Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 PM   #1161
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
it's looking great. It'll be almost a shame to have to get it all muddy again. Haha
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 02-28-2017, 10:18 PM   #1162
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Thanks, all the fun of building it is seeing how it performs, would be a shame not to put it in the mud...

Don't feel like I accomplished a lot tonight, started going back together with the trans and found I needed a few more thicker steels to get the tolerances I wanted in forward and direct. So will hopefully pick them up tomorrow at Wit Trans.

So I switched modes and made the support bracket for the fuel cell and figured out placements for the fuel cell, fuel pumps and battery box. Got them washed down with the por 15 cleaner and rinsed. Hopefully get them sprayed with the metal prep in the morning if I remember to do it before I leave for work.

I have been able to tick off quite a few things on my to do list...

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #1163
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Today was a day of running errands at lunch and after work. Had to pickup another quart of por15 at the paint store, steels at the trans supply shop and the aluminum pieces I ordered at alro steel. That was lunch. After work, delivered some roasts and eggs and picked up a couple of small pieces of strap steel to make the support bands for the fuel cell out of, picked up more bulk bolts at TSC as well as dog food. By the time I took care of the animals and ate supper it was 7pm.

Got out to the shop and painted the 3 pieces I had ready and then got the clutches setup and clearances checked, played with thick and thin steels till I got it where I wanted it and then got the main section of the trans together. Need to get the VB and OD unit on it and it will be ready to put back into the truck.

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 03-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #1164
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
It's always a good feeling to be going back together. There needs to be about 12hrs more in a day huh?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #1165
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yeah, glad it's going back together with minimal issues so far other than the mold issues I've had. I could definitely use more hours in the day.

Had a busy, productive evening. Finished building the transmission, then moved on to making the support straps to hold the fuel cell in place on the support bracket. Bolted on the home made bump stops for the rear axle, got the straps and rear disc rotors sprayed with wax and grease remover and washed off with water. Then cut out the aluminum c channel and mounted them on the roll cage for the trans cooler supports.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #1166
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Accomplished a few things over the last couple of days. Cleaned up my old big trans cooler by taking it apart and washing it and then cleaning up the aluminum mounts. Drilled all the mounting holes in the c channel for the trans coolers, then sanded and polished a little before putting them on the truck and mounting the coolers. Cleaned up and installed the rear fox shocks. Cleaned up the fuel cell some too while I was at it.

Drilled the holes for the battery box to use bolts instead of the self tapping screws I'd been using.

Today, I mounted the fuel cell with the straps, slapped on the rear disc rotors and then lowered the front down to the tires and the removed the frame jacks stands on the back and set it down on jack stands under the rear diff. My son and I then stabbed the trans, and installed the cross member and transfer case.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #1167
Billylt250r

Name: Billylt250r
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Subscribed!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #1168
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Made the template for the front bed floor and it took a while to get it cut out. But got it on and then I could measure and cut the back floor plate. I took the remaining piece of aluminum c channel and made a support for the rear floor where the radiator is going to sit on it to add some strength. After cutting the back floor, drilled the outside bolt holes and bolted it in. I then drilled up from the bottom for the fuel cell stand, battery box and the fuel pumps. Bolted on the fuel cell and then started cutting out for the fuel pumps. Once they were cut out I could mount the batter box. That's where I stopped for the evening. I'm now where I can start running fuel lines, battery lines, wiring the pumps, transmission lines and start working on mounting the radiator.

poster board, it's not just for whiny protesting snowflakes

C channel support brace. Notched it for the frame rails.

Front part of floor

Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #1169
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
That is looking great!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #1170
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Thanks

Didn't have much time tonight to work on the truck, had to consolidate my clutter in there to move 4 vehicles in before the storm hit tonight.

Did manage to work out mounting on one side of the radiator, seems pretty stable. Guess I will see how stable come race season. With all the vehicles in the shop, wasn't going to try and dig out the 4" x 2" aluminum angle and try to cut a piece off of it.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #1171
muddinfool

Name: muddinfool
Title: NeverEnough
Member`s Gallery
Badass man Always wanted to build a 12v makin good power 2.5 ton with kings or overtime coils on cut farmers

Old 03-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #1172
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Thanks, muddinfool

Been working on the truck when I can over the week, but works been kicking my ass with issues and things to do around the farm and other commitments.

I was able to finish getting the radiator mounted onto the truck and think it will work real well, but time will tell how sturdy the mounts are. Since it was mounted and my order of silicone parts arrived, I was able to really start laying out and figuring out the path for my water lines up to the engine. Found that I was short a few things and so placed an order for those items. They will be here monday.

Put together a 20" x 30" collage picture of the truck in action to take with me to car shows when we go and had it printed. Think it looks pretty cool.

Cleaned up the inside frame rails under the cab and the cross member for the trans and got those painted last night. Made a brace out of a piece of 2" x 4" aluminum angle for the front part of the bed to give it some support if I have to step into the bed at some point to hook up a tow cable.

Hooked up the first part of the fuel lines from the injection pump to the check valves and ran the lines from the fuel cell to the fuel pumps.

I also finished up the graphics work on the hero cards we print up and hand out at races with pictures of my truck and sponsors on the back of the card.

Today I picked up a load of treated lumber to put my son to work building more raised beds for the garden. Got enough to build 5 boxes, 16' long x 4' wide and 2' tall.

Need to rent a dump trailer next weekend to haul some manure filled dirt to fill them.

