Aisin tuning

buick455

It appears that PPEI has released beta testing for ASIN trans tuning. What are things that could be potentially helped with this?

I'm fairly certain it's shift points and lockup strategy. Talked to a few people that rode in a few of the early test trucks and said it felt more like a tuned 68 and less like a garbage truck.

I'd think if they could get the 1-2 shift speed up and cut the defuel. Then speed up the rest of the shifts it might be a nice contender with the rest of the transmissions. They shift smooth under load when towing, but not fast in a performance senerio. Idk if then need more line pressure commanded. If tuning would speed them up I don't see what the point of an Allison swap would be. (Thinking about the ATS kit)

I'd think if they could get the 1-2 shift speed up and cut the defuel. Then speed up the rest of the shifts it might be a nice contender with the rest of the transmissions. They shift smooth under load when towing, but not fast in a performance senerio. Idk if then need more line pressure commanded. If tuning would speed them up I don't see what the point of an Allison swap would be. (Thinking about the ATS kit)
I'd definitely give it a shot.

Same, makes me want a 18. 3500 single wheel. I think they had the 3.73 gears vs 3.42 like the 68rfe trucks, with all the aftermarket support you can think of for the motor.

Same, makes me want a 18. 3500 single wheel. I think they had the 3.73 gears vs 3.42 like the 68rfe trucks, with all the aftermarket support you can think of for the motor.
I'm trying to see what I can do to drive the test truck. PPEI is local to me.

Will be interesting to hear feedback. I am curious to know if their VB's can take higher pressures.

Are their 5-6th od clutches any larger then the 68?

dont the valve bodies have an issue with pressure leakage..thru a gasket or something? fixable but more than tuning alone. doesnt the shift sel have an issue too? maybe im thinking 68 idk

I don't know if the aisin has crossleaking issues or not. Also I'm trying to remember way back when hpp tuning was starting out he was dynoing an aisin and remax was there and if I remember right line pressure at WOT was around 300 lbs vs a stock 68 at 160lbs

dont the valve bodies have an issue with pressure leakage..thru a gasket or something? fixable but more than tuning alone. doesnt the shift sel have an issue too? maybe im thinking 68 idk

You're thinking of the cross leaks on the 68. Everything I've read says that the aisin has a lot of potential as all components are much larger than the 68. The 68 od clutch surface area is extremely limited.

I'd think they would rival an Allison, but don't know if they could out do a 6r140 though. I'm thinking in factory form.

This is very good news if it lives up to the hype.

I have a 2013 Cummins/Aisin Ram. The shift strategy was ok with stock tires, a slightly worse with true 35's, and was quite poor with 37's. Towing and tunes complicated the issue especially when towing heavy. These shifting and gear selection problems become painful in the hills and mountain areas of the Appalachians. The random low speed trans shudder is nerve racking as well. I ended up swapping the 3.42's for 4.10's which seems to have brought the truck back to how it felt from the factory but it is still clunky and confused at times. It is not well oiled like the Allison trucks I have owned, I can't remember a single botched shift regardless of power level, towing, tires, or tuning in my previous Duramax/Allison truck. My current 6R140 truck is the closest to the Allison in comparison, confident, positive, and consistent shifts which is a big part of the reason I bought it.

I had been weighing the inevitable cost of the ATS Allison kit [which is a tough pill to swallow] vs a G56 swap and even selling the truck altogether. Although it is robust and has taken everything I have thrown at it up to 28,000lb gross, it's flaw has always been the inability to adapt and shift properly or be tuned. I'm highly motivated to try this tuning option to avoid a $15,000 fix or selling a truck that has otherwise met my demands in all other areas.

Back