Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #1
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Gooseneck shock/air hitches

Thinking about trying one out. I have a 36ft. dual tandem flatbed that gets loaded with about 10,000lbs. I do a lot of interstate driving with it. It tows pretty nice behind my Duramax, but there is always some back and forth jerking that you can feel in the truck. Anyone have any input or reviews on using them? Looks like there's basically 2 popular options. One stays with your truck, and the other installs on the trailer neck. I made a post on facebook and had a couple of guys tell me that they wouldn't run without them, but had 1 guy tell me that he didnt notice any difference. Thoughts?

http://www.codyhitch.com/cody%20cushion.htm

http://shockerhitch.com/Gooseneck_Surge.php

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 06-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #2
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I've always wanted to try on, Josh. I like the trailer side ones since they will install by just replacing the tube, but I hate the idea of swapping a tube or buying three or four since I pull a different trailer each week it seems. If all your trailer have a round or square coupler tube and the insert pins the same, then swapping wouldn't be too hard I guess except I'm sure they aren't light. I think I'd rather have one mounted under the truck and hidden.

The push/pull of the two truck when I have the 4020 on the trailer is horrible so I know where you are coming from.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
ikeG

Name: ikeG
Title: Oughta Know Better
Member`s Gallery
They say the new Chev chassis(2011+) takes all the negative gooseneck ride qualities away, especially the forward/backward jerking. I have no experience myself, but have sold two 2015's to fellow pullers here that towed with 05&06 chevys previously and they both say the same thing about the new chassis. One is a CC SB and one is a CC LB DRW.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #4
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
I ordered a Cody Cushion brand. Supposed to be here this coming week. We'll see how it goes

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
I stiffened up my steel trailer.. no more bounce or f/r buck
Neck slop caused bucking
Click the image to open in full size.
Added a 2*2*1/4 square tube bridge took care of my bounce
Click the image to open in full size.

The croosman is substantially stiffer.. no bucking.. only bounce i get is if i over/under shot the sweet spot on the leaf springs on the truck... plus id bottom out both those due to pin weight i run
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Our trailer is 11,800lbs empty, 14" main beams, 12" torque tube down the middle...we twisted a couple trailers over the years, so Corn Pro builds them so they won't twist for us now.

The will bounce you just a little from 63-66mph or so, only when empty. I don't see any flew really in the trailer, so I'd have to think that Adam is right that it's the trailer flex starting the whole deal.

Obviously, if you don't get it loaded right, it will bounce/buck a little on rougher roads, but I'm not sure how to get rid of that once you're up over 40K gross.
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 12-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
dordtrecht5

Name: dordtrecht5
Title: Mr. Having Fun
Member`s Gallery
I know a gal that hauls horses across the country with a Kodiak with air ride and air at the hitch. She loves it because the air at the hitch takes the shock out of the weight on the truck and also smooths the ride for the horses in the trailer from the jounce coming up through the gooseneck from the truck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Best 1/8 8.09@87 (Fall '09) Best 1/4 12.91@103
EFILive
Got Cheese? Work RAT!

Closed Thread