Mocking up return line idea

Part of the fuel lines

More water lines mocked up

Supply water line design

Return water line design

Other side of radiator mount

Silicone hose for the water lines

Supply lines to the pumps

Pained inside frame rails and Aluminum brace I made

Aluminum Brace

Photo Collage

Hero Card front

Hero Card back

Just a small load of lumber

Old 03-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #1173
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Well, my evening didn't quite start off like I wanted it too. Went and fed the cows and started the tractor and moved hay out for them, as I was doing that, I found a new dead calf by the hay feeders. It was born last night and looks like it either got kicked or stepped on. Also found another live one off with it's momma. So I had to take care of the calf so the coyotes won't make a meal of it.

Finally got out to the shop and started working on the water lines. Drilled holes through that u shaped cross member to run the pipe through it up close to the top of the frame, and then proceeded to start laying out pipe and cutting pieces. Have the return line cut and laid out, need to pick up 3 33 degree bend pieces of hose to make it exactly like I want it. 45's were too much and straights weren't enough.

Worked a bit on the supply line and got the upper parts cut by the radiator, need to cut the long run tomorrow and then will have to wait till monday night to get it finished laid out.

Figured out the routing of the 3 aught positive battery cable, need to get some wire clamps big enough for it to finish attaching it to the frame and cross members. Going to make a new cut off switch plate out of a piece of diamond plate and mount it by the battery box.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #1174
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Worked on the fuel lines today and got the fuel system fully plumbed up to the engine. Also made a condom for the fuel pumps to help keep mud from coming up into the bed. Won't stop all of it, but it will help some. Made a new plate for my cutoff switch and then got it mounted to the bed. Need to finish drilling holes in the bed to get the battery cables up through the bed. Also got the diffs filled up with some synthetic 75w90 weight oil.

Just a few feet of hose

Template and condom

Pump Condom installed

Shutoff plate

Fuel lines

Old 03-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #1175
DieselWrencher

Member`s Gallery
Looking very nice! Sorry to hear about the calf. Hopefully you don't end up with too much of that.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #1176
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Got a little done over the last 2 days, ran the trans cooler lines, got them and the fuel lines all tied to the frame along with the battery cables. All the large holes drilled into the diamond plate to run the cables and hoses through. Yes those are electrical connectors I'm using, they work great for keeping hoses and cables from being cut. Also got the 2 trans cooler fans and radiator fan wired tonight.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #1177
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Finished up the wiring on the truck tonight and got the bed front bolted on as well. Had my son working on building new garden raised beds for this year. I'm adding 5 - 4' x 16' raised beds on top of the two H boxes that are 16' long. I finished putting the weed mat down on the area where the boxes are going while he was cutting the wood and then we got the sides screwed together before we lost the last little bit of light. He has 2 more boxes to build and then needs to make the bracing for the middle of each box. Planning on renting a dump trailer this weekend to haul dirt to them and top off the 2 H boxes from settling over last year. Figure I will need to dig up 5 trailer loads or about 26 cubic yards of dirt.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #1178
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
What Energy Bar

I was wandering what hot spring you frequent or energy bar you eat. It just astounds me how you continue to produce with such vigor and stamina. I've been getting up at 4:00 A.M. and going to bed at 8:00 P.M. It takes at least 1.5hrs in the day to take care of animals and go to the bathroom. No way I could hang with ya.

Quote:
poster board, it's not just for whiny protesting snowflakes
That is golden and all original right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #1179
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
I was wandering what hot spring you frequent or energy bar you eat. It just astounds me how you continue to produce with such vigor and stamina. I've been getting up at 4:00 A.M. and going to bed at 8:00 P.M. It takes at least 1.5hrs in the day to take care of animals and go to the bathroom. No way I could hang with ya.
x2!
Wake up at 5am, to bed by 10-10:30pm. 8-10 hrs of work with a one hour drive on each side, then go home, spend some family time, then work on things. I feel like I'd need another 8 hours in the day to get done what he gets done!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #1180
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
lol, I'm actually limiting calorie intake to 1600 calories a day or trying to atleast, want to drop another 60lbs and get down to 200lbs. Lost about 10 of those lbs so far. I get up about 6am or so and overslept this morning till 6:45, I don't have a set work time at work, but when I go into the office (50 minute drive), I get there usually between 7 and 7:30 unless I wake up on my own earlier which I do at times, if no driving then I brew a pot of coffee at the house and start working after a few sips of go juice. Usually work my day job till 4pm and leave Tulsa so I miss rush hour. If I'm home, and it's a night my wife works, I quit at 3:30 and spend some time with her while she's getting around to head to work. So the nights my wife works, I can do pretty much whatever I need to till I'm too tired to do it any more and then crash. I normally fall asleep around midnight.

Kids are all adults now and have jobs and go to college, etc... I made it mandatory for them all to be here Saturday though, we have a lot of crap filled dirt to move. Soaker hose zones to setup and establish, mulch to put down.... plants started and put into the little green house.

I don't like sitting still, never have. I can't just sit in front of the TV and do nothing. I'm always on the puter researching or doing something on it or reading a book or on my phone doing something. Used to drive my wife nuts, but I think she's finally gotten used to it. Worst times for me was the 8 years I lived out in South Carolina in town in a rental house... bored out of my gord till I hauled my 69 camero out there and started dismantling it and sand blasting it in my little 2 car garage and coating it in epoxy primer or building stuff with the little 110 mig I bought. Still remember using my sawsall and about 100 blades cutting 3/8" plate steel for my workbench top. That kept me busy for a while cutting a 4x8 piece down to 3x6.

I always have projects lined up a mile long to do out at the house and I'm trying to get the american legion post I'm a member of website built for them. Also have 2 other people that want me to build and host websites for them... I need to clone myself.

My son and I made a new tool last night, needs a little fine tuning but think it will work till I can get me a real bead roller one of these days. Should be able to get a workable bead around all that aluminum tubing so the clamps don't slip off.

Closed Thread