building a duramax

06cumminz

I am about to start building a 04 lly, never built one before but the time has come. I was thinking carrillo rods, mahle pistons, arps, hamilton cam, pushrods, and valve springs. what else is critical in a duramax, ive built a couple cummins motors. this motor is going in a 4 door 1 ton single wheel, with 35's. the guy wants to make 650-700 at the wheels and wants it to last. let me know what yall think.

thanks

Larger valves pick up a lot of flow in the heads. Twin CP3s and oversize nozzles but at that HP level cam and head work are not needed. With everything you listed you should surpass that with ease.

Im not so sure if bigger valves are even worth the money, i would have to see it on a dyno to beleive it. Stock valves are fully capable of making 1000+hp

rods, head studs, good pump and turbo with sticks and a good efi live tune will make that hands down easily. dont need head work, cam, and all that other stuff for 650-700 horse. rods are the weak link. if you want to do anything valve train wise good pushrods but thats not really that necessary in that power range.

alright thanks for the help... does it need a girdle? main studs? whats the deal with running cut lb7 pistons?? i think that what i read.

People usually cut the pistons to lower C/R. I would spend the money on the Mahle performance cast pistons in a DD. Keep it around the 16.5 to 17 C/R and you won't have any white smoke in the cold weather on start ups when you use the larger nozzles. Rods are a must and at least a 66/74 S300 turbo setup.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Do the stock duramax pistons have a steel insert for the top ring like the cummins?

Where's a good place to get a well built DMax engine put together. Doesn't need to be the best place, just a good competant shop that is familiar with them and could put together a reliable 800 or so hp engine(fuel only). The only place I have talked to is PPE.

Thanks.
RonA

Where's a good place to get a well built DMax engine put together. Doesn't need to be the best place, just a good competant shop that is familiar with them and could put together a reliable 800 or so hp engine(fuel only). The only place I have talked to is PPE.

Thanks.
RonA

I've never heard anything bad about Fleece$.02

Another +1 for Dans Diesel. Although, the drive from Cali to IL is a long one.

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Dont forget about Trent Nell and Extreme Prejudice Racing. He builds some great stuff and is on the west coast as well

Thanks.
RonA

Joe knows his stuff, but probably wants to charge an arm and a leg....maybe talk to Dmitri? I think he builds some of his own stuff. 800 on fuel shouldn't be hard. Rods, hot tune, big turbos and dual cp3s and you're there. Project Sleepermax for DP mag did 744 to the wheels on a Mustang dyno and was totally drivable.

i ordered the mahle performance cast .020 over pistons, the have .075 valve reliefs. its all at the machine shop getting balanced. should have the motor tomorrow and start assemblying it, thanks for the help guys... im sure ill need more of it as i start to assemble it

Back