Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > South Bend Clutch
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Hoss

Name: Hoss
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I LOVE my SDD3250 clutch!!!!!!!

So I have over 3000 miles on my new South Bend SDD3250 clutch now and most of that has been with my Arctic Fox camper on and towing my 4 horse trailer. All I can say is I am SOOOOOOOOO glad I waited this long to go to a dual disc! The clutch is great!!! Still very quiet really nothing more than a slight tone change when you push in the pedal. The pedal pressure I swear is less than stock. First and reverse engagement is easy and smooth. It is very easy to pull away in first or second gear loaded smoothly with no bucking or chatter. I swear if a guy who has a dual disc drove this truck without me telling them what it had you would swear it is a stock clutch. I have no problem backing the truck and trailer uphill the clutch will smoothly engage and not buck at all. The only real thing I have had to worry about is putting it in 4x4 to back uphill on a gravel road into a site a horse camp and that was just keep the speed down so I could negociate the turn into the site. The only real difference in feel from the OFE I took out was that first and reverse are easier to engage and when you are driving down the road it takes a little more pressure with your hand on the stick to engage the next gear. It is a very slight difference. I truely have nothing bad to say about this clutch and highly reccomend it to anyone who tows (Specially animals) and wants/needs a very smooth engagement without any chatter. Even if this clutch was noisy and had stiff pedal pressure I would want it just for the great way it tows.

Here is the info on the clutch I bought http://www.southbendclutch.com/newsdd3250.html

Peter did a great job on this one!!!

Disclaimer: I am just giving my opinion on a part I bought I have no dog in this fight and was not asked to give a review or compensated in any way. I just wanted to pass on some info on a great clutch.

2003 Jetta TDI 5 speed commuter getting about 47mpg

Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
how did they get rid of the rattle when you put the clutch in? are there towers for the floater?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Hoss

Member`s Gallery
The center plate has buttons on it. These are not the rubber buttons that wear out. I do not remember what Peter said they are made of but he did his homework and they last!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
The center plate has buttons on it. These are not the rubber buttons that wear out. I do not remember what Peter said they are made of but he did his homework and they last!
I have the same clutch in my puller gone street truck, and I had him put a regular floater in mine I love the rattle!

I'm SOOOO ready to get my truck on the road and test it out.....so far its just been in and out of the shop a hand full of times.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
StealthDiesel

Name: StealthDiesel
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Did the anti-rattle buttons feel much harder than rubber? More like plastic? Perhaps they are now made of polyurethane?

I've got one of the last noisy style DD3250's made. Although it's noisy with the clutch to the floor, I have not had one issue with it, going on 3 years now.

ATS 3K/5K Twin turbos. DDP 50HP tips, F1 valve springs, ARP headstuds.
SBC Dual disk 3250. Smarty. Glacier Diesel intake plate, air horn, fuel & filter system.
BD Intercooler, ex brake & short shifter.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Hoss

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel View Post
Did the anti-rattle buttons feel much harder than rubber? More like plastic? Perhaps they are now made of polyurethane?

I've got one of the last noisy style DD3250's made. Although it's noisy with the clutch to the floor, I have not had one issue with it, going on 3 years now.
The buttons are hard I want to say thery are kevlar but I am not possitive? When I first put the clutch in several people said "just wait, give it 1000 miles it will get noisy." I choose to wait 3000 miles before giving any feedback because I did not want hear the I told you so. I had faith in Peter when he told me it would stay quiet. He has not let me down yet and I have run and installed a lot of his clutches.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Fox_91

Name: Fox_91
Title: Stihl Slinger
Member`s Gallery
i ahve a 3600...i love it as well. little to no noise, pulls trailers great, just a little jumpy in reverse but i deal with it i ahve had several trucks with south bend dual disks, thats all i'll ever own.

Closed Thread