New engine build Scania DC1601 for our semi truckpuller.

Funny that you ask.

The Manne van janne 2 is one of the easy ones to drive, if you know how to drive a rig and work the 16 speed gearbox that is.

Procedure is lock the read diff wile driving in front of the sled. When everything is ready and your line up in front of the sled to make the run turn on the hi pressure fuel lift pump (the one on the right in the small movie) and after that turn on the clutch cooling (the one on the left).
Put your feet down on the accelerator and wait until you have 1 Bar or 15PSI boost on the gauge and let go of the clutch like you driving away from a traffic light and on the end of the run turn it all off.

The pulling rig runs like a normal rig and you can put the accelerator pedal down as hard as you want the ECU or ECM will calculate fuel related to boost pressure and will not over fuel the engine like with very big conventional fuel pump.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uS68d570do"]Manne van Janne 2 - Nederhemert 2012.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

The rigs with very big conventional fuel pump are a lot harder to run, even starting the engine you have to hold the fuel rack to the off position than start cranking and slowly apply fuel as the governor will give all the fuel it has and over fuel the engine.
Same goes while in front of the sled, slowly go up in RPM so the RPM governor is not trying to control RPM that hard giving a lot of fuel off boost staling the engine.
All of them control RPM by hand as it’s too hard to use a normal accelerator pedal.

This is the on board camera of a V10 Mercedes.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd0Gh8tXoBQ"]Ruttchen Powerrr - Nederhemert 2012.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Yesterday I had a great conversation with one of my customers from the US about engines with pump injectors.
They had there 18L 6 line on the dyno with a 5” Prostock turbo making a lot more boost than we do pumping out 2300Hp @ 3000RPM and about 5385Nm.
How much was their max torque?

Nice to see that someone actually dynotests their engines and not just draw hp figures out of their hat.

How much was their max torque?

Nice to see that someone actually dynotests their engines and not just draw hp figures out of their hat.

Well I don’t know what their max torque was, would be interesting for me as well to get some idea on what a 6 line stroker will do on performance.

Well if you get the opportunity to dyno test it that is and it will give a load of data to work from and make changes.
About Hp out of a hat, well we got two names for it. Happy Hp for the ones that went on the dyno that made some changes to the OEM ECU also know as chiptuning and we also have mickeymouse Hp for those that like it big but have no idea other than there own imagination and the engine never seen a proper dyno.

I’m planning to use two of these TC-4 serial thermocouple amplifiers that communicate to the ECU on the serial inputs so I will be able to log an extra 8 temperature channels on EGT and compressor and air intake temperature. I also order some faster thermocouple for the intake system as response with 5 seconds is way to slow.
Foto-3I73EA4K.jpg

Just a picture of me working in the office (workshop) building some new diesel test systems that can run about every truck and industrial engine up to 12 cylinders.
Foto-LU86RSZQ.jpg

Tallboy, what do you guys use for clutch cooling? Do you mean a forced air (electric blower?) piped into the bell housing, or is there more to it than that?

Tallboy, what do you guys use for clutch cooling? Do you mean a forced air (electric blower?) piped into the bell housing, or is there more to it than that?

The Semi truck got a 8Bar air system for beaks and other activators so we use this pressurized air and blow this in the bell house and al do it dos not seem a lot it helps a lot to prevent the clutch from sticking.

We use this clutch MRP Racing it’s a 4 plate and I think it got 12,5”plates

http://molinariracingproducts.com/_images/_clutches/12.5assisted_th.jpg

Last edited:
Hey tall boy what kind of injectors are in your pulling truck are they hpi if so what size barrel and plungers so they have in the injectors? I'm building an isx and they have scania hpi injectors with 10 mm barrel and plungers. I am looking for a 12 mm barrel and plunger injector that will fit in an isx. Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Hey tall boy what kind of injectors are in your pulling truck are they hpi if so what size barrel and plungers so they have in the injectors? I'm building an isx and they have scania hpi injectors with 10 mm barrel and plungers. I am looking for a 12 mm barrel and plunger injector that will fit in an isx. Any help would be great.

V8s use Bosch PDE unit injectors.

Well I think its ’more that Scania is using Cummins injectors on the HPI engine. LOL.

Yes we still use PDE injectors.

The Scania is ready and if we are not getting load of rain on the track tomorrow will be our first demo pull and we hope to find out what the new engine bring on performance.

Yesterday we tested the new build V12 Detroit Diesel commonrail engine on the dyno @ low load for team FTF
We run it up to 400Kw an than a hose from the charge air came of so we did not proceed making more Hp. All we wanted to do is break in the engine for more than 2 hours see if we had no leaks and cooling and oil pressure problems.

