Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #18441
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
It took a 400lb man and a 5ft 3/4 bar to get these out. Probably a 3/8 to install 😂

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #18442
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Lake Roosevelt on the Columbia, you dont want to miss any of the corners on this one.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #18443
hotfarm1066

Name: hotfarm1066
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Pic thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181007_135532066.jpg (291.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #18444
ktllc15

Name: ktllc15
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfarm1066 View Post
Pic thread
Be glad you guys are getting your corn out. There's guys my way that haven't even started on corn or beans yet and now we're supposed to get another 6-7" of rain this week
Old 10-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #18445
hotfarm1066

Name: hotfarm1066
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post
Be glad you guys are getting your corn out. There's guys my way that haven't even started on corn or beans yet and now we're supposed to get another 6-7" of rain this week
Ya, I've been reading that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is a disaster.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #18446
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfarm1066 View Post
Ya, I've been reading that Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota is a disaster.
Yep I'm in SW MN it's been a weird year for rain. I had to have a friend bring his tractor over to mow and bale my yard in August since Everytime I was home off the road it was raining. 5 acres of knee high grass ain't fun with a rider!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #18447
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Hey faulkner? This come outa your shop? Looks like your kind of engineering
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181011_155816.jpg (182.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #18448
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Hey faulkner? This come outa your shop? Looks like your kind of engineering
I use only imported European ScotchLoc's and you won't find anything finer.

If it had bolts in it it’s also not mine. I usually install them like this. Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 10-11-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #18449
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
While i was changing out thermostats in a truck stop parking lot this afternoon I noticed that my turbo is starting to get some end play in the shaft. Side to side and in and out. The in and out is what worries me. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade so I can rebuild this one and set it on the shelf.

Right now this is my current build, 2000 6nz 15k on it since inframe.
Idp one piece steel pistons (acert style)
Balanced 57's
Full tilt manifold
S478 turbo 1.32 exhaust housing
800hp marine cam
I've been trying different files to see which run the best. Usually run either a 7cz file or a modified 6nz file but being I run produce out of California pretty regularly I usually flash it to a 550 file before I cross into the state so it doesn't smoke so bad when going through the gears. With trims set at 5232 and fls/fts set at 74/-19 it takes a little finesse to shift under load with the s478. I've heard that referred to as surge before but I'm not sure if that's the correct term for when it "pops" when you let off to fast. I'm assuming this also is an indication of the turbo being too small?

I'm planning compounds eventually but that'll be in the future right now the truck needs to keep moving. What would be a good turbo to go to? I was figuring an s480 or s482, turbo diesels are still a little new to me so I'm not really sure what to go with for turbine housing size or whether 80mm or 82mm compressor or if there's altogether something that would be better. I do have a pdi nozzle ring housing sitting in the garage I was thinking might be worth using.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #18450
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
While i was changing out thermostats in a truck stop parking lot this afternoon I noticed that my turbo is starting to get some end play in the shaft. Side to side and in and out. The in and out is what worries me. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade so I can rebuild this one and set it on the shelf.

Right now this is my current build, 2000 6nz 15k on it since inframe.
Idp one piece steel pistons (acert style)
Balanced 57's
Full tilt manifold
S478 turbo 1.32 exhaust housing
800hp marine cam
I've been trying different files to see which run the best. Usually run either a 7cz file or a modified 6nz file but being I run produce out of California pretty regularly I usually flash it to a 550 file before I cross into the state so it doesn't smoke so bad when going through the gears. With trims set at 5232 and fls/fts set at 74/-19 it takes a little finesse to shift under load with the s478. I've heard that referred to as surge before but I'm not sure if that's the correct term for when it "pops" when you let off to fast. I'm assuming this also is an indication of the turbo being too small?

I'm planning compounds eventually but that'll be in the future right now the truck needs to keep moving. What would be a good turbo to go to? I was figuring an s480 or s482, turbo diesels are still a little new to me so I'm not really sure what to go with for turbine housing size or whether 80mm or 82mm compressor or if there's altogether something that would be better. I do have a pdi nozzle ring housing sitting in the garage I was thinking might be worth using.

Any suggestions?
Surge comes from too big compressor, change to smaller one, or drive at higher rpm. And find a good tuner to get rid of the smoke.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #18451
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
I can spin that 478 past 50 pounds pretty effortlessly so I have a hard time believing it's too big. And I'm not talking low speed surge I'm talking about when you're pulling it hard and you let off the foot feed too fast and you get a pop/bark sound whatever you want to call it.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #18452
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
We refer to that as a bark. Surge is typically when the turbine and compressor wheels are too close in size in my experience on smaller engines.

I don't own anything stock, from engines to boobies I've modded them all. Life is too short to live with mediocre chit.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #18453
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I can spin that 478 past 50 pounds pretty effortlessly so I have a hard time believing it's too big. And I'm not talking low speed surge I'm talking about when you're pulling it hard and you let off the foot feed too fast and you get a pop/bark sound whatever you want to call it.
Only way to stop that is to put on a bigger turbine housing, or don't let off the throttle so fast. Do something to keep from driving it so hard.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 10-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #18454
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Only way to stop that is to put on a bigger turbine housing, or don't let off the throttle so fast. Do something to keep from driving it so hard.

Chris
I do try to avoid it but it can be challenging when trying to downshift while pulling a grade. I generally try to avoid spinning it up that hard too. It was just in response to the guy saying the compressor is too big.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #18455
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I do try to avoid it but it can be challenging when trying to downshift while pulling a grade. I generally try to avoid spinning it up that hard too. It was just in response to the guy saying the compressor is too big.

As you already know Leiffi is an idiot, take what he says and do the opposite. Your driving it too hard with the 1.32. Only other options are the 1.45 and the 1.58. The 80mm comes with the 1.58 but you will lose some jake effectiveness but will help it live. For about the same price as the S480 you could bolt used Acert compounds on and have zero smoke and a strong jake.

What Leiffi doesn’t understand is it isn’t the compressor thats too large, it’s the turbine and housing is too small to flow what the compressor will move. Shrinking the compressor is a band-aid over the real issue.

I can’t believe you have much smoke with a stock file and 57’s. I wouldn’t go larger than an 80mm borg because your still getting the same size turbine.

Leiffi no one is going to take advice from someone that can’t even spell Cat and thinks 700hp is amazing out of a custom euro tuned POS Volvo. I can flash a stock C15 and make 700hp by accident and never touch a wrench.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #18456
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Yea you can flash your fancy electronic motor to 700... but what can you flash my Cmodel to?

Leiffi is essentially my idol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 AM   #18457
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Do the sdp's use the same turbos as the earlier acerts? Found a good deal on a low mileage take off from someone that went single. Pretty much everything from the right side of the block sitting on a pallet. But I'm not familiar with the sdp's at all.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #18458
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Avoid SDP compounds. They are ball bearing. They are a hair different on their flanges and they cost a few more pesos to replace....like several thousand more.

North American Turbo
Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #18459
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Avoid SDP compounds. They are ball bearing. They are a hair different on their flanges and they cost a few more pesos to replace....like several thousand more.
Well the guy only wants $250 for the entire pallet of parts, are they still that bad?
Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #18460
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well the guy only wants $250 for the entire pallet of parts, are they still that bad?
if they are good now they should last until you decide what you want to end up with. Shouldn’t be too difficult to find a cartridge if one dies, plenty of DF’s that have went single trying to fix a problem that didn’t exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
Yea you can flash your fancy electronic motor to 700... but what can you flash my Cmodel to?

Leiffi is essentially my idol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You drive a Pete with a C model and pull a reefer, your basically Leiffi with a social security number.