Ford 6.7 reliability???

MegaCabRam

Hey guys, I’ve did some searching but I don’t have a lot of time if I want to get this truck bought. It’s a 2011 6.7 with 250k miles, already deleted. I’ve always had Chevy and dodges so I’m not real familiar with any powerstroke except the 7.3. What’s the consensus on the engines? Stay away ? Thanks

Think some early years had some turbo issues, but I have multiple friends with these trucks and they have been super solid. More so than just the engine. Ride comfort is impressive.

Make sure to use good fuel all the time
In otherwords get fuel from a reputable place. Make sure to keep the water drained out of the filter on the frame rail.

Also it would be good to run a fuel additive that adds lubrication to the fuel. See what Ford recommends for added lubricant in the fuel.

Water and lack of lubrication kills the HPFP.

Other then that and the turbo in the 11-14s they seem to be solid. They also start very good in the cold.

They also start very good in the cold.

I was just telling someone that one of the things I dont like about my 2019 f350 is that Ford still hasn't figured out how to make a diesel that starts in the cold. 15 degrees after sitting all night and it sputters and runs rough for a good 10 seconds and blows lots of white smoke. None of my Cummins ever sounded so crappy/smoky at same temps, 1991.5, 2007.5, and a 2014.

I was just telling someone that one of the things I dont like about my 2019 f350 is that Ford still hasn't figured out how to make a diesel that starts in the cold. 15 degrees after sitting all night and it sputters and runs rough for a good 10 seconds and blows lots of white smoke. None of my Cummins ever sounded so crappy/smoky at same temps, 1991.5, 2007.5, and a 2014.
Really? We have a 17 and an 18 here and they haven't done anything weird, even sitting for a couple days below zero and not plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Biggest thing is leaks. Check for oil and coolant leaks, they like to leak from multiple places, most of them not being easy fixes. Turbo oil/coolant fittings, upper and lower oil pan, vacuum pump, radiator, coolant crossover, rear cover. Turbo is common as well. I've replaced flexplates as well in early models as well - eating/grinding starters.

Job 1 2011 trucks had a problem with the valves cracking and taking the motor out. Probably with that mileage, it wasn't affected. Also, the valve body/solenoid pack in the transmission had low throttle input shift issues but there was a tsb for the affected vins.

As already stated, oil pan and turbo related hoses like to leak. Crap turbo design but updatable to 2015+ which removes leak points and gives you more power at a robust charger. Couple that with a 2015+ hpfp and a good race tune and you have 580-600 hp at the wheels. Dead nuts reliable and all oem parts.

Driveline, frame and suspension is rock solid and better than any Ram or GM.

Job 1 2011 trucks had a problem with the valves cracking and taking the motor out. Probably with that mileage, it wasn't affected. Also, the valve body/solenoid pack in the transmission had low throttle input shift issues but there was a tsb for the affected vins.

As already stated, oil pan and turbo related hoses like to leak. Crap turbo design but updatable to 2015+ which removes leak points and gives you more power at a robust charger. Couple that with a 2015+ hpfp and a good race tune and you have 580-600 hp at the wheels. Dead nuts reliable and all oem parts.

That is very true. 11&12. Ford cannot keep reman 6.7s in stock. They are in high demand, waited 3months for them to get one to us. Have another 2 on order. In 2020 we did 11 6.7s. And are fast tracking to do more then that this year.

I thought the valve problem was only on cab and chassis pickups?

That's interesting. I have never known them to be hard starters. -20f is no problem, they crank a few seconds and there running. Even at 20 above they start no problem without cycling the glow plugs. Cycling the plugs at that temp does not seem to change anything.

I will add this. I have not been around.the newer ones. So can not speak on experience there.

Sounds like something is wrong with yours.

Last edited:
Ivd had a 14 and 17, and they amaze me how they start in cold.

Both of mine have been solid. Minimal maintenance issues. Tows our 305cat on drag on cruise control at 70 while im dtinking cup of coffee

Ivd had a 14 and 17, and they amaze me how they start in cold.

Both of mine have been solid. Minimal maintenance issues. Tows our 305cat on drag on cruise control at 70 while im dtinking cup of coffee

I’ve had 11-17 and friend had a 12-18. Never seen the wait to start light ever come on they all start instantly. Both the 11-12 had coolant leak at turbo and was an $8 fitting. Other than that never touched either one until they were traded at 130k and 160k. The 2017-18 just gets oil changes when the dash says so. Only issue I have with the new ones is the heated steering wheels die.

Subd for this. Been eyeing one real hard the last few months. Just hard to pull the trigger as ive always been bit in the ass by ford diesels. Seems i always get the lemons

What kind of trans mods to support that?

We have a 2017 F450 service truck that lost the emissions pack last year, and when we pulled it in for inspection last month, the turbos are pushing oil.

Truck has about 80k and lots of PTO time. We were told the turbo's for these are back ordered as well.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I really like the truck and the way they’re built but some of these comments aren’t to reassuring. The ease of working on a Cummins is so hard to get away from.

Back