Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #141
i-r-truckdriver

Name: i-r-truckdriver
Title: Think less. Stupid more
Member`s Gallery
Being that I need this thing together for labor day weekend I really need to get something figured out fast. Hopefully this week I will be picking up a complete acert setup. Everything from manifold, both turbos, mounts, and factory piping. What is a fair price for working take-off? I am hoping I can find a way to use the lp turbo as a single on this 855. Like I said I am turbo stupid but if I can spool it, should be good for around 1000hp?

Old 08-12-2018, 11:16 PM   #142
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
The LP turbo is a GT55, you would just need an exhaust housing for it, and then you would need to adapt it to the 855 manifold.

Last edited by SmokinCAT; 08-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:49 AM   #143
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
I plan on giving $500 for the complete acert setup. Says everything is in good working condition. Seem like a fair price? Any suggestions on turbine housing size? Is it possible to just adapt the housing that is currently on the turbo?

Old 08-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #144
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Stock housing is a v-band style entry, 1.24 would be about right I believe.

I havent ran any standard rotation chargers on the manifold yet to know how they act

Old 08-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #145
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Trying to teach myself turbos. From what I can find the lp turbo is a gt5518. Which uses the gt4718 compressor and gt55 turbine. Looking at the compressor map shows 140lbs/min at 3:1pr. By using some formula I found this should be enough air to support around 1k hp on the 855 - sound right? Also I am assuming that it would be better for me to run the gt55 as a single instead of mounting both of the acert turbos because the smaller turbo would choke performance. Obviously cat thought the 55 was too big for a single on 15.2l This has me concerned with the 14l on spool up and mostly being able to hold on at the end of the track. Am I wasting my money on this gt55? any better recommendations?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #146
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Ask Faulkner about what they'll support. I'd think running as compounds would be better if you can do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #147
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Just another picture of the aftermath

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #148
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-r-truckdriver View Post
Trying to teach myself turbos. From what I can find the lp turbo is a gt5518. Which uses the gt4718 compressor and gt55 turbine. Looking at the compressor map shows 140lbs/min at 3:1pr. By using some formula I found this should be enough air to support around 1k hp on the 855 - sound right? Also I am assuming that it would be better for me to run the gt55 as a single instead of mounting both of the acert turbos because the smaller turbo would choke performance. Obviously cat thought the 55 was too big for a single on 15.2l This has me concerned with the 14l on spool up and mostly being able to hold on at the end of the track. Am I wasting my money on this gt55? any better recommendations?
The 6 blade compressor on the acert turbo will be much different than the GTX wheel that you like looked at for the 88/118mm compressor.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #149
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Got to looking at the exhaust manifolds I have here. I think I should be able to just do some grinding to make the t6 fit to these manifolds? Or would it be better to make an adapter plate out of some thick plate steel?

Bigger question is notice how the manifold on top has an extra divider in it for #3 and 4. Would this offer any benefit over the manifold that is currently on the engine?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #150
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
The 6 blade compressor on the acert turbo will be much different than the GTX wheel that you like looked at for the 88/118mm compressor.
So you are saying its not going to perform as well as I am hoping? I haven't bought the acert setup yet. Planning on going to get it thurs. Is there a better option or for the $500 I should give it a whirl?

Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #151
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
The top manifold is an early pulse design, it will have larger ports where it bolts to the head.

The bottom one is the most up to date version and would be a small port, it will likely be the match for your heads.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #152
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So you are saying its not going to perform as well as I am hoping? I haven't bought the acert setup yet. Planning on going to get it thurs. Is there a better option or for the $500 I should give it a whirl?
It will perform, and will be better than the HT4 if you can make it work.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #153
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The top manifold is an early pulse design, it will have larger ports where it bolts to the head.

The bottom one is the most up to date version and would be a small port, it will likely be the match for your heads.
larger ports on older design loose to much velocity causing more lag? Would there be an advantage to the older design if the heads were heavily ported?

Old 08-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #154
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
larger ports on older design loose to much velocity causing more lag? Would there be an advantage to the older design if the heads were heavily ported?
No.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:56 PM   #155
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It will support +1200 hp but the rest of the engine dont make it.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #156
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
My head hurts from reading about turbo's. I am going to give up trying to learn at the moment and just go ahead and get that acert set around. Now I just need to source the 1.24 turbine housing I am coming up with 761208-0025. Hopefully this is the answer for my turbo needs. At least it seems like the gt55 has plentiful options if this doesn't work out.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #157
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It will perform, and will be better than the HT4 if you can make it work.
Seen a couple months ago you were working with Snedge on trying to find a usable t6 manifold. Thread is closed so I can't ask there. Anything ever come to light? Any reason why you cant just egg the holes out a bit to make t6 work?

I need help with a garrett part # 711469-0034 I have been trying to search it and come up with absolutely nothing. I got it off of a picture of an exhaust turbine. Guy selling it states that it is t6 1.24 and was removed from a gtx55 or gen 1 precision pro mod. Just wondering if this is the housing I need?

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #158
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Nope, there is nothing available.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #159
i-r-truckdriver

Member`s Gallery

I contacted the guy about that turbine housing. I cant find anything that is remotely close to that part number. On garrett's website the only housing they have listed for t6 1.24 is the 761208-0025 unless I am missing something that seems like my only option.

Just by looking at the pictures is there something else I am going to need to adapt from the turbo to the 5" exhaust pipe? Something looks like its missing.

Last edited by i-r-truckdriver; 08-14-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: picture

Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 PM   #160
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Seen a couple months ago you were working with Snedge on trying to find a usable t6 manifold. Thread is closed so I can't ask there. Anything ever come to light? Any reason why you cant just egg the holes out a bit to make t6 work?

I need help with a garrett part # 711469-0034 I have been trying to search it and come up with absolutely nothing. I got it off of a picture of an exhaust turbine. Guy selling it states that it is t6 1.24 and was removed from a gtx55 or gen 1 precision pro mod. Just wondering if this is the housing I need?
Lots of 855 T6 manifolds in Europe. But you can egg the holes, I used HT4 with T6 manifold.

Closed Thread