The dumbest simplest problem I can't figure out ?

parkland

Hey all.

So this is such a stupid problem it's embarrassing to ask yet I'm totally lost.

It's a 12v cummins engine and has the fuel shutoff electric solenoid.
The solenoid has 3 wire. Ground, pull and hold.
The pull is working as it fires while cranking but it won't stay running as the hold wire isn't working right.
Swapped to a new solenoid.

Found a key on power wire on firewall, put a relay, and 12v to hold wire to skip the original wire which doesn't seem to work.
So I checked with a meter and hold wire is getting 13 ish volts and down to 11v while cranking so the solenoid is getting power but for some reason won't hold the fuel shutoff on.

Anyone encounter this? It's so frustrating. I'm at such a loss why it isn't working. The power is there it should work lol.

Hey all.

So this is such a stupid problem it's embarrassing to ask yet I'm totally lost.

It's a 12v cummins engine and has the fuel shutoff electric solenoid.

The solenoid has 3 wire. Ground, pull and hold.

The pull is working as it fires while cranking but it won't stay running as the hold wire isn't working right.

Swapped to a new solenoid.

Found a key on power wire on firewall, put a relay, and 12v to hold wire to skip the original wire which doesn't seem to work.

So I checked with a meter and hold wire is getting 13 ish volts and down to 11v while cranking so the solenoid is getting power but for some reason won't hold the fuel shutoff on.

Anyone encounter this? It's so frustrating. I'm at such a loss why it isn't working. The power is there it should work lol.
Key it on and check to see if you show voltage at the ground pin on the solenoid.
If so, you have a resistive ground

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Being you said you swapped solenoids, make sure the plunger is adjusted correct.

Make sure is going all the way into the solenoid, and not bottoming out, or where the plunger still has a half inch to go.

The hold circuit works off a relay in the PDC labeled ASD. The relay on the firewall is for the pull circuit. Turn the key on, pull the lever up manually, and see if it will hold it. Did you adjust the new solenoid?

Key it on and check to see if you show voltage at the ground pin on the solenoid.
If so, you have a resistive ground

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Good idea. I was wondering about that but kinda ruled it out thinking it wouldn't crank with a bad ground but might have to check

Being you said you swapped solenoids, make sure the plunger is adjusted correct.

Make sure is going all the way into the solenoid, and not bottoming out, or where the plunger still has a half inch to go.

Will look into it thanks. Didn't realize it might need adjustments

The hold circuit works off a relay in the PDC labeled ASD. The relay on the firewall is for the pull circuit. Turn the key on, pull the lever up manually, and see if it will hold it. Did you adjust the new solenoid?

Ok. Ya the pull relay and circuit is working. It fires while cranking then dies as soon as you quit cranking.
We couldn't figure out why the hold circuit wasn't working so I made a new one with power from battery and relay and found a wire on firewall that's on with key. I used a multimeter while buddy was cranking and the hold wire to the solenoid has power while cranking and after cranking so that's the confusing part.

Sounds like your hold and pull are mixed up. What does the pull circuit do?

I don't think so, when you crank the engine over it definitely pulls the solenoid and it fires while the starter is engaged.

The white wire in middle is pull and the red on the edge of the connector is hold I think.

If it was backwards I don't think the hold circuit would be enough to run the pull coil. But now you got me thinking ?

Mine gave me problems, I chased every wire. It was dirty connections at the battery, painful lesson. Before that it was weak batteries, not enough volts to hold. Like mentioned above, it should hold when you manually lift the lever(with the key in the run position).

Back