Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Power Driven Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Power Torque ATF

I've been home-brewing Auto Tranny Fluid for my personal trucks for quite a few years. I've never liked the super-slippery OEM fluids like ATF+4 which are great for grandpa smooth shifts, not so great for high HP tranny life or firm shifts on a race truck.

Several years back my good friend Jamar had a low 13 second 2003 Dodge Cummins 2wd that started to have slipping tranny issues with the original 48re transmission. His ET's had dropped to the low 15 second range due to the almost gone slipping stock tranny. One Friday before a midnight mayhem street legal drag racing night, we changed out the stock ATF +4 fluid and refilled it with my home-brew transmission fluid. We both were dumbfounded when his truck went right back to running low 13's with little to no tranny slippage. Jamar limped the hurt/bandaided tranny along for a few more months before he went in for a full rebuild and upgraded the 48re transmission. That was the first real-world test of how much better a transmission will perform with the non-OEM fluid.

Several years have gone by and we've been slowly tweaking the transmission fluid to make it better and better. Power Torque ATF is Power Driven's finished product and is truly the best transmission fluid on the market for performance transmissions or stock transmissions that need a little firmer shift or more torque capacity for that hot tune or programmer.

So why the title of the post; this fluid is like a shift kit in a bottle. It's been professionally formulated and balanced by chemists and oil engineers and bottled for distribution.

I'd like this thread to be a place for forum members to share their fluid preferences/experiences with custom transmission fluid in their Dodge 48re's, Ford 5r110's, Allison A-1000's etc. So post up what you use in your built or stock transmission and if you try Power Torque ATF, post up your results.

We plan to dyno a bone stock 12 valve automatic with OEM ATF+4 and add power till it slips and flatlines the torque output. We will then simply change the fluid in the tranny to Power Torque ATF and re-dyno. We're hoping to see a 20% increase in torque capacity from the fluid alone, it might be ambitious but it will be fun to see!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

If you'd like to try Power Torque ATF at a discounted price, use promotion code OIL20 to save 20% on your oil purchase. Power Torque ATF is available at http://www.powerdrivendiesel.com/pro...er-torque-atf/
OEM 12v Block

Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 AM   #2
Chrisd91

Name: Chrisd91
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
It'd be fun to see a back to back with type F

95ish 2500 2wd shorty p.o.s.

'12 3500 SRW CCLB 4x4 golfball

Old 10-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
Todd W

Name: Todd W
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd91 View Post
It'd be fun to see a back to back with type F
Agreed. There are quite a few race only low lubricating solvent-like fluids that would make for an interesting comparison on the dyno for racing apps. I wouldn't personally run type F in a street truck due to the lack of lubrication for moving parts and the potential loss of fuel mileage from the "dryer" fluid.

Formerly known as gs1000

Old 10-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
What kind of increase in Temps were seen after the switch?
Is this base stock or synthetic?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 10-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
And forgive me if I asked the wrong questions. Trans fluid is not my thing.

I can say this, if you take the time to outline in this thread, the kinds of chemicals and their functions, used in the currently available fluid tech, in the long run it would help to bolster why your fluid is superior in its intended application.

-Trans fluid type
-What's in it
-Why it's there
-Net effect on power transmission

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Last edited by biggy238; 10-30-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Crickets?

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 11-04-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Big Blue24

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Is this base stock or synthetic?

Power Torque ATF is mostly synthetic with over 50% derived from synthetic base stocks.

Quote:
And forgive me if I asked the wrong questions. Trans fluid is not my thing.

I can say this, if you take the time to outline in this thread, the kinds of chemicals and their functions, used in the currently available fluid tech, in the long run it would help to bolster why your fluid is superior in its intended application.

-Trans fluid type
-What's in it
-Why it's there
-Net effect on power transmission

This will take some time, since there are tons of trans fluid types and applications just within the common Ford, Chevy, Dodge applications, let alone the VW, Mercedes, BMW and other imported vehicles.

I'll compile some information and see if I can post up enough to wet your whistle.
OEM 12v Block

Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Thank you 👍
Anything would be awesome. I will see what my guys have. I don't like to ask questions when I don't have at least some of my own answers.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 12-06-2015, 02:48 AM   #9
Two1racing

Name: Two1racing
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Hey Todd Finally got the fluid changed and threw on a B&M 727 pan in the process.Good news though no more slipping in 3rd or any gear in kill mode thanks for the recommendation and awesome product works like a charm
1997 ram 2500 12valve 4x4 auto MODS-AFC Live Stage 2 w/ 40psi max travel kit,PDD baller on a budget 7x.009 injectors,PacBrake 3k gov springs,3" pusher intake, 4" Jamo exhuast,PDD Powertorque ATF,B&M 727 deep trans pan,21mm rack plug

Old 12-06-2015, 02:52 AM   #10
Two1racing

Name: Two1racing
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

been running it in my truck for about 2 weeks with no major change in temps, did switch to a finned aluminum pan at the same time though
1997 ram 2500 12valve 4x4 auto MODS-AFC Live Stage 2 w/ 40psi max travel kit,PDD baller on a budget 7x.009 injectors,PacBrake 3k gov springs,3" pusher intake, 4" Jamo exhuast,PDD Powertorque ATF,B&M 727 deep trans pan,21mm rack plug

Old 12-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
Todd W

Name: Todd W
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two1racing View Post
Hey Todd Finally got the fluid changed and threw on a B&M 727 pan in the process.Good news though no more slipping in 3rd or any gear in kill mode thanks for the recommendation and awesome product works like a charm
Thats Great! glad to hear it is working for you!

