5k gsk!!

I love mine....believe mine spins more then 5K .

Mine is a built 13mm pump so it was done on a pump stand and has very nice idle character and VERY peppy throttle response. Little touchy for daily driving

I daily drive with 5ks. They aren't bad once you get used to them. Towing is a pain. I just set mine to 2 clicks to see if that helps. I'll know Friday. Before that, they were very tight. It lost some power going down to 2 clicks, but still runs fine and is easier to drive.

I'm not really gonna drive it daily but what's so much of a pain about them? Are they just really touchy?

I'm not really gonna drive it daily but what's so much of a pain about them? Are they just really touchy?

Touchy and on the automatic transmissions, you can deal with very short shifts as the TV lever/rpm ratio has changed. Not the end of the world, just need to consider it.

Alright thanks guys. I did some research and the only difference is the bottom retainer height so I might try to find some and machine them!

It towed great at 2 clicks, but it is a dog. They are just touchy especially when you have a trailer behind you bouncing around.

My work Truck weighed 14000 plus everyday and it was driven 300-500 miles a day with 5ks I loved it. Was a basically a stock 120 with nv5600 and 4.30 gears. It would got faster than 100mp

Last edited:
Touchy and on the automatic transmissions, you can deal with very short shifts as the TV lever/rpm ratio has changed. Not the end of the world, just need to consider it.

I dropped the trans pan, adjusted the TV valve screw a couple times until I got it right. Now it drives great. Any 12v's I buy in the future will get some Haisley 5k's right off the get go.
I also keep mine fairly loose. 2 clicks in. You definitely lose some RPMs, but you gain a very strong idle.

I've also heard that Haisley's are the best too. Having said that I run a set of Columbus 5K's, the trick is you have to flat grind one end till they are 1.45" tall, I ground mine a little then cool them, grind a little and cool till I got them to the right height using a bench grinder. Then I installed them at .045-.055 stud protrusion and they start, idle and drive just about perfect. The only other thing I did was put a small piece of spray straw in the vacuum line going to the cruise control to take out the little bit of touchiness while cruising.

I fought this for a long time before I was given the right information.

Jim

Im curious about the valve springs as well, especially with aftermarket cams (lift) in the mix.

I just run a pacbrake 60lb valve spring. I'm not out there racing it everyday, but it did eat a pushrod. I haven't had any trouble with the valves.

I've also heard that Haisley's are the best too. Having said that I run a set of Columbus 5K's, the trick is you have to flat grind one end till they are 1.45" tall, I ground mine a little then cool them, grind a little and cool till I got them to the right height using a bench grinder. Then I installed them at .045-.055 stud protrusion and they start, idle and drive just about perfect. The only other thing I did was put a small piece of spray straw in the vacuum line going to the cruise control to take out the little bit of touchiness while cruising.

I fought this for a long time before I was given the right information.

Jim

thanks jim, I will put this to use.

Back