VE non IC cummins in 85 Chevy K20 question

weazel

5th gear killer
Just about done with a friends cummins to chevy conversion. Surprisingly easy, engine seemed like it was made to go in one of these trucks!

Only issue I’ve ran across is how to adapt the automatic shifter from the Chevy to work with the Chrysler 727 behind the cummins? We were going to swap it to a manual truck, but the owner decided to keep the automatic. What has been done to get the chevys shifter to work with the Chrysler’s shifter linkage on the transmission?

did that on my truck when I first built it. don't think I have any pics. built a bracket off the trans for the factory chevy linkage and used some small heims I think. I'll try to look for a pic.

Ive searched and can't find a pic of what I used to run. it was a bracket that bolted into the hole near the bellhousing on the driver side, and used the factory chevy shift linkage, with a pair of heims back to the trans shift bracket.

Ive searched and can't find a pic of what I used to run. it was a bracket that bolted into the hole near the bellhousing on the driver side, and used the factory chevy shift linkage, with a pair of heims back to the trans shift bracket.

Ok. The trans does still have that hole still bolted to it. I’ve got the Chrysler shift linkage and the Chevy linkage, I’m thinking of using the Chrysler linkage, cutting the part where it used to hook to the shifter, moving to the opposite side, welding it back and seeing if it’ll hook to the Chevy linkage and operating the trans correctly.
If this doesn’t work, I’m going to go grab some heim joint and see if I can make something work. Thanks for looking for the pics tho K20!

Back