Formerly known as gs1000

Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Mine isn't slipping, but it does have a bad "delay" on the 2-3 shift when its warm, almost like the fluid is warming up and causing pressure loss. Feels like it shifts into neutral for a split second, rpms jump 3-400, and then 3rd engages. Would this stuff help with that? I was thinking about switching back to atf/hydro from the dex I'm running now to see if that would help, but I'd love to try this stuff.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
Big Blue24

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeismad View Post
Mine isn't slipping, but it does have a bad "delay" on the 2-3 shift when its warm, almost like the fluid is warming up and causing pressure loss. Feels like it shifts into neutral for a split second, rpms jump 3-400, and then 3rd engages. Would this stuff help with that? I was thinking about switching back to atf/hydro from the dex I'm running now to see if that would help, but I'd love to try this stuff.
Power Torque is fairly thin, just like ATF+4 to keep converter stall the same for guys that race or compete. I don't think it will help out with a flare on the 2-3 shift unless it's occuring due to slippage of the 3rd gear clutch pack.

I'd check the 2nd gear band adjustment and make sure it's adjusted properly first and foremost. If band is correct, then I'd test different throttle positions to see if the flare is the same regardless of transmission TV (throttle valve) position.
OEM 12v Block

Old 12-13-2015, 07:04 AM   #14
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
Power Torque is fairly thin, just like ATF+4 to keep converter stall the same for guys that race or compete. I don't think it will help out with a flare on the 2-3 shift unless it's occuring due to slippage of the 3rd gear clutch pack.

I'd check the 2nd gear band adjustment and make sure it's adjusted properly first and foremost. If band is correct, then I'd test different throttle positions to see if the flare is the same regardless of transmission TV (throttle valve) position.
The builder adjusted it several times now lol, and it's a constant pressure. Short of adding more cooling ability, fluid change is all I can think of besides a full tear down.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
fordpickupman

Name: fordpickupman
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Question Power Torque

So how does it compare to the tractor fluid that some run?

'96 F350 Colt stage3, Hami valves, built 47rh, 180pump, 181dv, AFClive, 5x012inj, 4k, 60#springs, 19* timing

Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #16
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpickupman View Post
So how does it compare to the tractor fluid that some run?
I asked him that earlier (maybe it was PM) and he said this is thinner with similar grab. So I took from that that is won't lower your stall, or make your transmission act weird when it's really cold.

With 100% HyTrans in my 47re, if it's below ~15deg F, and I don't let it warm up a little (2min+), it likes to shift into 3rd and lock the converter. I'm guessing the fluid must just be too thick. If I let it sit it's fine, or I can do manual shifting and it's fine. After a mile, it's fine as well. It'd be nice to get rid of that though.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
bleedcummins

Name: bleedcummins
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Curious on a few things
1. With this being less "slippery" that ATF+4, is it still ok to daily drive or is it a more race only fluid?
2. Have you noticed it running hotter, cooler, or similar temps to ATF+4?
3. Ultimately it would be best to fully flush and convert trans to power torque ATF, but could i drain pan and fill it only since I don't have a flushing machine to fully flush system?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
cmagee

Name: cmagee
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Definitely gonna be trying this next time I flush mine to see how it compares to the purple stuff I got in there right now. looking forward to it.

08 2500 QCSB 4x4- S467.7FMW, Pusher piping, 120# springs, 625 studs, 3pc mani, AD II 165, CP3x2, 65lpm nozzles, Fleece Coolant Bypass, SB DD, Lazarsmith internals and girdle, Tuning by SilverBullet

Old 03-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #19
Big Blue24

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedcummins View Post
Curious on a few things
1. With this being less "slippery" that ATF+4, is it still ok to daily drive or is it a more race only fluid?
2. Have you noticed it running hotter, cooler, or similar temps to ATF+4?
3. Ultimately it would be best to fully flush and convert trans to power torque ATF, but could i drain pan and fill it only since I don't have a flushing machine to fully flush system?

1. We daily drive this fluid on numerous vehicles, it still has enough "slippery" for daily driving gear-train lubrication and protection. We could have gone a little "dryer" on the fluid for race-only use but we wanted a street-able fluid!
2. Yes, you can simply drain the pan, add Power Torque ATF, and then repeat. Just a 50/50 mixture showed gains on the dyno, but 100% is best for maximum benefit. So its up to you if you want to drain and repeat, or simply do a pan-off change which leaves you with a 50 to 75% mixture depending on your pan depth.
OEM 12v Block

Old 03-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #20
Kick Start

Name: Kick Start
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
How many miles are on your test trucks fluid?

Has a transmission been torn apart yet to see the results of the fluid on the clutches?

All possible because of UNICORNS
Wampus Cat Diesel

Closed Thread