I must say the engine sound insane. Formula 1 diesel sound.:group:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuMFREsGlGg"]V12 Detroit Diesel commonrail breaking in the engine on the dyno part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwsTLaQXaH4"]V12 Detroit Diesel commonrail breaking in the engine on the dyno part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Next thing to do for the team is to install the engine in the truck and run some truck pulling event and slowly increase horsepower.
Last year ECU configuration worked good so I’m going to that to make progress and have a look what the log data from the ECU tells me.
Adding more fuel on this commonrail set-up is easy, just dial in more fuel pressure.

Sweet victory on the first real test for the engine. Last Sunday we had our first demo event in Loosbroek on a wet stand track as we had a lot of rain in the day upfront to the event.

First pull went OK but we could not get the power on the track so good for a shakedown to have a look if bits and pieces came of.:huh::

Second pull we changed the balance of the truck and on the end of the pull we finally get some power on the tack so we could test if the wastegate was doing its work. Not bad 15 second pull on this bad stand track.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRKFYmhI8DY"]De Manne van Janne 2 Semi truck puller Loosbrook Demo 2013 run 2 - YouTube[/ame]

The pull off. In this run we set the boost controller to 4 Bar or 58 PSI and as expected the wastegate stay closed and turbo speed went up to the max so on the end of the pull the torque reduction kicked in hard as I set it up very save to prevent turbo damage as we still need to fine tune a lot of things and settings. We did get a full pull and won the demo event by more than 17 meter so yes I’m very happy and al the hard work paid of so far.

We changed the way the ALS works to spool up the turbochargers to 1.2Bar or 17 PSI, strange sound on the begin of the pull.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCnbxwmi7w"]De Manne van Janne 2 Semi truck puller Loosbrook Demo 2013 firt place - YouTube[/ame]

I’m also very happy with all the extra data we generate as this gives a better picture on loads of things like we know now that with this engine set-up we go from 3 Bar exhaust pressure to 4 Bar exhaust pressure when we change the boost pressure from 3.5 Bar to 4 Bar. This make it’s more than clear that the HX60 is on the max of what it can handle.

Time for larger turbine wheels....

I’m not going to invest more money into turbine wheels and housings. Still waiting for the BW turbochargers.

Just find out that the Scania XPI and some HPI have a MAF sensor that can handle 0,5Kg/sec easy on air mass so I’m on the lookout for 2 of them to fit in front of one turbocharger and make my own compressor flowmap this way the only challenge is to avoid turbulence over the MAF.

Tallboy can the ecm be put on a daily driver cummins isb common rail?

Yes I don’t see why not we testet loads of ISB engines with this ECM but will it benefit as it will give you all the freedom to do what you want but you have to have an extreme set-up in order to get the potential out of this ECM. Reprogramming the OEM ECU will do for most I think?

Last edited:
Looks like your time is paying off! Trucks sounds good too.

Well yes but we need a load more time before we can make more progress.
(A) we are waiting for parts and (B) we need more pulls to know what the engine dos (C) find out what fuel we can use, can we run GTL for example as this will make a big difference on what type injector to use.

Enjoy that’s if you like 2 stroke diesel engines.:woohoo:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30RIBC14ZCw"]Detroit 12V92 met common rail - YouTube[/ame]

yes i don’t see why not we testet loads of isb engines with this ecm but will it benefit as it will give you all the freedom to do what you want but you have to have an extreme set-up in order to get the potential out of this ecm. Reprogramming the oem ecu will do for most i think?

i hear ya. But i like maxiumizing the stock stuff to it true potential. I had a stock mustang with fast fuel injection on it! It was the fastest stock car in the class but was nice to have a programable ecm when i wanted to upgrade. I like being different. Im a diesel mechanic. So seein some of the stuff your doin gets my blood a goin! Lol but would be nice to pull up to a dmax an smoke hime with clean exhaust.can it run the stock insturment panel or will it need to be piggy backed?

i hear ya. But i like maxiumizing the stock stuff to it true potential. I had a stock mustang with fast fuel injection on it! It was the fastest stock car in the class but was nice to have a programable ecm when i wanted to upgrade. I like being different. Im a diesel mechanic. So seein some of the stuff your doin gets my blood a goin! Lol but would be nice to pull up to a dmax an smoke hime with clean exhaust.can it run the stock insturment panel or will it need to be piggy backed?

The ECM we use has only modbus communication so yes you need to piggy backed the OEM ECM so the instrument panel keeps working.

Back