Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Turbo/Super Charger Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Black Diesel

Name: Black Diesel
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
TiAL housings vs divided housings

Before anyone tells me I should’ve used the search feature before hand, I did. Nothing I found directly answered my questions. What I did find was when running a compound or triple setup, TiAL housings would work better for the atmospheric charger(s) over a divided housing but I’m curious if there would be any negative effects running a custom manifold so that one could run a v band housing on the manifold turbo. The turbos used on this application would be a GT42 on the manifold and possibly triples down the road utilizing a GT45 on the manifold. If there isn’t any down sides to running one on the manifold over a divided housing I’d just go that route but I haven’t been able to find anything on diesel applications where one is better than the other. I like the fact of the lighter housings, v band connection, no gaskets or nuts to work loose and cause leaks, etc. but if the consensus is the divided housing is best for the manifold, then I’ll go that route. Just here to obtain some info from those that know a lot more about this stuff or those who have personal experience with this stuff. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Do a search for wastegated steed manifold spool up test. I would go divided.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56cummins View Post
Do a search for wastegated steed manifold spool up test. I would go divided.

I couldn’t find anything in the search criteria under that. Do you have a link for that thread?

Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
56cummins

Name: 56cummins
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
That was done by Milliken right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diesel View Post
I couldn’t find anything in the search criteria under that. Do you have a link for that thread?

Its been too long to remember all the details.

This is close Steed Speed Wastegate Pedestal Divider Plug - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Old 11-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Can anyone elaborate as to why the turbo responds better with a divided housing on the manifold?

Old 11-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diesel View Post
Can anyone elaborate as to why the turbo responds better with a divided housing on the manifold?

Pulses stay stronger up to the turbine wheel. Engine also breaths better because cylinders are not harming each other with reversion pulses.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Curious on this as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a 5533. Going to try to run it as a single.

If a fella built a custom exhaust header that collected all the cylinders just before the turbo, would the pulses actually matter? The exhaust energy is directed toward the turbine individually and specifically where the cast manifold style has three cylinders using the same space (I.E. pulsing against the next cylinder)

Definitely the shorter the better on the primary tubes and should probably wrap the crap out of them to keep that energy in before turbine.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Obviously it’s not an apples to apples comparison but in the gas world it seems like it’s more of a thing to run a header into a collector right before the turbo and they utilize TiAL housings. I was wondering if that same thing (like Bodacious stated) is applied to a diesel (cummins) with a custom manifold/header being built, would you avoid unwanted exhaust turbulence/interference between cylinders?

Old 11-12-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
After burning the divider out of the turbine housing on both an indestructible Borg 1.32 T6 housing and a Garrett housing, I no longer run divided housings on the high pressure manifold charger on large triple turbo setups. In a single turbo setup, I've never seen problems running divided and the obvious spool-up advantage from divided makes it the best choice.
OEM 12v Block

Old 11-12-2017, 02:48 AM   #10
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
Curious on this as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a 5533. Going to try to run it as a single.

If a fella built a custom exhaust header that collected all the cylinders just before the turbo, would the pulses actually matter? The exhaust energy is directed toward the turbine individually and specifically where the cast manifold style has three cylinders using the same space (I.E. pulsing against the next cylinder)

Definitely the shorter the better on the primary tubes and should probably wrap the crap out of them to keep that energy in before turbine.
Too much volume, pulse energy is lost and you need to use smaller charger, which makes more restriction.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
lidas

Name: lidas
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
There used to be a guy that went by the name Lidas on CF that was from sweden that used the Tials with his Garret compounds if I remember correctly. From a been there done that perspective at least feedback worthy.
Still here lurking With our low rpm 6 cylinder I believe the secondary (manifold) turbo works best with a twin entry. On the primary a v-band single entry (tial) works great. Flows better at the same a/r and smaller and easier to fit.
6.7. Carrillo rod's. gtx4088r/gtx5018r. Tial 44mm. Stainless T4 manifold. Hamilton 188-220. Hamilton valve spring's and pushrod's. BBi stage lV. Exergy 10mm twin cp3. Water meth. Fass 260gph. Built 48re, manual v-body,17-250 tc. ARP625.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
These are the types of answers I was looking for! Thanks guys! I wasn’t against running a twin scroll housing but wanted to know if there would be any negative aspects to running a TiAL on the manifold and it seems that in our application, exhaust turbulence would hurt overall performance. Seems I’ve found the answer to my questions!

Old 11-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
okie18

Name: okie18
Member`s Gallery
I think firepunk went to tial housings on their atmospheric turbos and picked up some gains for the pro street truck. Or maybe lynn just liked it for packaging, can't remember which thread I saw it in.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
Black Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Bumping this up. If one were to run a single GT50 or 55, would a tighter undivided housing perform poorly? I can't seem to find anything for those frame turbos divided. I saw they offer 1.0 housings for the 55 but wasn't sure if being undivided would hurt performance too much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Closed Thread