

I'm in for the info. I'm looking to go 20 over and push 1k. Also would like more info on the coated piston theory

I'm not a puller, nor do I play one on tv but 6k seems awfully damn tight for a Cummins. Watching some of the in cab video's from my super stock pulling buddies where the tach is clearly visible, those trucks don't even spin 6k on the line.
I remember when people used to call bullsh!t on the "my cumminGs will turn 5000rpm easy" stories, lol. Carry on :Cheer:

The mod trucks are driven differently than 2.6. They have so much power that they have to "feather" it out of the hole.

Here's an in cab vid from one of my runs.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztfmnzVnuFk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztfmnzVnuFk[/ame]

Back