Impacts: air cat or IR

I have a IR and a Snapon, And i will never buy another snapon gun again, doesnt have the power that my ir has, and my ir has been worked hard than my snapon for longer and still has more power than my snapon.

Last edited:
I love my aircat/nitrocat, use them daily for years, quiet and lightweight, plenty of power, but break out the snappys when i gotta get serious

Ir all the way they take a beatin and won't quit. I Have 3/8 1/2 and3/4 and wouldn't own anything else! My 3/8 alone does more than most 1/2 impacts

Thanks, I thought it was Ir, but they make the mac air tools and cp makes the snap-on ones. I wonder who makes craftsman air tools... Either way snap-on guns are way over-priced and your just buying that name that everyone puts up on a pedestal....

Did you get the titanium or composite? Either way you will be happy. Just keep it oiled and clean air going through it and it'll do pretty much whatever you want to do

Did you get the titanium or composite? Either way you will be happy. Just keep it oiled and clean air going through it and it'll do pretty much whatever you want to do

I went with the titanium. I got a great deal on them, couldn't really pass it up

Not all MAC impacts are made IR.

My MAC impact is a rebranded AirCat.

The AirCat NitroCat is a bad arse impact tho.

I just bought a snap on 3/8 impact and am pretty impressed with its power. Its light weight and easy to handle. I haven't tried any other brand to speak of out side of craftsman and a cheap IR but its by far the best thing I have used. But I won't use it enough to really see what its made of so hopefully it last a really long time for me.

Can't complain with all of our IR's. We beat the crap out of them, use them constantly, and they just never quit.
Newest and best purchase I have made is IR's new 1/2" lithium cordless impact. That thing is nasty powerful for being cordless. Batterys last a long time, and its handy as hell.

Anyone else have any experience with aircat nitrocat? A local cornwell guy has one he is trying to sell me. He wants 325$ its 1/2 drive and 1200 ft lbs. Just wondering if that's a deal or not.

Anyone else have any experience with aircat nitrocat? A local cornwell guy has one he is trying to sell me. He wants 325$ its 1/2 drive and 1200 ft lbs. Just wondering if that's a deal or not.

Jump on it. They are bad ass. But remember that air cats use twin clutch drive instead of a hammer style. It will break bolts, sockets and extensions if you chow down on it for very long and especially when reduced to 3/8".

Jump on it. They are bad ass. But remember that air cats use twin clutch drive instead of a hammer style. It will break bolts, sockets and extensions if you chow down on it for very long and especially when reduced to 3/8".

I will keep that in mind, thanks. He will be at my work tomorrow so I guess I will give it a shot . If I don't like it I can always trade it in. I just didn't know if that was a good price or not.

My father and I run CP wrenchs all day and almost everyday. The 3/8 we use is a great small wrench with plenty of pop for most things. The half inch we use has no power selection in reverse but 4 settings in forward. It is a great wrench, but it hammers so hard it will break sockets very frequently. Good impact sockets at that. Typically ones above 1" in size dont seem to be able to handle the impact. We have started switching to our 3/4" drive sockets in certain situations to keep from busting them. It seems that most wrenches now are chasing that peak beak out power and are just to much for the sockets available. My opinion is if you need that much power to break something loose its time to jump up to the 3/4 even though the half inch might bring it.

Jay

So the debate continues. Before one says "my new brand-A is so much better than my old brand-B" I have a question. Who compares a new LML dmax to an antique ford 7.3idi? No one does! Get the latest of both brands and compare, test drive a 6.7 powerstroke and an LML dmax before you say one or the other performs better!

Take an IR 2135TiMAX and a NitroCat 1200-k

Compare operating pressure and cfm consumed. As the old saying in the race world goes, "there's no replacement for displacement" less cfm = less power.

One mfg claiming their gun can loosen a fastener torqued to 1100 ft-lb vs. the other claiming 1295 ft-lb is pure marketing hype, just compare "BPM" blows per minute.

Take both brands for a test drive!

Please don't take this as me giving a f*** which brand tools you buy, I just don't care for unfair comparison in any market.

IR has never left me down and I've done quite a few side by side comparisons. The specs that matter do show themselves in performance.

Last edited:
Back