1st Gen. 12V

Auto: 3 speed: 727 / 4 speed: 47RH

Manual: Getrag 5 speed

2nd Gen. 12V

Auto: '94-'95 47RH / '96-'98 47RE

Manual: '94-'98 NV4500 1 1/4 input

2nd Gen 24V

Auto: '98.5-'02 47RE

Manual: '98.5-'02 NV4500 1 1/4 input / NV5600 '98.5-'00 1 1/4 input and '01-'02 1 3/8 input

3rd Gen. 5.9L

Auto: '03 non H.O. 47RE / '04-'07 5.9 48RE/ Late '07 5.9 AISIN 6 SPEED

Manual: '03-'04 NV4500 (still 1 1/4 input) / NV5600 1 3/8 input.. '05-'07 NV5600/ G56.......
Production of the NV5600 for dodges stopped 1/31/05 so There was probably some still some installed in late '05 early '06 trucks

3rd Gen. 6.7L

Auto: AISIN 6 speed auto

Manual: G56

There you go!!!! all in order all nicey nice :woohoo:

P.S..... When the NV5600 was stopped in '05 I remember Diamler Chrysler saying that a getrag was the original idea, but they were planning on going with a mercedes built 6- speed called a G56..... Is there any "GETRAG" markings on the new transmissions, that can prove it's existance????

6.7 Pickup's got the 68RFE which is based on the 545RFE found behind the hemi's

6.7 Cab & Chassis models got the Aisin 6 speed, dunno the model numbers but it has little/no aftermarket support

All 6.7 manual's are G56 (except mine :rockwoot:)

if you guys wanted to build a 518 for a manual trans 2nd gen truck would it matter which model core you started with? (RE vs RH

i know the e stands for elec but how much diff are the computors for these?

dont they both e&h shift off of gov pressure or am i gonna have to change out the brain and the harness to do this?

really want an auto and have a 47RE right here for next to nothin

the truck is a '97 if it matters

thanks, dick

NO...Aisin is built by Aisin...68RFE is built by Chrysler

Chris

Thanks.. No one could give me a straight answer LOL I double checked today by contacting AISIN.. AISIN is it's own company.. Reason for using the AISIN in Chassis/ Cab models is to provide PTO provision. 68RFE is used in pickups and is a child of the Mercedes engineering i believe.

6.7 Pickup's got the 68RFE which is based on the 545RFE found behind the hemi's

6.7 Cab & Chassis models got the Aisin 6 speed, dunno the model numbers but it has little/no aftermarket support

if you read the rest of the thread, you'd see this was all corrected..
just sayin'....

Last edited:
Reason for using the AISIN in Chassis/ Cab models is to provide PTO provision. 68RFE is used in pickups and is a child of the Mercedes engineering i believe.

Gotta watch though, some 4500/5500's, have the PTO capable Aisin, but, the floor board doesn't have a hump to allow any PTO mounting options.... The floor board runs right up against the trans... I'm not sure if this was only a early model issue since I have not been hearing about it anymore..

Merrick

company.. Reason for using the AISIN in Chassis/ Cab models is to provide PTO provision. 68RFE is used in pickups and is a child of the Mercedes engineering i believe.

68RFE is based off of the 545RFE assembled at the same plant.

The Mercedes was the WA580, made in both Germany and the US.

68RFE is based off of the 545RFE assembled at the same plant.

The Mercedes was the WA580, made in both Germany and the US.

i meant that it was a child of Mercedes engineering, as in the diamler-benz days when Mercedes had their hand in just about everything..

i meant that it was a child of Mercedes engineering, as in the diamler-benz days when Mercedes had their hand in just about everything..

Actually it isn't that either. 45RFE was designed before Daimler took over, tranny came out in the 1999 grand jeep. The 68RFE is pretty much the 545RFE big brother.

The 68RFE is pretty much the 545RFE big brother.

And after 17K miles, I still like it:D It's no Allison as far as picking a gear and locking in, but it's light years ahead of the 47/48RE's for daily driving:D

We'll see how well it lives for the next 100K though!
Chris

Don't say that...Murphy's law is strong with me....

Chris

Edit!!! I should say though, 50K is fine, that's on Dodge...anything after 100K, it will get some better parts. I figure I have about 3 years to scatter it with stock power and Dodge can't say a word!

I have an 08 and i couldn't do it anymore. I had to void that warranty, watching my hard earned money go out the tail pipe was almost enough to make me vomit. That and it sure runs better without that **** on.

Other than making oil, mine runs like a scalded dog...18.25 mpg highway, 15.5 combined mpg city/highway...

Jury is still out on the deletes for me...warranty is kinda important to me!
Chris

Back