1000-1200ish Engine Build Questions

I wanted to get some opinions from people that have done with more than me considering this is my first 1000+ build. I was planning on running stock bottom end and I started tearing my truck down for everything to go on top of it. When I pulled the head one piston is slightly melted which was totally unexpected. Engine is a 2006 5.9L.

Fast forward, engine is out and fixing to be tore down. I already bought a used set of R&R billet rods. I was thinking the 03-04 QSB Cummins pistons. Thoughts? something else I could use? Or maybe Mahle? If I got 03-04 do they need delipped? Mahle vs Cummins head gaskets? Im planning on using Clevite H bearings in it, going to run a 188/220 cam.

Opinions? things I've missed or should change? Any clearances I should take note of not being on the factory side of the specifications? Any input is appreciated.

Use an OEM Cummins headgasket. For no other reason than they have never failed me. For 1000-1200, I'd recommend a good mains girdle. Install screw-in freeze plugs under the valve cover in the head. Pistons need to match the injector, just keep that in mind if you switch styles.

are you spraying it? On the last fuel only 1200hp engine I did I went with a no limit 208/228. It works well with the head it has for being on the street with a single s483. The pistons I use and recommend are the 05-07 style bowls, I put a light taper on the bowl and on the putter lip. Piston to wall on a Cr not being sprayed I found 7thou works. Bearings I switched to king bearings because of some qc issues with the clevites.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Matt

Piston Wall clearance I like to open up more than oem.
How much more?
Make sure you have upgraded exhaust valve seats installed
head is getting those and ported

are you spraying it? On the last fuel only 1200hp engine I did I went with a no limit 208/228. It works well with the head it has for being on the street with a single s483. The pistons I use and recommend are the 05-07 style bowls, I put a light taper on the bowl and on the putter lip. Piston to wall on a Cr not being sprayed I found 7thou works. Bearings I switched to king bearings because of some qc issues with the clevites.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Matt
what problems were you seeing with the clevites? I don’t plan on spraying but I might have to.
What’s everyone like for ring gaps? Girdle necessary or will it be fine with the drop in main studs and factory stiffener?

I like 020/040/020 on rings and Clevite H bearings. I would recommend at least a Gorilla girdle style that ties into the main caps >1k hp.

Another thing is to watch how fast you spool up your turbos. The quicker they light, the sooner it will break. Stock bottom end with cam and mild porting will hold up if you don't light it too fast. Of course if you have a 3rd gen, failure is built into the tuning. It will light too fast and you'll have to built it stronger.

Back