Nv5600 weird noise

Sootboots

Ballin on a budget
Ok after installing my valiar dd clutch, I noticed my trans was low on fluid while I had it out. I drained the fluid and filled with 6 qts of Pennzoil syncromesh. I know the clutch has the typical noise but my trans at idle out of gear and lower rpms is making a gear roll over noise all the time. Like they do when going to slow in a gear. Is this something I should be concerned with? Didn't have this noise till I serviced the trans.

If you went from stock to a Valair, I would say the noise is related to the clutch but not in a bad way. The hubs of most aftermarket clutch discs have stronger dampers (?) than OEM/stock clutch discs. Therefore, more vibrations will be transmitted through the clutch assembly to the transmission and produce the noises and when they occur as you described. I'll take a guess... you hear it between 1000-1500RPM? I noticed the same as you described in my NV5600 after installing the single South Bend Con OFE in place of the stock clutch.

Turn the radio up a little or ignore it at idle and don't lug the engine/transmission much.

Last edited:
As far as I know the off the shelf synchromesh fluid is meant for the NV4500's, they have a different synchro design/material. The oem NV5600 fluid is closer to a 5w-30. Not sure if the wrong oil could be contributing to your noise but if it got worse right after your serviced it that'd be worth looking into.

As far as I know the off the shelf synchromesh fluid is meant for the NV4500's, they have a different synchro design/material. The oem NV5600 fluid is closer to a 5w-30.

Incorrect, sir.

SynTORQ is for the NV4500, Pennzoil SyncroMESH is for the NV5600.

His noise is the dual disc, not the fluid.

Back