Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
Blowproof bellhousing inspection cover top or bottom?

I'm looking at a few different blowproof bellhousings and most have the inspection cover on the top (I assume for tilt bodied trucks or tube frame stuff). For a stock bodied/framed truck, can you even get to this cover if you cut a hole in your floor? or is it up under the dash such that it is a pain.

Feedback?

which bellhousing manufacturers offer a bottom inspection cover?

NEW 6.3 Spec Probell Bellhousing for Cummins For Sale

BELLHOUSING, PROFAB REVERSER, 5 SPEED, NV4500 - Haisley Machine

Proformance Pros Online Store - 6.3 Steel Bellhousing with Inspection Holes and Starter Pocket

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
I think it'll still be up under the dash and not easy to access. I think Jeremy (DISTURBED) has a picture of how he has his reverser mounted on here somewhere - that may be enough of an indication of how little room there would be.

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 01-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
I've looked at it here: Looking for 4500 bell housing with reverser pics - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

He really went to town cutting the floor up

I guess I will crawl under my truck tonight and see about where it would end up. I'm thinking an inspection cover on top would be a real pain.

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
j-rod

Name: j-rod
Title: Up to no good
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
I've looked at it here: Looking for 4500 bell housing with reverser pics - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

He really went to town cutting the floor up

I guess I will crawl under my truck tonight and see about where it would end up. I'm thinking an inspection cover on top would be a real pain.
I think so too. Even if you can access the cover through the floor or firewall, you'll still probably not have a lot of room and have to use a mirror.

14 CC LB
99 QC LB
01 TDI

Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
SuperSonic

Name: SuperSonic
Title: El Vato
Member`s Gallery
I got mine through Browell Bellhousings in Lafayette, IN
I believe you may be able to talk to Brian and get them to build you one with a bottom inspection cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn859 View Post
Sometimes I feel like giving up....then I remember I have a lot of motherfukkers to prove wrong.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Apparently with a normal style profab reverser, the inspection port can't be on the bottom, it can be put at the 4-5 o'clock position though.

However, if you go with the new profab reverser/dropbox single unit piece, then a bottom inspection window will work just fine since just a small piece gets mounted up on the bellhousing instead of the complete reverser.

Lakewood is another manufacturer of an SFI bellhousing too.

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
RyanB

Name: RyanB
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Our can that came from Haisleys is a Lakewood. It is just like the one pictured from there site that you posted.

As far as the first one on Racing Junk...not sure if you fully know, that can is not a total bolt on and you have to run the smaller 3 or 4 disk clutch which has a 12" flywheel or something close to it. It requires the 2 piece adapter plate just like the haisley Can. Honestly, if you are spending the money...talk to Van or Curt and they can hook you up with everything that will almost be a total bolt on. If you have to make your own adapter/mid plates, it can be a total pain...like it was for us!

Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
I plan on running an 11" 4 disk setup for a clutch, so no issues there.

The one on racing junk (which is a probell) comes with a one piece 1" thick adapter plate

Click the image to open in full size.

Are most guys that run a 4 disk slipper style clutch w/ pedal just using a mechanical linkage from the pedal to the clutch or using hydraulics?

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Wow, 1" thick solid mid plate...that would require a 1/2" spacer or custom flywheel to bring the flywheel out past the aluminum mid plate and also require the starter to extend 1/2" further into the mid plates. It is for this very reason that all the cummins mid plates I have seen for a blow proof can are 2 piece. Here is a picture of one of Haisleys mid plates that they sell...the flywheel sits inside the mid plate touches the can.

Last edited by RyanB; 01-11-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Why not just machine the center area down to clear the flywheel? Like this one:

Proformance Pros Online Store - Back Plate for 5.9 Cummins B/ISB to Browell Bell Housing

I guess either way would accomplish the same thing. Thanks for the picture.

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Why not just machine the center area down to clear the flywheel? Like this one:

Proformance Pros Online Store - Back Plate for 5.9 Cummins B/ISB to Browell Bell Housing

I guess either way would accomplish the same thing. Thanks for the picture.
must be different for different types of Can's. Our can and the mid plates I posted have 23 or 24 bolts holding just the can to the mid plates and a few of them are over lapping the motor mount bolts. The can's you have shown have a patern more like your typical chevy belhousing patern(could be wrong on that).

Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #12
joefarmer

Name: joefarmer
Title: MR. Supreme Overlord
Member`s Gallery
How much was that one when you got it, Ryan? Ballpark is fine, just need roughly budget for it.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Brandon, you looking for the price of the adapter plate or the bellhousing and all?

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Brandon, you looking for the price of the adapter plate or the bellhousing and all?
Weighing the Haisley options against what you posted from Proformance Pros. I'd like to price adapter plate vs. adapter plate and bellhousing vs. bellhousing.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
How much was that one when you got it, Ryan? Ballpark is fine, just need roughly budget for it.
I actually bought Shane Kellogs old Can/reverser from him when we went to to the SCS zero drag reverser last season. The can was one of Haisleys and I am not sure of the cost now....may have changed since I priced them new a year and a half ago. We also made our own mid plates because they are custom for the tube frame.

Give Patty a call and I am sure she can put a quote together for you.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
I actually bought Shane Kellogs old Can/reverser from him when we went to to the SCS zero drag reverser last season. The can was one of Haisleys and I am not sure of the cost now....may have changed since I priced them new a year and a half ago. We also made our own mid plates because they are custom for the tube frame.

Give Patty a call and I am sure she can put a quote together for you.
Except the fact that politics come into play and I'm not an 'allowed' Haisley customer.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefarmer View Post
Except the fact that politics come into play and I'm not an 'allowed' Haisley customer.
Can't help you much there then!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
joefarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Can't help you much there then!
Sure ya can. Should I budget $500 or $5000?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
RyanB

Member`s Gallery
....budget 5K and if your lucky and spend a few K less than your ahead of the game!

OR... you could go buy any used SFI 6.3 can off Racing Junk and fab everything up your self including the mid plates and save well over 50% of the new price. From seeing all the different cans that shops are offering now...almost any will work with a bit of "self engineering" and being creative!

Closed Thread