Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #12121
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
From I've seen, the new Cummins stuff is way more expensive than cat ever was.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #12122
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
I don't normally consider isx into my thinking as I feel they are worthless boat anchors.
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 01-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #12123
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
From I've seen, the new Cummins stuff is way more expensive than cat ever was.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The people that say cat parts are expensive haven't ever bought Cummins parts. ISX injectors are $100 each more than C15 and they're not even electronic. Timing and metering actuators on ISX are $600 each and it has 4. The list goes on and on. Don't get me wrong they're both $$ but the crown goes to Cummins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
I feel like you're incorrect to an extent... I've been in some c-15's and E's that have been walked on by c-12's.
Hell back when I worked for Ozark Crane, one of our "heavy haul" trucks was a c-10 truck and would out pull almost all our other trucks.
How is a c-12 hard on fuel and expensive to fix?

C12's are good engines but are expensive to overhaul but that's similar to every small block. They are known to eat cams but can easily be made to outpull a big motor and will live there. Compared to an M11 there is no comparison in performance.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #12124
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
On a trip with a rental truck, MB Actros with DD13 at 450 hp, seems like there is one american engine manufacturer who know what they are doing. They must have made some some changes lately because this one pulls like 450 should, earlier they were all lazy as **ck.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #12125
ctd>therest

Name: ctd>therest
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size.
Here's my m916a3 freightliner water truck next to a 657 scraper

Last edited by ctd>therest; 01-22-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #12126
Bad Moose

Name: Bad Moose
Title: Just a pain in the arse
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram12vcummins View Post
Can anyone tell me why my a/c compressor mount bolt keeps snapping? And it seems to break 1/4-3/8" away from the housing?
Check you rear support mount and make sure it is pushed up and tight.
Airraid filter
Edge Evolution for gauges
EGR went bye bye
Old 01-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #12127
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Member`s Gallery
Not sure what you mean by that? The mount is one piece cast and straddles the front timing cover
Old 01-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #12128
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
On a trip with a rental truck, MB Actros with DD13 at 450 hp, seems like there is one american engine manufacturer who know what they are doing. They must have made some some changes lately because this one pulls like 450 should, earlier they were all lazy as **ck.

Your other truck must be a real POS if you think a DD13 is a good engine. I guess compared to the MAN chit you guys have shipped here it's only fair we return the favor.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #12129
Bad Moose

Name: Bad Moose
Title: Just a pain in the arse
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that? The mount is one piece cast and straddles the front timing cover
Crap, I'm thinking of something else. Sorry.
Airraid filter
Edge Evolution for gauges
EGR went bye bye
Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #12130
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why my a/c compressor mount bolt keeps snapping? And it seems to break 1/4-3/8" away from the housing?

Try using a softer bolt.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 PM   #12131
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Try using a softer bolt.

The first ones it were breaking were soft bolts somthis last one I tried a grade 8.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #12132
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Your other truck must be a real POS if you think a DD13 is a good engine. I guess compared to the MAN chit you guys have shipped here it's only fair we return the favor.

I'm clapping on this side of my phone.
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #12133
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Does anyone know where they hide the beacon wire on a 94 w9? Do I need to remove the cab roof interior?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #12134
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone know where they hide the beacon wire on a 94 w9? Do I need to remove the cab roof interior?

Good luck. We did a new W9 glider without cab lights. Found the lead hidden behind the glove box, guess in the headliner would have been stupid.

Luckily they're usually pretty good at labeling them so I would start behind the dash panels. And unlike Freightliner they use more than 2 colors of wire.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #12135
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Good luck. We did a new W9 glider without cab lights. Found the lead hidden behind the glove box, guess in the headliner would have been stupid.

Luckily they're usually pretty good at labeling them so I would start behind the dash panels. And unlike Freightliner they use more than 2 colors of wire.

Lol fml ya they do label pretty well. I found the beacon wire in my other 94 right at the dash with all the switches but nothing doing with it. I think it's a ground. Seems like that's how kw like to do things. So I'm assuming I need to find the hot wire somewhere an connect it to the ground.... maybe I'm wrong but on my one truck no matter what I did for fuses I couldn't get power to the one behind the panel.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #12136
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Kinda unrelated. But with your kw glider, were you able to use the supplied engine harness or get one from a separate vendor? The one I got for my 389 looks close, some reworking, pin moving. and such. But not too bad. Any input?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #12137
Yellow Jacket

Name: Yellow Jacket
Member`s Gallery
I have a 1999 Freightliner with a Cummins N14, CPL 2591, 435hp/1800tq... I have a weak #5 Injector... Can anyone price me or tell me a reliable, fair priced supplier for (1) Injector or (6) bigger injectors? I assume they are rated in CC's or something? Would 500+ HP N14 Injectors be larger, similar to a Detroit? I have no clue and I'm trying to learn.

Thanks.
FASS 240, ProFab Dropbox/Rev, Crower 4 disc, FDS 75, Meritor Alum 20-145, Hart's 3"in charger, Exergy 400% Sticks
Old 01-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #12138
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Kinda unrelated. But with your kw glider, were you able to use the supplied engine harness or get one from a separate vendor? The one I got for my 389 looks close, some reworking, pin moving. and such. But not too bad. Any input?
I took one that came off a 389 glider and repinned it and removed all the aftertreatment wiring for my engine swap. We've been telling guys to order the truck without a harness and just get one from Kustom Truck. They're $$ but they don't have all aftertreatment rats nest that you have to tuck away under the steering shaft.

Quote:
Lol fml ya they do label pretty well. I found the beacon wire in my other 94 right at the dash with all the switches but nothing doing with it. I think it's a ground. Seems like that's how kw like to do things. So I'm assuming I need to find the hot wire somewhere an connect it to the ground.... maybe I'm wrong but on my one truck no matter what I did for fuses I couldn't get power to the one behind the panel.

Kenworth uses a lot of grounding switches. Switch grounds the wire to the panel which trips a relay in the fuse box.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #12139
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I have a 1999 Freightliner with a Cummins N14, CPL 2591, 435hp/1800tq... I have a weak #5 Injector... Can anyone price me or tell me a reliable, fair priced supplier for (1) Injector or (6) bigger injectors? I assume they are rated in CC's or something? Would 500+ HP N14 Injectors be larger, similar to a Detroit? I have no clue and I'm trying to learn.

Thanks.
You can check with Diesel Controls, I dont recall what they carry for N14 parts.

The 525 N14 injector that I come across is 3411767.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #12140
Ram12vcummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I took one that came off a 389 glider and repinned it and removed all the aftertreatment wiring for my engine swap. We've been telling guys to order the truck without a harness and just get one from Kustom Truck. They're $$ but they don't have all aftertreatment rats nest that you have to tuck away under the steering shaft.

Kenworth uses a lot of grounding switches. Switch grounds the wire to the panel which trips a relay in the fuse box.

Ya I found that with lots of the switches. I'll pull the roof liner off and see what I find. I'm gonna have to do that to mount the strobe bracket anyway. And I'll see if I can find something behind the dash.